Starlink receive FCC approval for mobile antennas incl boats

5 hours ago, twisty said:

I guess lying on deck on a warm summer's night contemplating the vastness of space is about to become a thing of the past !

Heaps of new stars to look at and they move too ! 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

It is spectacular watching the trains go over when they first launch

Haha ! I was out possum shooting when the very first one went over …I didn’t know what it was and shat myself , rushed home and got on the internet found out what it was and calmed down . My first thought was they were missles 😂

• Haha 1

I think at present the maritime version is the same hardware as the business version. Way more expensive. It seems the latest upgrade means no need to drill holes to disable the motors for use on boats.

Bridge Marina this morning. 

Screenshot_20220708-120118_Starlink.jpg

• Like 1

I have two of them and they are amazing.  One at the holiday home and yes one on the boat. The good thing with the plan is that you can pause the plan so you can use it for a couple of months over Christmas when you need it then pause the plan.  Rumour has it a cheaper and lower speed plan with a lot lower monthly fee is coming soon.  

The marine/business version is very good value and the hardware is designed for high end use.  I have heard the demand is outstripping supply so the price point must be right. 

The boat is a little hit and miss and remember peeps if you have anything in the way e.g. trees, cliffs, masts etc etc they don't work so well.  In the sounds we have had some reception issues, however I can confirm the latency and speed is excellent mostly.  

Youtube has plenty of examples how to mount, there are even people putting them onto cars.