should boaties be licensed ?

Should recreational power boat drivers need a licence?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should recreational power boat drivers need a licence?

• yes
    • no

Who pays for all the navigation aids?

depends what and where they are.

the big coastal lights, eg reinga, east cape, brothers, dog island and about 14 more are all provided by Maritime NZ, so funded probably by the Maritime Safety Charge that all commercial NZ vessel pay, that also provides money for Maritime Radio.

Once you get to harbours and the like it depends where you are in the country. In Wellington we ( regional council) have all the nav aids in the harbours (wgtn & porirua) except for the marina entrance lights and one light that Centreport put in in Evans Bay specifically for one berth. They are partly funded by a levy on shipping, paid as part of berthage and partially by the general rates 9for all the recreational use. In other ports the comercial port company operates the main nav lights used for shipping and the regional council funds the other used by smaller and recreational boats.

OK, will edit out the worst of them (its in Hi Def so will need to chop that down to 640) then find somewhere to host it????? (heeeeelllooo mothership!!!???? FTP??? pleasy weasy?? :-)..... OH, there will probably be no sound incase children decide to look at them as the language used is....^%$#@!

I really really doubt that boat licencing will benything more than some financial registration. Think about it. How do you have everyone currently owning a boat tested, tested by whom and where? because no one has a facility to cope, (just look at the issues AA has now with carrying out car licence testing) and then how do you police it? I maybe wrong, but I honestly can't see how it could be implimented. So in the end it jsut becomes a cost to us with no change to the situation out on the water. Probably the only time something would happen is in the event of an accident, someone would call for your licence to be produced and if you can't produce it, then you would be slapped on the back of the hand with a wet ticket telling you to get one and a pathetic fine if there is one. So the vast majority would not bother and simply take the risk. Just like those today running around in cars not licenced, not rego'd, not insured and not warranted.

So, the recreational community enjoys the use of navigation aids and MNZ radio service without any contribution. How long do you think this will last in today's user pays age?

So, the recreational community enjoys the use of navigation aids and MNZ radio service without any contribution. How long do you think this will last in today's user pays age?

both regional council's (via rates) and MNZ ( via the tax grab) receive money from the general public, who also happen to make up the boating population.

Also the majority of the infrastructure is already in place, and has been for a long time. maintenance and running costs are comparatively cheap, especially as all the electronics get more efficient and reliable.

A couple of years ago there was a change put to government to take the petrol tax from the fuel estimated to be used in boats to go towards some of these services, mostly SAR and education from memory, although I'm not sure that has progressed very far yet.l

Commercial shipping world wide pay for these safety systems. I forget the actual amount now, but the English channels system charges commercial shipping as they pass thorugh and it is in the thousands.

Pete, Port Marlborough/Council have been trying to implement the AIS system in the Sounds and were trying to charge everyone. They dropped the idea of private paying anything. Then all the small commercial operators like water taxis kicked up a stink at the costs they had to pay. In the end, there were so many complaints, they dropped the idea for now. But I am sure it will raise it's head again in the not to distant future. I posted the break down on who was going to be charged what on here. If you want to see the list, I think I may still have it saved somewhere. Let me know.

That point I can not understand is why it costs so much. Sure the initial set up might be expensive for the sounds. They have to have relay transmitters for the AIS. But the majority of the cost is surely taken by the commercial ships that have to fit the transmitters and that is one off anyway.

Besides, I can't understand why we would want repeating around the sounds. You only need to know what ships are doing in the immediat area, if you need at all. I immagine that the system would be more about a Harbour Master having information of where a ship is in the sound from the luxury of his office. Maybe a nice piece of information, but not neccessary when it is us that are paying so heavily for it.

love the ending. on route to the cavalli islands a 50ft launch went storming past us the other way at about 20+ knots about 20 meters away.... the whole ocean and they go that close. dont get it. similar happened out the back of little barrier, half way between stephens island and whangaroa, on the way back to the bay of islands and many times in the bay of islands caused by the fishos, dolphin boats, the excitor and the mac attack.

also came across a few ghost boats steaming in a straight line with no one on watch on their way into opua.

This arvo I wired in a new power point (240V) and then installed a booster pump into the hot water system. Both working well. The paperwork all said very clearly any electrical and plumbing must be done by a NZ Registered licensed sparky or plumber. What I just did was illegal and I 100% knew it long before I even had the bits. Never once considered calling a pro and now have a higher respect for plumbers. That wasn't easy or fun with only 400mm headroom.

Yeap, totally agree everyone will flock to get a boat license or knot go out on the water just because some totally boating knowledge free person in a windowless office in Windytown makes a new law. KNOT!!!!!

And if you want any water in Akl tonite fill a bucket now. My new system should be able to empty one Waitakere damn in about 20 mins :thumbup:

Archived