RNI Deliveries

PeteG

Lock up your sheep, the South Islanders are on the way!

Anne and Errol on Bon Chance left Nelson this morning, and I think Redline was heading off too. Both going via west coast with a pretty good (although lightish) forecast until a bit of NE up towards the top at the weekend.

Think Halo is due to go next few days. Spirit next week I think.

We are hoping to leave Waikawa with Nonstop anytime after Friday next week if weather okay.

Looking forward to the race.

Pete

great to see boats are getting organised.... Sorry Oracle won't be competing in the RNI this time around....

if any out of towners )Pete) want a couch to kip on ...or help in some way.....let us know and see what i can do ..... we are 12 odd minutes from westhaven.

Hey thanks for that- we are probably as much dissapointed not having you guys to battle with again- we were very evenly matched last race!

All the best to Mrs Oracle too.

Mark and I will be up on the Tuesday night prior to the race start, would be really keen to catch up.

Jenny and Sue will arrive up by car on Thursday and are doing the inland SSANZ race (Short Handed Shopping Association of NZ)- All shopping malls be on notice!

The Boat will be in Bayswater, and us hoping to be staying with our mates in Mairangi Bay prior to the start (Keith I must ring! add to list of jobs!)

Cheers

Pete

PS As of lunchtime Friday Bon Chanse was 60 miles off Waikato River mouth in great 15 knot SE, all well on board and Redline still tied to her berth in Nelson.

Bon Chanse got up round the top overnight Saturday- struck a bit of weather there. Now in Opua til Thurs then Errol cruising down to Auckland over following few days.

Redline still in Nelson- has now pulled out of race.

Halo- not sure where they are

Spirit- not sure of his plans, but suspect he may be in the same situation as us with crap weather now.

Nonstop- we will not be leaving this week due to the next snotter due up your way over the weekend, looks like next possibility at least a week away. The windows of ideal weather are pretty small (very small portholes?)

If this pattern of weather stays in it could be a pretty interesting race! Def not as nice as last time round.

Cheers Pete

glad they made it round before this..... it would of been a good test of what is in store for them later in the race....

redline....thats a R930?.... owned by my old motorcycle road racing friend ...... nigel bish ?

is he based in nelson now ?

i wonder how many others will pulll out as the crunch comes...

interesting to see the elliott 1850 entered ....have seen it up in mahurangi...looks very purposeful...and i hear was built for 2 handed racing....?? how old and heavy is it though ?

Clear Vision - Young 11 - is sailing tomorrow (Fri 21st) from Welly to Gissy fully crewed. Then qualifier from Gissy to AKL the following weekend weather permitting. Midnight Express doing Nelson race this weekend then heading up.

Best of luck with the deliveries. Great to see Clear Vision is on the way.

It's a bugger for the Redline team. Sorry to hear you wont be in.

Does this mean wait-listed boats can get in, or is it too late? It would be a huge shame for everyone if we don't have a full fleet.

Does this mean wait-listed boats can get in, or is it too late? It would be a huge shame for everyone if we don't have a full fleet.

That drops the list to 39 and maybe a couple more wobbling. so not to late if someone's organised

3.12 Entries will be accepted until the normal closing date of 7th January 2011, by

completing the attached entry form accompanied by a fee of $400 and mailing it to

SSANZ, P O Box 40 550, Glenfield, Auckland.

3.13 Late entries, accompanied by a fee of $500 will be accepted until 4th February 2011

No entries will be accepted after this date.

Spirit getting organised to leave Nelson 2 handed this afternoon.

We are leaving on Nonstop from Waikawa on Sunday afternoon. Hoping to be going around the top Wednesday if southerly holds good.

Pleased to be able to answer that one - Nonstop was sitting snugly in the marina at Tutukaka last night, drying out a bit of gear today and poised for the last leg to Auckland. All well and looking relaxed.

