Good beginner boats?

Anyone know anything about a Nova 28? Never heard them mentioned for the 20k-and-under boats, but it's by Alan Wright, so I assume they're good boats. How do they compare to Tracker 7.7, Reactor 25, Raven 26, etc? Good for first-timer or no?

Yes the Nova's are good boats. Not a particularly high performing boat but safe and dependable. Roomier than a Tracker but probably not as quick. You'll never go wrong with an Alan Wright boat.

Once I came home with a new car for her, she told me to take it back coz it was brown, said no one would be able to see her in it.

Not as silly as it sounds - stats show highly visible coloured cars, e.g. white, silver, etc, have fewer accidents than dark coloured cars like black, brown and green. So she has a good point.

Not quite sure how that applies to boats though... but I did consider painting my boat something other than white, until a friend pointed out I'd probably die of the heat sailing her in the topics if I did!

Another question, is there a reason to go through a broker instead of just buying privately through TradeMe? Just like other things, going through a dealer seems to be more expensive, but in the case of boats, they seem to be a good deal more expensive. Is there an advantage of going through a dealer instead? Obviously, if you like a specific boat listed with a dealer then you gotta go through them, but is there any other reason to use them aside from being able to look at boats?

Once I came home with a new car for her, she told me to take it back coz it was brown, said no one would be able to see her in it.

Not as silly as it sounds - stats show highly visible coloured cars, e.g. white, silver, etc, have fewer accidents than dark coloured cars like black, brown and green. So she has a good point.

I suspect that Squid was referring to the colour of his dear wife not the car! How is she btw, Squid (didn't get to see you guys during my whirlwind xmas visit)?

She's exceedingly well, we had a great Xmas, and the shop is much improved over the last two years. Seems to have got back to pre recession turnover in the last few months.

Her biggest problem will be saying goodbye to Nancy in a month when she heads off on her Big OE, coupled with Ana leaving in August for her overseas exchange. We are going to be empty nesters, which also contributed to the let's buy a boat now decision.

And this year we are starting ballroom dancing.

hi

Thanks for all the advise in this topic,I 'm in a similar situation to grifter730 ,small budget limited sailing experience ( mainly dinghies,sunburst,starlings,phase2,paper tiger) but looking into buying a keeler as a step towards offshore sailing at some later stage. I sailed as a crew on a Y88 wednesday night racing in littleton chch (just 3 times) great experience for a begginer!!

any thoughts on H28's as a starting boat and what would it take to turn them into cat1 for offshore in the future .thanks

Ha, that is a tricky one...how to explain? It is possible for a boat to be a Davidson design of 28 feet and yet not a Davidson 28 along the same lines as the larger group of Davidson 28s that you will be more used to seeing. That one is a good boat in its own right but I think a one-off and the experience would be smaller/less volume and more racy than the more widely-known Davidson 28s.

hi

Thanks for all the advise in this topic,I 'm in a similar situation to grifter730 ,small budget limited sailing experience ( mainly dinghies,sunburst,starlings,phase2,paper tiger) but looking into buying a keeler as a step towards offshore sailing at some later stage. I sailed as a crew on a Y88 wednesday night racing in littleton chch (just 3 times) great experience for a begginer!!

any thoughts on H28's as a starting boat and what would it take to turn them into cat1 for offshore in the future .thanks

Nanda, here is a thread from last year on H28s.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14014

The search function on this site is not known for its awesomeness but worth a try. :thumbup:

Ha, that is a tricky one...how to explain? It is possible for a boat to be a Davidson design of 28 feet and yet not a Davidson 28 along the same lines as the larger group of Davidson 28s that you will be more used to seeing. That one is a good boat in its own right but I think a one-off and the experience would be smaller/less volume and more racy than the more widely-known Davidson 28s.

That looks like a fun boat, possibly a half tonner? Bit of a bargin price

Archived