Cheap Transport

Originally launched as Cheap Transport and later changed to Choice Transport, we bought CT in June 2021 in a pretty sorry state. As a family of 5, we'd looked at Lotus 9.2, Carpenter 29, and Y88s a this was to be out first boat, but quickly determined none of these options big enough for our growing family. Hence ending up with a 1020.

I won't go into details re survey, mechanicals etc, let's just say I can now see why many looked and walked away😂 As a first time owner though, I didn't know any better, and as they say, I jumped in balls and all!

We made a plan on day 1 that as a family we'd be spending Xmas/NY on the water for 2 weeks (FYI my family have zero sailing experience, so pretty big call right...) so straight away we began stripping CT out with the hope of having her ready (comfortable) by Christmas.... then boom - another 6 week Covid lockdown. 

Long story short, a caged trailer load of wet, rotten timber and rubbish removed, and many long hours later (with the help of a few great friends), at midday on Christmas eve, my final deadline, I felt CT was finally comfortable enough to take the family away for our first adventure. No kidding, we left 45 min later 🤣

We managed 10 days together on the boat with nights spent at Kawau, Hen and Chicks, Tutukaka and various spots around the BOI. A total of 330NM for our first trip, again not bad for a non sailing family. 

Various weekends away since then brings us to today and the latest project - a full strip back to gel coat in preparation for a repaint. CT came out of the water on the 5th May and will be going into the shed at our local club this coming week. 

Few photos below of our progress so far, will keep updating as we go. Hopefully this coming summer we'll end up with a boat the wife isn't embarrassed to be seen on🤣

Screenshot_20210914-044044_Chrome.jpg

20210814_133418.jpg

20210814_133410.jpg

Screenshot_20210820-104253_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220515-094128_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

If anyone, particularly 1020 association members can tell me the history of CT out would be appreciated. Judging by the battle scars under the poor paint job, she been raced fairly hard at some point (our sailed very poorly). I know she won the Nationals in '89 and '91, and the NZ Match racing championship in 1990. Would love to know more though. 

Nice work! I always preferred the original name. While your into interior mods.... I'd chop out the pole by the galley. It's not required structurally and without it opens the boat up

I believe Colin Maddren used to own/race Cheap Transport in it's glory days. Trevor Dunn owned for many years until recently. I believe he was responsible for the name change and the "Laser Kiwi"

I like what you have done to make the floor look like the expensive teak and holley, what did you fill the grooves with as it would have to be flexible to some degree and retain it's durability. I also found if you don't apply sealer to the edges of the sheets water enters the board and stains it.

On 15/05/2022 at 9:40 PM, Cameron said:

Nice work! I always preferred the original name. While your into interior mods.... I'd chop out the pole by the galley. It's not required structurally and without it opens the boat up

I believe Colin Maddren used to own/race Cheap Transport in it's glory days. Trevor Dunn owned for many years until recently. I believe he was responsible for the name change and the "Laser Kiwi"

Please don't mention the dreaded Laser Kiwi,  it still haunts me🤣 good to know re the "non supporting" support post... out she goes! 

4 hours ago, Bigmac said:

Please don't mention the dreaded Laser Kiwi,  it still haunts me🤣 good to know re the "non supporting" support post... out she goes! 

HL has never had the post from day 1

7951D14B-D820-46A9-BACF-A08D7C7FE345.jpeg

2A74EFED-76EC-4365-8168-0A81247BFEBE.jpeg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ballystick said:

I like what you have done to make the floor look like the expensive teak and holley, what did you fill the grooves with as it would have to be flexible to some degree and retain it's durability. I also found if you don't apply sealer to the edges of the sheets water enters the board and stains it.

I used the 417 (I think) west system filler - whichever is the cream coloured one. I stained the gaboon ply with a Feast Watson floor stain, mixed to a custom colour. Then masked out only leaving the grooves. Filled grooves with the epoxy 417 faring mix, followed by 3 coats of West System ultra clear epoxy on all sides/edges, and finished with 3 or 4 costs of a gloss polyurethane for UV stability. Probably overkill for the old girl but I love the look😁

• Like 1