Aargh, my foredeck hatch faces the wrong way?

Bogan

My foredeck hatch opens forwards (the hinge is at the forward end). Everyone else's seems to open backwards. Is this something I should change when I replace the hatch?

There is enough deck space in front to open flat (with the anchor winch removed). It will open nicely against the cabin slope if it opens the backward, but I'll have to move the padeye for the pole downhaul.

Any preferences?

Hmmm, haven't heard of this one before.

The advantage of having the hatch the "normal" way - hinges at the aft end - is that when you are cruising in the heat of summer, the hatch has a scoop effect and drives airflow into the boat (given that the boat should naturally hang head to wind when anchored).

I am scratching my head to think of an advantage in having it round the other way. I guess very few boats have enough flat foredeck to even think of it.

In terms of manufacturers, another one you should definitely consider is Cule Hatches/Wahoo Marine in West Auckland who, among other things, have kept alive all the standard sizes that others have dropped! As well as being able to do any custom size you want at an economic price. I can recommend both their workmanship and their "nothing is too much trouble" attitude.

http://www.culehatches.co.nz/

Mine opens "backwards". There is a good reason for this. Firstly, a real good gust of wind won't slam the hatch open. Secondly and most importantly, you can have the hatch open a little while underway and in the chance of a little water coming over the boat, it doesn't go down the hatch. If a lot of water comes over, it will shut the hatch rather than force it open. But then if things are that ruff, we close all hatches anyway, but just in case, it's nicer to know the hatch will close. Yes you have the disadvantage of not having air forced into the boat, but in our situation, we have the dorade vents forward forcing air in and the hatch allows the air to be sucked out.

Mine opens "backwards". There is a good reason for this. Firstly, a real good gust of wind won't slam the hatch open. Secondly and most importantly, you can have the hatch open a little while underway and in the chance of a little water coming over the boat, it doesn't go down the hatch. If a lot of water comes over, it will shut the hatch rather than force it open. But then if things are that ruff, we close all hatches anyway, but just in case, it's nicer to know the hatch will close. Yes you have the disadvantage of not having air forced into the boat, but in our situation, we have the dorade vents forward forcing air in and the hatch allows the air to be sucked out.

That is an interesting concept. I had thought that facing the hatch 'backwards' may be an advantage, and had even considered doing that if and when we ever replace our hatch. I have noted, however, on our trailer yacht, that when in a bit of chop, sometimes the waves will wash over the bow, and the water runs right up behind to the top of the hatch. It does not have to be rough - just choppy. I have had to add x2 layers of that window sealing spongey tape to the hatch - one on the hatch lid and one on the hatch base, as the hatch was leaking when the above happened. Seems to have solved it - last weekend saw the bow nose under a wave, water crawled right up over the hatch, and still no ingress - which is good, as our bedding is under it lol.

All I am saying, is that in our case, we would be unable to have the hatch open underway, whichever way it faced. Oh for more freeboard :)

I'm swapping hatches, same size just a new knot flogged one, and will probably turn it around so the hinge is at the front.

Currently backwards which means we can't open it when sailing due to self-tacking gear. If we turn it around we can either fully or partially even in a seaway even though it is a dry deck boat 99% of the time. Going to make a small scoop to catch wind when parked.

So Bogan and Wheels, you aren't backwards more just trend setters :) :)

Mine opens forward (hinges at back)

It does catch a fair bit of water when it's choppy and will catch sheets even when cracked slightly.

Saying that it really keeps the cabin cool under anchor.

SHANE

I'm about to fit a new one, and was thinking of fitting it hinges at the front as it would keep spray and rain out when slightly open.

I can see the advantage of rear hinges when racing, as sails going in/out would be easier.

I have another hatch further back by the mast that can serve this purpose. It's bigger too.

I'm working on the theory if we did want to get jiggy with sails thru the hatch it opens 180 degrees so will lay flat on the foredeck and be clear under the self-tacker gear, something it can't do currently.

Thought of sailing around backwards

You could always anchor backwards, then you could have the hatch open backwards and the air can still go down the hatch :wink:

Pete...ummmmm.. I get the swing both ways, but I don't get the East West part. But then...maybe I shouldn't ask.

Ours opens with the hinges at the front, I've never even thought about having it the other way around. This is new (1 year old) and can vouch for that Cule place in west Auckland.

Don't normally clip the hatch shut when racing, just lay it shut, waves and spray wash over it, not down into it if it where around the other way. A little water down doesn't matter as we chuck the wet kites down anyway.

When its raining and blowing its tits off at anchor having it with the hinges at the front means I can have it open a jar with a little peice of wood to get fresh air but the wind and rain doesn't piss in. If its hot and calm I just sleep with it wide open.

Opening forward also keeps it clear of the headsail sheets too, mind you we have anough cabin top for it to lay flat on opeing forward.

So no one recommends sideways? that would be like the big fence sit :crazy: :crazy:

shame you cannot get a two way opening hatch, then you could open it either direction

I'm sure it does opens both ways.

1 From the inside

2 from the outside :P

Archived