Don't get me wrong as a full fleet of 40 boats would be awesome but I for one would be quite happy if there is less. I'd judge anything over 25 a success and over 30 is awesome (and I'm sure we will have over 30 even if a few more withdraw). There are still people out there talking of entering but I'd only want to see them if they are experienced and well prepared. I personally don't want to see more entries just to make sure we have a max fleet size. Quality is better than quantity and a few less takes a bit of pressure off the ports and also the admin.

Don't get me wrong as a full fleet of 40 boats would be awesome but I for one would be quite happy if there is less. I'd judge anything over 25 a success and over 30 is awesome (and I'm sure we will have over 30 even if a few more withdraw). There are still people out there talking of entering but I'd only want to see them if they are experienced and well prepared. I personally don't want to see more entries just to make sure we have a max fleet size. Quality is better than quantity and a few less takes a bit of pressure off the ports and also the admin.

Sounds very reasonable. I agree 30+ boats is fantastic.

Hi all

We finally got into Auckland with Nonstop on Sunday night, after what turned out to be a really light trip overall.

Left Waikawa on Monday morning after waiting for that nasty to pass by. We had SE only about 25/30 out the top of the sounds and it died back real quick as forecast to be about 15 by late arvo. After that we had 5-10 knot from behind all the way to the top for next couple of days. Motorsailed a lot of the time to keep moving as aware of chance of that tropical system coming to visit by Friday. We went around the top Thursday during the middle of the day in lovely conditions (so 3 days to top- bit slower than hoped for- needed more wind)

Bit light on diesel by now (took 140 lts) so had a sail in very light breeze from North Cape to Cavalli Islands overnight to get into motoring range to Tutukaka for our 15hrs fuel left. The easterly then came in on Friday morning along with rain later. Mark, Chris and Ellen all got VERY wet driving. Great sail from Brett to Tutukaka on the beginning of cyclone Wilma. A few hours later would have been very nasty.Got into the marina by 6ish.

Spent Saturday letting the wind die back and washing/drying gear and using Murky's 88 as an extra clothes line (thanks!).

Really enjoyed Tutukaka and the friendly locals so stayed overnight Saturday too and left first thing on Sunday. Great sail down to Auckland in 20-25 knot SW. Arrived North Head about 8.30 pm, dropped sails and motoring in, then the harbour errupted in the most awesome fireworks display! We were so amazed at the effort put on to welcolme us- must have cost a fortune- but be assurred we did notice and were really impressed!

Now all home again and looking forward to getting back up on 15th to get ready for the race.

Cheers

Pete

good to hear you made it thru pete,

yes those fireworks were great sunday night....... we were there too on orcle....went out in the morning,....but our youngest (1 year old)was getting worst,....(just a cold)...and weather wasn't getting any better, so motor sdailed home from izzy.. got to viaduct at 2130.. and saw the amazing fireworks.... got our 4 year old up to watch ....he was impressed......!!

cam i am pleased in your attitude towards to large amount of entries in this years.....

though i am still jealous that am not able to do it this year....

maybe now that josh's ride is possibly cancelled...i might be able to find a trusty crewman there...

Midnight Express got into Westhaven Saturday night.

I caught up with John O and Breta at Mansion House on Sat am and then ended up giving them a tow into their Marina.

They had a good but action filled delivery. Left Mana got too much breeze so ran and hid at D'Urville for a couple of days. Then a good trip around the top including a few good fish and stopped at Mongonui to confirm their fish and chip order. Then to Kawau, and now at P Pier. They had an electrical short and it fritzed their starter motor.

Otherwise they are all good.

Great to hear all the southerners are either there or making their way up. I understand Caro Vita will hoon up soon. Clear Vision arrived 530am Mon from Napier two handed. Left Napier at 325pm last Friday. Lovely weather just would have liked wind a beam or behind. Was on nose or close to all the way!!!

Caro Vita left Picton as planned on Saturday late afternoon, with 5 on board. They texted Sunday 10.30am that they were about 2 and a half hours to Castlepoint motoring into the NE. Looks like they have about a day of NE that will free off to the east/SE for the rest of the trip from Tuesday arvo- they should get a pretty quick ride from East Cape through to Auckland I would think. Due in Wednesday night/early hours of Thursday morning at this stage.

Archived