Calling all Chico 30 Owners

On 24/09/2022 at 5:24 PM, Toltec said:

Toltec has a shorter cabin and 3 windows we loved her for the longer cockpit and all the berths are 6ft5 as I am 6ft4 finding a boat with long berths can be challenging 

What sort of headroom do they have? I'm 6'2" and don't love low headroom in a cruiser, but this made me think twice. 

Hi , I own Chico 30 Welcome home, Kauri timber hull, I wonder if anybody know the history of this yacht, I am sailing in the Queens Charlotte Sounds. Love the boat, sailing most sunny days, summer and winter. I would love to learn the history, of the boat,

Thanks

For the Chico 30 aficionados out there, attached is an article from Sea Spray about the original Chico before she entered the 1971 Whangārei- Noumea race. More about the race in my next post …

IMG_1419.jpeg

I don't think people would say "built for speed" these days! 🤣  Just goes to show what was considered a fast cruiser then...

Black Panther may have done the 1971 race?

On 9/07/2023 at 12:35 AM, Black Panther said:

However to keep to the current topic I did Mooloolaba to Auckland in 1978? On Chubasco.

Interesting, BP. Chubasco is moored on the piles in Westhaven. Still seems to be in reasonable condition.

… and here is the account of the 1971 Whangārei - Noumea race. It appears the skipper and crew of Buccaneer enjoyed a ‘gentlemanly’ race with five star dining and plenty of victuals, particularly when they realised they were being well beaten by Chico and Kishmul!

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

On 12/05/2023 at 9:58 AM, Mark Trubuhovich said:

Hi there, just noticed this conversation re our beloved first boat Chit Chat. We bought her in 1997 and believed that she was the last out of the mould, or close to that.

Funny what ya find online sometimes.  I just brought Chit Chat, an intend shifting from Wellington to Tauranga as my first trip. 

On 17/05/2022 at 7:31 PM, lebleaux said:

Out there in sailboat land thee are something like 70 Chico 30s. Our Chico, Auriga, will soon be up and running (well ...soon-ish) and I am wondering if there would be any interest in something like a Chico Rally - I am thinking of maybe a 'race' from somewhere to Motuihe on a Saturday with those who need to go home go, and those that can stay, stay for a bit of social. Maybe 3-4 'events' over summer, whatever. Let me know if there is any interest and I will/may attempt to organise.

Yea I'd be happy to get involved.  Mines in Wellington as I write but desperately looking to move to Tauranga soon.

On 22/09/2022 at 7:34 PM, Toltec said:

The mould was taken off the 5th one built I think they built about 65 glass ones Toltec was number 4

I have heard they built around 70 from 1970's on. I have the last or second to last built (still to confirm) Chit Chat

I'm currently getting Gentle Touch rerigged as it's 12 years old . Rob from Gulf harbour rigging showed me the half broken tang he found on the mast . We had been out in that big blow on the Saturday 2 weekends ago . The broken tang was on the port side luckily as we were on starboard tack on the way down to Motutapu in gusting 50kn. It stood up to the 20kn port tack on the way home on Sunday,  but it will be a big relief to have a new rig. The boat is coming up to 40 years old and some of these fittings are probably original . I think I'll have a good look at all the stanchions now. 

• Upvote 1

We're the proud owners of a Chico30 named "Chit Chat" based in Wellington. It's our belief that she might have been one of the second or third-to-last boats of this model ever built. It has been a fantastic first boat experience for us. Over the summer, we've had the pleasure of exploring the beautiful sounds and sailing all the way to Nelson. This journey has given us tremendous confidence in the boat's solid construction and performance.