Facnor flatdeck furlers

I have a facnor flatdeck furler on my 36 footer, it has many advantages, never jams easy to furl and I think its great and all is good, until the lower bearing seized. I was told that the bearing is sealed and needed a complete lower bearing kit. I got a quote from the local agent that the bearing kit would be about 2k landed (it has to be ordered and dispatch from France).

Before I commit to order (as it will probably take a while before it arrive from France), Just checking the forum wisdom, if anyone has similar experience with the lower bearings and if there are any other options for repair locally, or anyone have a lower assembly for sale ( would save waiting time and money).

Thanks 

Just the Kit? You mean a bag of plastic ball bearings and a couple of Races they sit in is $2K?
I believe that even though they are " sealed" some have found they can be pulled apart (although it could be the LS series, or Drum type furler) and a good clean and lubricate has fixed the issue for some. It's going to have to be removed to work on of course. Worth a look. Even if it is the LS series I have heard about, I see no reason why the Flatdeck can't be dismantled. Unless some part is swaged, my view is that if it went together, it must come apart. Then just replace the Delrin ball Bearings.

3 hours ago, wheels said:

Just the Kit? You mean a bag of plastic ball bearings and a couple of Races they sit in is $2K?
I believe that even though they are " sealed" some have found they can be pulled apart (although it could be the LS series, or Drum type furler) and a good clean and lubricate has fixed the issue for some. It's going to have to be removed to work on of course. Worth a look. Even if it is the LS series I have heard about, I see no reason why the Flatdeck can't be dismantled. Unless some part is swaged, my view is that if it went together, it must come apart. Then just replace the Delrin ball Bearings.

+1 to this. I managed to sort our old code 0 facnor furler by stripping it down, cleaning and relubing everything. It's still working fine some years later.

How did you get on with this issue? Mine is stickier than it should be, facnor recommend using fresh water thru the tiny hole provided to clear salt etc, how it can be sealed yet water cleaned is a mystery. Mine gradually freed up using water with detergent, then against all advice wd40 sprayed thru the lub hole, them more fresh water. I think in my case the furler was not used for almost 9 months and the issuer might be a deformed bearing, but really there is not much to the design, the exposed tack race is easy to see, but I would suspect that internally it may just rotate on one large nylon washer rather than a bearing race.

I took was told to buy another whole fd bottom kit, but if it gives further problems I will pull it apart and check