Good beginner boats?

I agree with several others who've said it: 10% annual maintenance isn't enough on a $5k boat. $5k boats have the same things break as $20k boats, more or less...

Do you have any interest at all in racing? If so, some of the cruiser-racer boats with a bit of a class scene might be worth it - reactors, 727s, etc. Lots of people on here have at least some racing inclination and so tend in that direction.

If not, something more along straight cruiser lines -- like a variant -- might be the way to go. Not fast, but nice, stable little boats.

What is your mooring plan?

Not sure yet on racing. Will find out once I find someone to actually crew for. I mainly want to just cruise. Family outings, things like that. Of course, that means the boat will be used less than what other people do. I don't know if that should make a difference in what I purchase or not. The Variant seems like a good choice, but I still keep an eye out for those Raven/Reactor/Trackers as well, mainly because they seem better, but also because of their association groups. Would be nice to travel as a group the first time I head out, ya know?

Mooring, I've seen plenty around Auckland for around $100/mo or less.

Taking into account what everyone else has said about maintenance cost, I'm even more convinced that I should buy around a 5-10k boat at most. I just think that I'll upgrade within a year or two, so it's unnecessary to go out and purchase that upgrade boat now, since the yearly maintenance will be the same anyway it seems like. Practice on a smaller/cheaper boat... I dunno, still looking and looking and looking :)

Not sure yet on racing. Will find out once I find someone to actually crew for.

You will find someone to crew for relatively easily if you are both keen and most importantly reliable. Just tun up when you are expected or alternatively give plenty of notice. There is nothing worse as a skipper trying to find crew at the last minute.

I found that racing improved my cruising experience dramatically. I experienced and handled conditions far worse while out racing and my family had the confidence in me because of it. Anything on the boat that was going to break generally did under race conditions to which left the boat far more reliable for our weekend cruising. As you have already mentioned, you do need a life style that supports such a hobby especially for mid week racing.

Being self employed definitely helps although is not essential.

You will find someone to crew for relatively easily if you are both keen and most importantly reliable. Just tun up when you are expected or alternatively give plenty of notice. There is nothing worse as a skipper trying to find crew at the last minute.

Interesting. I've emailed tons of places. Looks like I need to change tactics. Like I already mentioned earlier, I'm even willing to help out with repair/maintenance because I really want to learn everything about sailboats, but I've had only one response so far, and I'm not even sure if it'll happen.

I've been keeping an eye on that Reactor that was linked. How do you tell where a boat's been through? I don't see anything about a Tasman crossing on the page. Also, it mentions that he has a "Reactor Trailer". I thought Reactors are keelers, and not trailer-sailer?

worst of all - in order to deal with the above you have to develop a thick skin and you end up becoming someone you don't like very much.

That's hardly unique to real estate!

Quite possibly, the only other job I've ever had for more than a very short period was boat bum, so I don't know, maybe a new thread on who likes their job.

I was referring to this Reactor competing in the New Plymouth - Mooloolabah race last year.

http://www.trishlewis.com/

Picture of the yacht is a fixed keel. Haven't heard of a retractable keel on a Reactor (but I may be wrong). Add refers to a trailer / cradle - I reckon he means cradle to store it in when it is on the hard.

Mast is out so would be a bit of time / cost to put it back in, but this is a good chance to inspect the rigging.

Grifter,

the Reactor (as a class) seems to me ideal for you. Among it's advantages are: Prices are in your range, they are a proven class, they have a VERY strong association (google the association, make contact - get a ride on one - real friendly people who do a lot of cruising together in Akl as a group), re-sale will be about the same as purchase, plenty of advice available thru the owners association, safe (it's all relative I guess but these are - for their size).

Squid,

the Townson "Sirocco" is on Tradeaboat still. It says it's for sale in Nelson but it's up at Weiti in the river. I swear, I don't know how some people make a buck when they can't advertise correctly..............

Someone here might know something about this boat ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-343052438.htm

Looks rather cheap now, for what it appears to offer - although possibly it may be a bit narrow and tender for cruising.

These boats offer a big bang for the buck. No shortage of replacement sails as they are slung under a Soling rig. A WBC member has one of these and cruises it with his wife and children. I believe they sail quite well. I nearly bought one of these many years ago called Caesars Palace.

After dinner we went dock walking. Now she is inclined to say things like "I like that one's name" or "that's a pretty colour", but after I pointed out a few possibles she said she liked the Chico, not too bad.

Few hurdles to jump there.

First I would need proof that you are the person in your avatar.

Second - today is our 23rd wedding anniversary, probably not a good time to announce I'm running off with a younger model

Third - she has promised to castrate me were I to try any such stunt.

That last one is pretty compelling I'm afraid.

Happy anniversary Squid. Our 22nd is next weekend :D

KM and I were dicussing these types of wives yesterday.

They don't just kill you outright. It is a long and painful death. Starting with certain parts of anatomy being removed slowly and in sequence of order and often via entry of other body orrifice's. Like Balls removed via way of throat. If you are lucky, you get to eventually die. But some Woman are like spiders, that keep their Victims alive through it all with all, till nothing is left :thumbdown: :wink:

Starting with certain parts of anatomy being removed slowly and in sequence of order and often via entry of other body orrifice's.

I thought its along the lines removing testicles by way of the wallet. :wink:

I think Squid is being a little facetious there, Angela does appreciate yachts (she seemed to like our boat for instance) and has been known to do more than a little sailing here and there.

Archived