The answer to these is it depends 

Is it coming in under its own power? Are you importing it from a country with a free trade agreement? Are you eligible for a import concession? Are you a NZ resident for tax purposes?  Are you currently resident in NZ? 

Any temporary import exemption or duty/gst obligation will depend on your specific circumstances.

It's best to get hold of a customs broker who you can explain your specific situation too. 

If you really dont want to pay gst buy a kiwi built boat, there has been a Regardless for sale in the Med for 10 plus years very reasonable price -but shipping her here has gone from $28000 to $92000 during that time!

27 minutes ago, waikiore said:

If you really dont want to pay gst buy a kiwi built boat, there has been a Regardless for sale in the Med for 10 plus years very reasonable price -but shipping her here has gone from $28000 to $92000 during that time!

You still will have to pay GST on it at time import.

1 hour ago, waikiore said:

It's downwind from there

17 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Only if they reclaimed gst when they left.

Nope. If a boat was exported from NZ and then sold overseas and subsequently imported back to NZ then GST is due from the new owner. 

Only owners that exported and then reimport are eligible for an exemption AND ONLY IF the intention of the owner is too "move back to NZ to live". 

Eg, you cannot export a boat you own, become non-nz-domiciled, then later reimport the boat to NZ for the purpose of selling it within NZ immediately if you do not become domiciled in NZ then you would need to pay GST.

9 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Most people who sail off into the blue don't export their boat ( I don't know anyone who has),they go sailing and when they return they clear back in normally and there is nothing to pay.

When you sail out of NZ, the boat is exported. So are all your other posessions.  Same applies when you get on a plane. 

There is no mechanism to get a GST refund on a boat when you sail out of NZ.  It is not possible. 

Don't get confused with zero-rated exports. If you built a boat and you're selling it to someone overseas then the sale could be GST exempt.   So GST is never paid on the export in the first place.

If you buy a boat outside NZ and then bring it back to NZ you will need to pay GST in NZ. It makes no difference if the boat was built in NZ or has had GST paid on it already in NZ. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

When you sail out of NZ, the boat is exported. So are all your other posessions.  Same applies when you get on a plane. 

There is no mechanism to get a GST refund on a boat when you sail out of NZ.  It is not possible. 

Don't get confused with zero-rated exports. If you built a boat and you're selling it to someone overseas then the sale could be GST exempt.   So GST is never paid on the export in the first place.

If you buy a boat outside NZ and then bring it back to NZ you will need to pay GST in NZ. It makes no difference if the boat was built in NZ or has had GST paid on it already in NZ. 

Assuming that to be correct it would be easy enough to avoid.

Still sounds like a nonsense to me.

14 minutes ago, Guest said:

I was under the impression that if you lived overseas for more than three years and could prove ownership of items for that period they were gst exempt when you bought them back here. Car , boats included. Obviously if you bought a boat here with gst content and you didn’t claim the gst on way out ie exported it, you wouldn’t be charged on way back in. Otherwise system would be nonsense.

I

Boats have to be under a certain length/width and cannot be powered.  (eg, sailing dingies)....

if you are moving to New Zealand for the first time, then import can be GST free - so it is technically possible for a Kiwi born overseas who has never lived in NZ to import a boat here.

3 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Assuming that to be correct it would be easy enough to avoid.

Still sounds like a nonsense to me.

How would you avoid it?

Many people would love to know how to buy a boat overseas and bring it into NZ avoiding custom charges... please advise us. :-)

9 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

How would you avoid it?

Many people would love to know how to buy a boat overseas and bring it into NZ avoiding custom charges... please advise us. :-)

Not going to advertise it here, if you're serious send a pm.

I know others who have purchased kiwi built boats offshore and sailed them home -no gst. The boat is kiwi registered left on a cruise, delayed overseas then sold to another kiwi who sailed her home. Boat was never "exported" nothing to see here. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, waikiore said:

I know others who have purchased kiwi built boats offshore and sailed them home -no gst. The boat is kiwi registered left on a cruise, delayed overseas then sold to another kiwi who sailed her home. Boat was never "exported" nothing to see here. 

Good luck trying that.

Tried that exact thing and boat all but got chained to the customs dock until GST was paid. I tried pulling the wool over their eyes but think I wasn't the first to try that as they knew what questions to ask.

• Upvote 1