Cheap Transport

Great work, looks just as good as spray job. Can you give some tips on how you go about your roll on paint job, what paint, what to do, what not to do and  what to watch out for. Seriously thinking of painting the cockpit. Thanks

4 minutes ago, k88 said:

Great work, looks just as good as spray job. Can you give some tips on how you go about your roll on paint job, what paint, what to do, what not to do and  what to watch out for. Seriously thinking of painting the cockpit. Thanks

Hi K88, I used west Systems epoxy with various powders for filling and fairing, and Upol Dolphin Glaze for minor pin holes etc. I sanded the gelcoat back using orbital or hand sanding with 60 and 80grit. Applied first coat of Epoxy undercoat and when fully cured, sanded with 180grit. Applied second epoxy undercoat and again sanded with 180grit. For my epoxy undercoats I used Durepox (with 10% thinner), in hindsight I would use a hi build epoxy from Altex and I probably would have got away with 1 coat. Altex Polyurethane undercoat was then applied (with 10% thinner) and when cured this was sanded back with 240grit. 

Top coats were Altex Elite 321 2 pot. This is designed to be applied by brush or roller. Both coats were thinned 7%.

All products didn't recommend thinning if the temp was under 20° and high humidity. However, when practicing with the paint without thinner it bubbled (micro bubbles) and they never flowed out. No issues once thinner added. 

I applied all coatings using CQ mini mohair roller sleeves. I removed all loose fibres first by wrapping tape around the sleeve and pulling it off, followed by a light wash in thinners prior to painting. 

I only brushed where cutting into the toe rails. I rolled in multiple different directions in sections about 1m wide and then layed off with the roller in one direction, top to bottom. You must keep a wet edge with all these coatings so it's important you either have enough paint mixed up to complete an entire area, or you have someone there mixing as you go as all products have a 15-20 min induction time.

If you are masking anything, I'd recommend a rice paper (washi) masking tape. It's super thin, no stretch, and leaves Razor sharp lines with no bleeding. A lot of the premium washi tapes have a wax coating on them so the paint won't dry on the tape and tear when you remove it. 

In total I used 5L of Durepox,  approx 4L of Altex Polyurethane UC and 5L of Altex Elite 321 which includes the 2 coats for all the non skid. 

Feel free to pm me if you want further info👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BTW if the above-mentioned on my painting reads a little like an advertisement for Altex, it wasn't intended. I initially was going to use International Perfection but my final decision was based on budget, and advice from those who have used both products in similar wintery conditions.

So yesterday Cheapy was finally put back in her happy place, Yes, she's wet again. Not quite complete but a couple of days of reinstalling fittings and a couple of weekends to paint the rig and she'll be good as new. 

Few shots from the last couple of days. 

20220804_180757.jpg

20220804_144815.jpg

20220804_144753.jpg