tsunami warning

Fogg

I also read that we still have idiots flocking down to the beach to watch the wave action. How the heck has man kind actualy survived so long?

and these idiots vote. No wonder we have so many problems.

as far as I'm concerned if those idiots that go down to the beaches get drowned it would be good for the country,

but if people are taking their boats/yachts out to deeper water good on them, the news reports are critising them for going out, the reporters / editors need to learn a few things before writing / typing

saw a large yacht leave Seaview Marina (Wellington) and head out to deeper water in the harbour. Next thing, he drops anchor near the reef at the south end of Somes Island. If the tsunami surge comes in, he might sustain more damage there than if he stayed in the marina.

Yes absolutely. Best thing to do, get out to deep water.

Worst thing you can do is anchor. In fact, if you can reach the bottom with an anchor, the water is too shallow.

We had something similar here this morning. Boats were told to stay stationary. The last place you want to be is in the head of a shallow bay in some long sound.

Just got back and can say something did happen but knot nasty, a long way from it.

Got a 60fter on the ARC panic mooring off bayswater and the little 930 boat needed sussing for this week ahead so went out to watch and clean with a chance of some surfing. Cleaned, watched but no surf.

The well outgoing tide did stop for a few minutes and I detected a hump but knot even close to a 'wave', more like a very long deep ocean swell. Noticed 2 but after chatting with the ARC team it looks like I missed one or 2 as well.

Ferries, a big cruise ship all hovering mid stream. Quiet a few boats outside each marina and an hour to 1.5 after the 1st wave hit the Navy finally managed to get some boats away from the wharves. Quite funny seeing them all mid stream as well, got a bit crowded there with ships, frigate, ferries and a pile of patrol boats.

Ferries gone back to work now. No one noticed anything inside Bayswater marina. Lots of people on wharves and beaches with binos :? One day there will be a genetic clean out I'd say.

Nice day for the BMW regatta, nice indeed.

Safely back on GH marina after waiting a few hours in Tiri area. Only unusual effect was the strong (2kts) tide flowing out of the marina when it was already dead low tide.

I got a txt from my parents in the UK at midnight last night alerting me and asking if we were on alert. I called CG and they said "CD has said no threat" so that was what CG were saying.

But obviously by this morning things had changed. CG actually did a great job today keeping everyone informed. It's not their fault that they went from "no threat" to "threat" - they were simply following CD's orders.

Compared to last timen the warnings and info did flow a lot better. Only on Thur I heard a guy from CD saying that they had reviewed their procedures after the last fiasco and changed things so that all media agencies rececvied the warnings from the pacific tsnumani warning centre at the same time as CD did - which removes on step in the comms.

But the only ommission, in my view, is to overlook social media. Given how many people are on the move or float non-news websites they should extend the warning messages to include things like Facebook and Twitter - creating txt alerts to your phone.

Anyway, a lovely day to be out on the water killing time.

We had 3 surges at Waitangi, Quite spectacular to watch the water ebbing with the usual tide just to have it pouring in again then back out at a great rate of knots

But the only ommission, in my view, is to overlook social media. Given how many people are on the move or float non-news websites they should extend the warning messages to include things like Facebook and Twitter - creating txt alerts to your phone.

I don't know about Facebook, but Civil Defence are certainly on Twitter. http://twitter.com/NZcivildefence

I was very impressed with the info coming through this time. Marlborough Marine Radio gave regular updates that were not just parroted recordings, but genuine updates and the comment made was that they were waiting for information to come through from the Chatams. As soon as the first surge hit the Chatams, they reported the ehight and the time and the expected NZ coast arrival time. As soon as subsiquant surges hit the Chatams, that info was broadcast as well. Excellent job and top marks to all thoses involved with all that.

Squid, maybe on behalf of us all as "Crew", you could pass on a cheers to the powers concerned. I am not sure who that is, maybe CD I guess. But seeing as they get a Brick Bat when it goes wrong, they may enjoy a positive comment from a collective Group, especially when they are all boaties.

Marlborough Marine Radio gave regular updates that were not just parroted recordings, but genuine updates and the comment made was that they were waiting for information to come through from the Chatams.

Wellington Marine Radio and Beacon Hill did a good job too. Though I had little laugh every time the Beacon Hill operator talked about the pending "sarnomi".

Good effort though by all concerned.

Agree with the good effort.

I did see/hear something about the quake last night which raised the possibility of a wave. Thought I'd check 1st thing this morning to find lots saying 'watch out wave about' but short on details bar an estimated time of arrival. That's more than enough for those with at least 6 braincells to realise something bad may happen so sort ya sh*t out. Those with less than 6 cells we don't need anyway and any lose of those would just mean a pile of cheap fizz boats from deceased estates.

2 boats in Bayswater still trying to get motors to start so they can get out if required. That was at 3pm :lol: :lol:

I hear a few of the big pretty boats in the viaduct suddenly realised they just can't drop and run in 10min. Need a hour or 2 to turn the boat on and find the crew. A couple of the big fellas got out pretty quick though.

