New Genoa

2 hours ago, Psyche said:

A lot of lofts get some of their sails made offshore, design and IP is what you pay for plus brand support. When they are competing in a tight margin market and everyone else is doing it then the only way to compete is matching them. I dont know the numbers in the sail business but typically offshore lofts that use the same cloth are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of NZ made. Once you buy them you are on your own- forget about after sales service!

I am in two minds about this ( I have never done it btw) the first is sending work offshore that could be done by a NZ'er and help our local economy, there is moral conflict. OTOH it seems a bit on the nose that a sailmaker based in NZ does the same and essentially takes the profit so why shouldnt I just do likewise and avoid the middle man? There are a lot of factors involved and plenty of people have got great results offshore but I would be reluctant if the project was complex or expensive as once you've paid your money, as mentioned the support is non existent or a long way away.

Regarding the offshore quality issue, I dont think its any different to anywhere else, Rolly Tasker, Far East or whoever have good reputations for quality- the issue is usually what you spec.

I Agree and getting local means you can get luff curve or whatever adjusted in a timely manner after it’s fitted 

On 20/05/2022 at 6:19 PM, DBLRUM said:

I got a brand new main for my Cavalier 26 approx 3 years ago through Brent Gillies at BG Sails in East Tamaki, Auckland. He outsourced it to Hydes in London who I believe have their loft in the Phillipines. I received a fantastic sail with awesome stitching which is still going strong and still looks like new several years later for approx 2 thirds of the price quoted in NZ.

If you're in Half Moon Bay definitely have a chat with Brent at BG Sails.  For me he's done a great job in specifying sail requirements that matter to me without shoving the latest and greatest tech down my throat (my requirements are for robust performance including simplicity and longevity as opposed to peak performance at all costs).  He has years of experience and loves a good chat!!

Through outsourcing the construction overseas he provides competitive prices while being available locally to resolve any issues and back up the product.  Fairly long lead times at present (I have a new main coming soon which has taken about 3 months), but that applies to so many things right now.  

• Upvote 1

Brent is good, I have been a customer since I purchased my first keel boat, very helpful and customer focussed. The only other loft I used was Windward Sails, I don't think they are still going but Damn those sails were fast. 

We are going with BG with a Tri Radial Warp cloth from Contender.

Thanks for all the feedback - we were keen to support local, but did talk to an overseas loft during research. There was actually a lot of good local options.

• Upvote 1