tsunami warning

Fogg

taking AC out from vaidcut into deeper water..... due to hit N head at 10.22am, CG advising to go into 20m+ water depth and away from coast but how long do we need to stay out?

From one news article:

The first wave may arrive later and may not be the largest. Strong currents and unusual tidal effects may continue for several hours," the ministry said.

"Based on historical events it is expected that the greatest wave heights could occur between 6 and 12 hours after the initial arrivals."

So maybe just go out sailing for the day :)

Yeah but that means staying out til midnight.... mmmmm, think I'll wait for the initial pass then see what the updates are and try to head back into GH.

I have just done two days on the water with the BMW. As it's the long harbour race (maybe) most of the BIMBOS have been stood down so will miss the fun as I am up in the Sandringham badlands..

thanks rigger .....for the updates.......

oracle is still in the marina......guess its best to keep her there now....too late to move.

where about are you watching from?

is there a mass exodus of boats out of th e harbour ?

Seeing as it is not really just small talk, I thought this the better thread to keep going.

We just got back into the Marina in Havelock. Nothing to report here. The Marlborough coastline residents have been evacuated and we are being told to stay away from the river area. Torry Channel is closed to all traffic. At 9.30am a 2m surge hit the eastern areas of the Chattams. That should now be on NZ shores.

Edit: Sorry that should read 1.5m at 9.30am

thanks rigger .....for the updates.......

oracle is still in the marina......guess its best to keep her there now....too late to move.

where about are you watching from?

is there a mass exodus of boats out of th e harbour ?

Stuck at home surfing the net and talking to folks,

10:10

A spokesman for Tutukaka marina said staff were on alert for further surges.

"We’re just having a couple major surges right now, probably about to a 1m.

"The surges aren’t that strong yet but we’re just at a wait and see.

"The last tsunami we had Tutukaka, about six months ago, we found the biggest surge didn’t hit us until 3 hours after the first surge."

looking out the office window now...

can see a pile of boats and a few ships on the stretch of water between rakino and milford beach....

probable close to something to 100 baots that i can see.....

although normally at this time on sunday morning you would se that many just fishing...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3385101 ... ng-machine

In the Northland charter boat port of Tutukaka the first of the surges to hit the coast was about a metre high and turned the normally placid harbour into a "washing machine."

"The wave was approximately one metre. It sucks out and comes in. It takes a couple of minutes. They are very long waves," Jeroen Jongejans, who runs Dive Tutukaka, told NZPA from his boat near the harbour entrance.

He said the water was discoloured indicating the energy level of the wave was very deep and had picked up debris from the harbour floor.

One of the marine markers indicating the course boats should take to get into the harbour was "violently shaking."

He said the tidal flow was estimated to be about 12 knots which was very strong.

"It is very unusual for a body of water to move at that kind of speed."

Archived