Insurance on swing mooring.

Hi team , this has probably been well covered before but who has insurance out there thats on a swing mooring? Currently insured for last few yrs through NZI but they have an exclusion, wont cover for "damage arising from dragging or breaking free from swing mooring". interested to know what companies people have cover on moorings through? My broker apparently cant find any! Thanks in advance.

you are lucky if you can get insurance on a mooring, Vero have this list of mooring areas they will not insure, don't know other insurers position

Cass Bay, Corsair Bay, Devonport Yacht Club, Waiake Beach, Stanley Point, Magazine Bay marina or Naval Point marina, Northcote Point, Okahu Bay, Hobson Bay, Birkenhead Point, Algies Bay, Bayswater Swing, Maraetai Beach, Herne Bay, Stanmore Bay, Swann Beach, Tindalls Bay, Cox’s Bay, Castlepoint, Westmere, Stewart Island, Watchman’s Island, Great Barrier Island, Lake Waikaremoana, Bluff Harbour, West Coast North Island Harbours (i.e. Pahi, Kaipara, Raglan, etc)

Wow. That doesn't leave many places that they'll take!

We used to have Bailey's on a swing moorning. Been a few years though, can't say for sure that they still do.

4 hours ago, khayyam said:

Wow. That doesn't leave many places that they'll take!

We used to have Bailey's on a swing moorning. Been a few years though, can't say for sure that they still do.

Baileys don't seem to be an actual broker anymore, they appear to be tied to Vero, maybe even owned by Vero? I asked about yacht insurance around a year ago, 25 miles inside the Kaipara harbour at Pahi, on a brand new NRA approved mooring and was told they were NOT insuring any vessels on the West Coast of NZ. There was no suggestion of trying another company.

Insurance is becoming a big issue for many older boats, no matter what material built from. Then add in the reluctance of insuring on a swing mooring.
The "where can I get insurance" question is the main discussion I have on HFOA forum. There are only two places I can send people now. The Marina Shop in BOI. And Williams in Spain. The later I know nothing about and have heard some have had problems getting payment after mishaps. But apparently they insure with no questions asked. So if it is a case of needing isnurance to get into a Marina, but maybe never getting a pay out if Boat sinks, then that is an option.
Every other insurance company is either moving completely away from Boats or making it real tough and only looking at reasonably new. If you already have insurance, they usually continue to cover, but let the policy lapse just briefly and they will likely not allow you to take it up again.

3 hours ago, wheels said:

Insurance is becoming a big issue for many older boats, no matter what material built from. Then add in the reluctance of insuring on a swing mooring.
The "where can I get insurance" question is the main discussion I have on HFOA forum. There are only two places I can send people now. The Marina Shop in BOI. And Williams in Spain. The later I know nothing about and have heard some have had problems getting payment after mishaps. But apparently they insure with no questions asked. So if it is a case of needing isnurance to get into a Marina, but maybe never getting a pay out if Boat sinks, then that is an option.
Every other insurance company is either moving completely away from Boats or making it real tough and only looking at reasonably new. If you already have insurance, they usually continue to cover, but let the policy lapse just briefly and they will likely not allow you to take it up again.

Do you know who is the underwriter for The Marina Shop's policies? Maybe Topsail or someone else?

Brian Hepburn is selling Williams policies.

It appear Towers offered to take over existing Club Marine policies

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

Do you know who is the underwriter for The Marina Shop's policies? Maybe Topsail or someone else?

Tower refused to even consider us, they came back with a scripted "rig falls outside our age limits".

Even tho the rig and standing rigging had been removed, inspected, die tested and x-rayed 12 months earlier, they provided no option for discussion or consideration.   The door was firmly closed. 

On one hand I feel that older boats will eventually become uninsurable as insurance companies strive to reduce exposure.  On the other hand I get comfort from just how many older boats there are, so someone will fill the market. 

We have all of our insurance with BNZ underwritten by IAG. All means house, contents, 2 cars, Cavalier 26 keeler, inflatable RIB, RIB trailer & 2 outboards. We have had 5 keelers over the years insured with them including a full $15K right off after the boat slipped her mooring and a couple of other marine claims including theft. We have also had 2 burglaries at home & several car dings. All paid out without any fuss. Some of this may of course be that we have so much cover with them.

we use Nautical Insurance who have been good to deal with - - no claims yet though, and previously Mariner who we did a claim through several year ago no problem.  they were quite a bit more expensive when we got the new boat, hence the move to Nautical.  two different boats, both on swing moorings at times, although now in an marina

I'm thinking about switching my Cavalier 32 from a Westhaven berth to a swing mooring. I am currently insured with Mariner Insurance but they won't cover a swing mooring. Tower Insurance were useless to contact. Not looking good at this stage. Any updates from punters on this forum would be greatly appreciated. 

On 20/06/2022 at 10:44 AM, marinheiro said:

The underwriters for The Marina Shop for bluewater insurance are PICC, the Peoples Insurance Company of China.