Good beginner boats?

I just noticed that there's no place to sit on that boat @_@;

Possibly also relevant to point one of the seller's comments:

she's pretty sleek and as such has limited headroom below prob 5 and half feet from bottom of centre bilge to deckhead

i.e. options for standing downstairs are a bit limited as well.

But still a fun boat for what it is and particularly for the price.

That Davidson may be 28 foot but its not a Davidson 28 - its the later generation of the Fun series of yachts of which I used to own Black Fun. Not really for learning on, bit tweaky, fiddly, running backstays means lots on when tacking etc and not that much room unless you are under 4'2".

Cheapish though so if you could cop someone to teach/sail for a year or two you could make it happen.

D28 is a completely different kettle of fish and a really nice smaller cruiser.

Couple of things I keep in mind when buying. 1)It needs to look good when you're rowing back to it. Boats that look good are hard to sell. Ugly ones are impossible. 2) It's easier to sail a quick boat slow, simply have less sail up, a slow boat will always be that way. 3)Sails are the easiest things to change- exterior paint the most expensive. 4)Your wife will expect to have a huge input. Ignore the advice. You will likely spend more time sailing it. 5)Buy a boat that will challenge you as you will likely own it for a while. 6)Sell the one you own before you buy the new one!!!

Couple of things I keep in mind when buying. 1)It needs to look good when you're rowing back to it. Boats that look good are hard to sell. Ugly ones are impossible. 2) It's easier to sail a quick boat slow, simply have less sail up, a slow boat will always be that way. 3)Sails are the easiest things to change- exterior paint the most expensive. 4)Your wife will expect to have a huge input. Ignore the advice. You will likely spend more time sailing it. 5)Buy a boat that will challenge you as you will likely own it for a while. 6)Sell the one you own before you buy the new one!!!

Very good advice.

but in summary, buy a boat that is:

-Good Looking

-Fast

-Has good paint

-Challenging

-your wife doesn't like

?? :D

5)Buy a boat that will challenge you as you will likely own it for a while.

Just don't buy a boat that is going to scare the living daylights out the the other half/family because you may never get another chance to get them back on board. A slightly challenging boat is good. A boat that you are way out of your depth on is not so good IMHO.

The definition of challenging is indirectly related to how much experience you have.

No way Hosea! Which is code for "the bank won't do it!" Seriously if I was well off then it wouldn't be a problem, but right now buying one boat before selling another is a sure way of acknowledging that you're gonna end up having a fire sale on the first one eventually. Of course if the economy picks up soon then no problem but given the way it's looking I'd say the fire sale is a safe bet.

hi

Thanks for all the advise in this topic,I 'm in a similar situation to grifter730 ,small budget limited sailing experience ( mainly dinghies,sunburst,starlings,phase2,paper tiger) but looking into buying a keeler as a step towards offshore sailing at some later stage. I sailed as a crew on a Y88 wednesday night racing in littleton chch (just 3 times) great experience for a begginer!!

any thoughts on H28's as a starting boat and what would it take to turn them into cat1 for offshore in the future .thanks

Hi Nanda - everytime H28's are mentioned on this board there are all the smart-arsed comments from the 'fast' crowd. :roll: I've got an 'H'. She is my first boat and I was very much a novice when I bought her - and I would not change her for anything else unless I needed more space. She's easy to sail, forgiving and safe. I've taken her (single-handed and crewed) to the BOI, Gt Barrier and the Mercs. I'd say she is ideal for a novice with a young family.

Like this???

KM's place looked like that before Christmas and his wife was really happy with what he had achieved. Don't see a problem myself. :eh:

Looks worse now, a very close simulation of London 3/4 of the way through the WWII Blitz, including the bomb craters. I don't see a big problem but the Wa still does :?

But I have just been given a green light to bring SR home for a total top to bottom Xmas and tweak. Hope JH has a big backyard, still have a few boats left to get rid of ;)

Where you haul out determines a few things as does your free time and the value you put on it. I am fortunate in that I have plenty of time, an OK cash flow and belong to a club with cheap hard stand rates

So my criteria are

Buy the boat with the best diesel (and appropriately sized)

Buy the boat with the best sails

Buy the boat with the best electronic and mechanical systems

Paint job is down the list

Your personal circumstances determines lots

In terms of boat size 28-30ft is a great starting size(I had a Nova for 10 yrs). Would suggest as a starter D28 1st Nova 2nd H28 3rd....but again where you will keep her and how you will maintain her (lift-out, drying out on piles etc) may change the above as will your major cruising ground.

Grifter, did you see this Southerly 23 on TradeMe? $3,500 Reserve

Listing #: 352442355

I did. I'm still looking around. I'm crewing on a couple of boats right now to get more experience while I keep an eye out. I'm constantly changing my mind on what I should buy. I've been thinking that I should just buy in the 10-15k range instead of the 5k range, given that there's a minimum cost to boat ownership to take into account and I get the feeling that it's roughly about the same maintenance cost annually for all those boats under 15k. My heart's kinda set on the Raven 26 lately, due to its roominess and its seaworthiness.

Archived