2 hours ago, Kick Ass said:

But there is no duty payable for an NZ built boat.

Or when we imported one from aus a few years back, on an aus built one. The closer economic relations au/nz treaty means aus built boats also exempt from duty here (gst still applies).

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Obvious solution is to sail back to NZ before completing the transaction .

If the owner is bringing the boat back and plans to put it on the market in NZ then absolutely.

However if the boat is already for sale overseas and you offer to deliver it back to NZ on behalf of the owner with an agreement to purchase it on your arrival then that would be deemed tax avoidance, which could end up being a lot more expensive that the GST component.

Of course, if we are into the realm of breaking the law and working out what dodgey stuff we can do to avoid paying tax, this is probably the wrong forum :-)

Hi all thanks for your response, I am now another boat owner finally 😀. I just wanted your thoughts on getting my flag as insurance said getting a polish flag would help coming and going from nz. Boat is currently up in New Caledonia and I'm a nz citizen. We're planning on heading up on 15th Oct to sort things and sail home, checked getting nz flag could be 3 months polish 3-5 days. 

Any help be great 

Cheers 

NZ flag will only take you a few days. I have just gone through the same procedure and arrived in NZ from New Caledonia a few days ago. The hardest part is getting the flag deletion cert from the current registration and you can't get registered anywhere until you have that cert. The NZ authorities also need the cert to be translated into english. But once you have that cert it is only a day or so to be NZ registered. Our boat was registered in France and we waited almost 1 month for the cert and ended up leaving New Caledonia under the old registration and sorted it out once back in NZ.

For us the insurance was way cheaper being NZ registered and cat one isn't that hard for a decent boat (as long as you don't have big windows!)

If you are moving to NZ for the first time and hold a NZ residence permit, or are a citizen moving to NZ for the first time, you may bring with you your car, boat, ship free of duty and GST so long as you have owned and used the item for more than 1 year (at the time the item is given up for shipping or departs for NZ), and so long as you undertake to not sell the item within 2y. You can apply for this relief and your application will be assessed.

7 hours ago, B00B00 said:

NZ flag will only take you a few days. I have just gone through the same procedure and arrived in NZ from New Caledonia a few days ago. The hardest part is getting the flag deletion cert from the current registration and you can't get registered anywhere until you have that cert. The NZ authorities also need the cert to be translated into english. But once you have that cert it is only a day or so to be NZ registered. Our boat was registered in France and we waited almost 1 month for the cert and ended up leaving New Caledonia under the old registration and sorted it out once back in NZ.

For us the insurance was way cheaper being NZ registered and cat one isn't that hard for a decent boat (as long as you don't have big windows!)

Welcome back! 

54 minutes ago, Sailor Jerry said:

Hey Booboo, so it's OK to leave noumea if nz flag is still in process? Our French flag and customs has been sorted now. 

Cheers 

Yes absolutely fine to leave on the french flag. We had Noumea yacht services take care of the departure paperwork for us. 

Our NZ registration was done while we were at sea so we entered NZ under a new name and registration document and that was no problem. Then you have to pay the tax... 5% duty then 15% gst on top of that figure and the boat can't leave opua until that is done. I highly recommend you get a customs broker to take care of the importation.