Calling all Chico 30 Owners

Out there in sailboat land thee are something like 70 Chico 30s. Our Chico, Auriga, will soon be up and running (well ...soon-ish) and I am wondering if there would be any interest in something like a Chico Rally - I am thinking of maybe a 'race' from somewhere to Motuihe on a Saturday with those who need to go home go, and those that can stay, stay for a bit of social. Maybe 3-4 'events' over summer, whatever. Let me know if there is any interest and I will/may attempt to organise.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lebleaux said:

Out there in sailboat land thee are something like 70 Chico 30s. Our Chico, Auriga, will soon be up and running (well ...soon-ish) and I am wondering if there would be any interest in something like a Chico Rally - I am thinking of maybe a 'race' from somewhere to Motuihe on a Saturday with those who need to go home go, and those that can stay, stay for a bit of social. Maybe 3-4 'events' over summer, whatever. Let me know if there is any interest and I will/may attempt to organise.

Not a Chico owner but good to hear that work is progressing on Auriga.  Where is she now?

Auriga is on H Pier at Westhaven. Topsides have been painted back to original yellow. Some rot removed from the deck in the forepeak and over the main hatch. The cabin has been painted and we are waiting for a fine couple of days to get some deck paint on.Still very much a work in progress - we are not trying to make it pristine and pretend its new, but accept it is an old boat with a proud history and just give it a bit of a refresh. Drop by if you are in the neighbourhood - the fridge will be recommissioned soon-ish ... 

• Like 1

A fellow sailor in Tauranga who owns a Chico 30 just completed a circuit of the South Is or both maybe and previously sailed it around the world, Johanna is the boat name. They seem to be a very safe boat.

On 17/05/2022 at 7:31 PM, lebleaux said:

Hi Lebleaux

I own a Chico 30. It’s been in my family for nearly 40 years. Berthed Pier M at Westhaven and you’re welcome to come have a look and trade war stories.

Another Chico owner is connecting owners with a view to entering a Modern Classic division at the annual Mahurangi Classic Yacht Regatta. 

Feel free to contact me by PM.

Regards

SR

1 hour ago, Sail Rock said:

Hi Lebleaux

I own a Chico 30. It’s been in my family for nearly 40 years. Berthed Pier M at Westhaven and you’re welcome to come have a look and trade war stories.

Another Chico owner is connecting owners with a view to entering a Modern Classic division at the annual Mahurangi Classic Yacht Regatta. 

Regards

SR

You guys could create a division in the coastal classic ….I think you need 5 boats to create a design Div 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sail Rock said:

Hi Lebleaux

Regards

SR

Have sent you a PM

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I own a Chico and tried to get 5 Chicos to enter this year's Mahurangi modern classics division but only 2 of us made it. A rally to Motuihe might be more successful.

PM me your contact details, the Mahuramgi regatta is something we would readily embrace.

Yep they did. Pretty sure Glenn and Judy overwintered on the the Seine in Paris, snow on the decks and all.

The night the picture was taken the French yacht in front of them dragged them down onto the reef just out of picture to the left. With the help of all the Kiwis and Aussie yachties nearby, some ones thumping big kedge anchor, our spare anchor warp, a few guys on the boom etc, they got off with only a few scratches on the keel and a bit of paint off. So lucky.

I lent Glenn the book perfect storm about that infamous Sydney to Hobart race. When he returned it I asked if he let Judy read it. He said christ no, if I did that we would never go.

Another story about that boat. When thinking of going offshore they decided to maybe sell the Choco 30 and get something a bit bigger, namely a Chico 35. Candidus was advertised and a very keen buyer had been in contact with them. Glenn had arranged for an open boat day at the PYBC wharf but he ended up having to work that day so left Judy to do the sales pitch.

Prospective buyer arrives but meanwhile Judy had decided she had complete faith in Candidus and didn't fancy a bigger boat so spent the day bagging the boat a duly lost the sale. A decision I don't think either of them regretted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi there,

We own a Chico30 - Chit Chat - down in Wellington. We believe she was the second or third last to be built. Fantastic first boat for us. We spent the summer exploring the sounds and sailing through to Nelson, gave us a lot of confidence knowing we had a solid boat.

Sing out if you’re ever down this way and are keen to take a look

Trav 

FD233ED2-056A-4B76-9022-60A664DD1DC5.jpeg

On 13/06/2022 at 9:24 PM, Trav Mills said:

Hi there,

We own a Chico30 - Chit Chat - down in Wellington. We believe she was the second or third last to be built. Fantastic first boat for us. We spent the summer exploring the sounds and sailing through to Nelson, gave us a lot of confidence knowing we had a solid boat.

Sing out if you’re ever down this way and are keen to take a look

Trav 

FD233ED2-056A-4B76-9022-60A664DD1DC5.jpeg

She looks very tidy 🙂