G3 got out in plenty of time and looked to be having a nice cruise around under motor.

I wonder if the Navy will be reviewing procedures. By the time the 1st Navy one got free of the wharf it would have been a all over rover if the 1st or 2nd wave had been nasty. Interesting to see a frigate got off faster than all bar the big dive tender. The Patrol boats took way too long if it was a nasty.

Ferries and the big cruise ship were out mid stream with miles of time. The ship hovered very well in a very limited space. Must have some good thrusters, it could have been anchored the way it just sat in one spot.

Oh and interesting to see so many get out of marinas and then anchor on the edge of the harbour. That seems a little silly to me really especially as it was a out going tide so your bum into the wave :?

I was wondering - with the sort of wind we had out there today, would it not be a 'not bad' idea to put all the canvas up, and power up to windward as the surges came through?

Admittedly, if it were a 12 kt surge, most of us could not hold our ground. Something to think about.

We were out this morning and were alerted by another yachtie before we had turned on the radio. It is somewhat worrying to be out there when a warning comes. I guess we need to put together a good plan for next time.

Ms

If you are out in deep water, put the kettle on and have a cuppa tea, the Posiden getting turned over by a Tsunami is a myth,

The 12knots mentioned was caused by the surge going through a narrow stretch of water, so get out in the open and into deep water and the Tsunami will pass ou by according to what I have been told and experienced, several years ago we had a 1.5m Tsunami go through an oil field I was working in, we were on passage between platforms and didn't notice it pass, only heard about it later when talking with a rig boss.

Oh boy yeah, that Pesioden film was a laugh. The "wind tunnel" created by the bow thrusters were as laughable as the wave.

Anyway....anyone see that blond Woman interviewd ont he beach?? Nice Bikini was all she had going for her as the Braincells had already gone for a paddle. She said "we looked on that map and figured that Napier would be hit first because Napier is like kinda close to Chille". :shock:

I also found it really interesting to see the Pacific map that showed the wave energy "flow" (for want of a better word) across the Pacific. I would have expected an even wave front slowly disipating, but it was not. It was more like what you would expect to see on water if you could see Wind. There were streams(literally) of lower and higher wave energy and Japan is in a very strong stream, hence why they are on alert for a very powerful wave. NZ ended up missing quite a lot of the energy. If we were in that very strong stream, the wave hitting here would be very much bigger and most likely would have solved much of our countries low IQ scale.

What I would like to know is (just curious), how did they plot that information. Satellite maybe? If it is satellite, why can't they use that same info to determin more accurate data faster of what is going to hit where and when. At the moment it seems that the authorities go by info that comes in from a Wave/Tidal bouy, which there aint that many out there, and measurments taken on an Island, which there ain't that many out there.

Arrrhaaa! found some interesting info.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories200 ... unami.html

NOAA Scientists Find Tsunami “Shadow” Visible from Space

For the first time, NOAA scientists have demonstrated that tsunamis in the open ocean can change sea surface texture in a way that can be measured by satellite-borne radars. The finding could one day help save lives through improved detection and forecasting of tsunami intensity and direction at the ocean surface.

“We’ve found that roughness of the surface water provides a good measure of the true strength of the tsunami along its entire leading edge. This is the first time that we can see tsunami propagation in this way across the open ocean,” said lead author Oleg Godin of

KM, those modern cruise ships can hold station automatically using bow and stern thrusters running under 'autopilot', rather likr an advanced SAR chopper (e.g. Sea-king) which can hover over a spot on the ocean in a gale. The big guys that go into Milford Sound don't even attempt to anchor in that deep water but 'hover' all night on auto thrusters - I'm told they can hold station in 40kts+.

Talking of the navy, I couldn't help grinning as I went past Frigate number 'F77' tied up at Devonport. I guess the other 76 frigates were out and about somewhere. Maybe they should consider renaming it to 'F01'.

I don't know about Facebook, but Civil Defence are certainly on Twitter. http://twitter.com/NZcivildefence

You can also sign up to get an automated text alert sent to your phone - someone put me on to this after the Samoa tsunami. I was kinda suspicious at first because the website looked quite commercial but they have never sent me anything other than the warnings I signed up for. So I did get a text at 2.50am yesterday in Otehei Bay - cursed at the phone and went back to sleep of course - but then other texts and calls started coming in...

I will add my congratulations to BOI Coastguard who were touring the bays letting boats know, as well as the very good broadcasts.

Anyway for text alerts:

- Go to http://www.optn.co.nz/ and click on the Optn Civil Defence link at the top left

- Select the Civil Defence Areas that you want alerts from, then text in the appropriate code.

Registering costs the princely sum of 50 cents but they say the CD warnings are free. All messages come with the proper instructions for opting out if you so choose.

Archived