New Genoa

Time for a new genoa. Anyone care to recommend a place to get one?

She is a 12 ton (heavy) 40 footer. We don't race, very much cruisers with some off shore.  More than likely just need something in Dacron, but so many options.

I don't want the gold plated solution, nor the cheapest, just good middle of the road product from a reputable supplier. Looks like these days you can do it online from an overseas loft, which I am not against either.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, bigal.nz said:

She is a 12 ton (heavy) 40 footer. We don't race, very much cruisers with some off shore.  More than likely just need something in Dacron, but so many options.

I don't want the gold plated solution, nor the cheapest, just good middle of the road product from a reputable supplier. Looks like these days you can do it online from an overseas loft, which I am not against either.

Thanks

Is thornburrow your local ?  I’ve heard good things about the young chap who took over ,  from people who have worked with him .

Thornburrow Sails Tauranga was taken over by Burton Sails. Sam does a great service that includes taking the boat for a sail to check trim, adjusting sail specs to suit yacht and usage so he would be able to sort out a good solution for you but I think you are in Half Moon Bay so someone else should be able recommend a local supplier.

Asia will definitely be cheapest

Cruise laminate that’s radial cut will last twice as long as cheap Dacron, not physically but hold its shape twice as long.

All depends on are you looking for a 5 year solution and don’t sail upwind or a 10 year solution that will still point well it whole life.

Dont be disappointed if you go cheap and it doesn’t last, but that’s what some people want, to me a heavy 40’er is probably over the limit for Dacron, but others will disagree 

11 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

Thanks

How worn out is your old one, what is the size and how much would you want for it? Oh and is it furling?
I have a mate badly needing one for my old Boat, just to get him around for now, till he can eventually afford a new one. His came unfurled in a storm while he was not aboard and was shredded.

Oh and when you get a new one, please let me know what it cost you.

2 minutes ago, wheels said:

How worn out is your old one, what is the size and how much would you want for it? Oh and is it furling?
I have a mate badly needing one for my old Boat, just to get him around for now, till he can eventually afford a new one. His came unfurled in a storm while he was not aboard and was shredded.

Oh and when you get a new one, please let me know what it cost you.

The material is still there - the UV strip is falling off. I can send photos.

18 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

Have a chat to Doyles. They have a wide range of laminates for different purposes and prices. You’ll get quality. 

I couldnt even see there phone number on the website.

31 minutes ago, southernman said:

Go cruise laminate, hard as nails and it lasts.  

Yeah I have seen that product, the info I got was holds its shape longer, but doesnt last as long as dacron. (which lasts longer but looses shape faster)

Zoom Sails is a good option if you look overseas. Ex Kiwi guy who gets them built in a mega loft in Sri Lanka. We got a new Dacon furling Genoa from them last year. THe materials and workmanship are excellent. 

5 hours ago, Adrianp said:

Zoom Sails is a good option if you look overseas. Ex Kiwi guy who gets them built in a mega loft in Sri Lanka. We got a new Dacon furling Genoa from them last year. THe materials and workmanship are excellent. 

Yes I have heard good things about them too. A little worried about getting stuff out of SL at the moment.

I got a brand new main for my Cavalier 26 approx 3 years ago through Brent Gillies at BG Sails in East Tamaki, Auckland. He outsourced it to Hydes in London who I believe have their loft in the Phillipines. I received a fantastic sail with awesome stitching which is still going strong and still looks like new several years later for approx 2 thirds of the price quoted in NZ.

12 hours ago, DBLRUM said:

I got a brand new main for my Cavalier 26 approx 3 years ago through Brent Gillies at BG Sails in East Tamaki, Auckland. He outsourced it to Hydes in London who I believe have their loft in the Phillipines. I received a fantastic sail with awesome stitching which is still going strong and still looks like new several years later for approx 2 thirds of the price quoted in NZ.

yes was going to mention him,excellent service and sails well made. I believe a lot NZ lofts send details overseas and have cut and stictched back here in NZ

Only problem with Chinese is ensuring the quality, specifically the UV quality of the material. The place I work out of are Canvas workers and they struggle big time compeating with Chinese made product. It is a fraction of the price. Often the fully finished Item retails less tht just their Buy price of the NZ supplied material. The difference is, if the item is for outside use, the customer might at best, get 18months from it. Usually it is severely faded in 6months and falling apart in 12. If it is something that is brought inside after use, they tend to get 3years from. Sadly the Chinese stuff is so cheap, that often the Customer prefers to replace with the same with the view of throwing it away in 12 to 18months, rather than pay 4 to 5 times the price. Of course the complexity of the job also comes into it. One of the big problem items is large deck unbrella's, which take a lot of material and time.
Anyway, I side tracked myself. What I am saying is beware of the quality of UV protection "Cheap" may give you.

A lot of lofts get some of their sails made offshore, design and IP is what you pay for plus brand support. When they are competing in a tight margin market and everyone else is doing it then the only way to compete is matching them. I dont know the numbers in the sail business but typically offshore lofts that use the same cloth are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of NZ made. Once you buy them you are on your own- forget about after sales service!

I am in two minds about this ( I have never done it btw) the first is sending work offshore that could be done by a NZ'er and help our local economy, there is moral conflict. OTOH it seems a bit on the nose that a sailmaker based in NZ does the same and essentially takes the profit so why shouldnt I just do likewise and avoid the middle man? There are a lot of factors involved and plenty of people have got great results offshore but I would be reluctant if the project was complex or expensive as once you've paid your money, as mentioned the support is non existent or a long way away.

Regarding the offshore quality issue, I dont think its any different to anywhere else, Rolly Tasker, Far East or whoever have good reputations for quality- the issue is usually what you spec.

Seems like offshore manufacture is going to be the way to go for a cruising sail. Only real question is how much you pay for someone local to spec it and take some service responsibility.