Solo TransTasman Yacht Challenge 2023

Swirly World lost a skeg or part of one and started taking on water, he started heading north from wherever he was and managed to locate a ship. He was rescued and Swirly World sank.

As Booboo said, it may have been rudder damage, but he was taking on water and only had manual bilge pumps, plus manual water maker pumps... life would have got quite tiring quite quickly.

That's my understanding

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ex Veladare said:

Swirly World lost a skeg or part of one and started taking on water, he started heading north from wherever he was and managed to locate a ship. He was rescued and Swirly World sank.

As Booboo said, it may have been rudder damage, but he was taking on water and only had manual bilge pumps, plus manual water maker pumps... life would have got quite tiring quite quickly.

That's my understanding

Heck.  How that has not become mainstream news in NZ marine media is beyond me, but glad that Andrew made it out safe and sound - but of course sad news of that iconic little yacht of his.

• Upvote 1

Bit of a lesson for all there, he decided that Cat 1 was too onerous and register Offshore to avoid it.

Not saying it wouldn’t have still happened but at least he would have had a set of independent eyes look over everything.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Bit of a lesson for all there, he decided that Cat 1 was too onerous and register Offshore to avoid it.

Not saying it wouldn’t have still happened but at least he would have had a set of independent eyes look over everything.

Meaningless starement there. We don't know why the skeg was damaged and he was taking on water. We do know he had the resources to get himself to a point of rescue and is still alive.  One might as easily say giant success and proof that cat 1 is essentially useless. 

Personally having put my boat through cat 3 and now cat 2 with a highly respected boat builder and mentor as my inspector I have found it a really good exercise, they challenge you on details you may have missed and often help with practical solutions to achieving the certification and a safe vessel, I would really recommend anyone using their boat outside the gulf racing or cruising to put their vessel through cat 3 at least once.

from reading Fagans books he has some quirky approaches to repairs and did mention in a previous book that he had re built the skeg himself.

that said he is a solo sailing hero and I’m very glad he managed to sail himself to a rescue opportunity 

• Upvote 4