thinning polyester resin?

I'm trying to fill a screw hole in a fibreglass dinghy hull which has pulled out. I want to fill it and then retap. I'm trying to use polyester resin for that, but it's too thick to run into the hole properly without drilling it out further. So... can I think the resin? Should I drill out the hole? Use something else entirely? I don't have access to the back so the threads need to bite, can't bolt through.

Trying to remember what we used 30 years ago for thinning polyester , it was the same stuff you put in to stop it being sticky once gone off  …zylene ?    Or something similar sounding . It was called “wax” on the factory floor 

Must be a small hole, poly is pretty runny but what Id do is drill the hole out and make sure its nice and rough then mix catalysed resin with some glue powder and fill the hole as per normal. It's hard to catalyse small amounts, make sure you measure it accurately.