Transom cockpit drain cav 32

Good afternoon knowlageble people.

The existing cockpit drain system releases through an under  the water line throughhull. Terrible i know.....it means the seacock needs to be open while on the mooring.

This not good and i would like to change it with two transom drains above the water line. One for each tack.

The cockpit floor is few eanches above the water level (i still need to measure properly) so, there is room to make it happen in my opinion.

The question would be where to locate them so that on both tacks the cockpit would drain if water boarded. Do the lines need to point outwards (port and starboard a bit)?  Thinking of heeling here.

Also the exhaust outlet is in that general area. How close or far should i be from another through hull to mantain structural integrity?

One more thing...does anyone know what kind of deck - hull joint is on a cav 32.

Cheers guys!

I wouldn't recommend a change. Having owned a Cav 32, I think you will find that when sailing the cockpit is then at waterline as the water flow /displacement effect occurs. So other routing may not work - unless you like wet (ter) feet.

While there is a seacock, it is meant to be left open, and is really only there to meet category requirements / potential maintenance.

You shouldn't have any issues around structural integrity from the through hulls. The hulls are strong.

I added cockpit drains through the transom on my Cav 36. It was only to meet the drainage surface area rule for Category so I also kept the existing ones. The 36 has the same setup with the exit though the floor to the hull exiting under water. Never heard of an issue.

Deck / hull joint is epoxy and stainless bolts under the teak toe rail. The deck has an upturned lip to meet the hull. The lip has the bolts through it.

Long time ago but something like 1/4in machine screws at say 150 centres. 
The toe rail covers the bolts and is constructed of three pieces of teak. One piece on the deck lip, one piece on the hull and a thicker capping piece on the top.

The deck and hull are also bonded together inside the boat with approximately 400 wide chopped strand mat and polyester.

I don't have a Cav, but had the same issue, so I raised my cockpit floor, glassed in two angled stern drains above the waterline with rubber flaps. No chance my boat sinking when I'm not there, no seacocks to eff about with or worry about failing. 

I hate holes below the waterline period, so I have none.  But each to their own.

Edit. Found a pic. You can see the gray coloured flap to keep water out, but let it drain from cockpit.  

1661278434667_IMG_0047~2.jpg

Hey thank you about the detail on the deck hull connection. Good memory! Really!

Also I apreciate someone else has the same feelings about the cockpit draining under the water line. I forgot to mention that whoever has designed the system has made the bilge pumpe descharge in the cockpit....meaning if for any reason the drain fails, is going to keep on feeding it self...not good in my opinion.

Also on my boat the waterline is about 150mm from the bottom of the cockpit floor.  

Eventualy i may have both operational.

Open the transom drain while on the mooring (keeping the under the waterline closed). Vice versa while sailing...in case it is actually a problem

In any case i haven't moved the existing sea cock in a while so yeah, good reminder..

Cheers

If you're worried about the metal seacocks being old and corroded, replace them with Trudesign type. If you're not sure, hit them with a hammer next time you're out of the water. If they break then you need new ones :)

If the metal hasn't gone soft then keep them, just poke a stick up into them with a blob of waterproof grease on it and work them back and forth a few times a year so they don't seize up.

The hose is usually too short to come off but replace it if it's getting old and make sure there are two tight stainless hose clamps in good condition on each end.

One potential safety issue on cockpit drains is that the hoses should usually be crossed to opposite sides so they cant siphon water in when you are heeled over (may or may not apply to the cav 32). If you get the outlet in the wrong place then water can get forced up it by your stern wake even if it's above the waterline. If you put the outlets above the waterline then you might find the crossed hose goes uphill and doesn't work or even fills the cockpit when you're heeled over.

I never heard of any problem with original below the waterline seacocks when they are as the designer intended, they are very common on that type of yacht. The original designer knew what they were doing, changing the arrangement could create more problems than it solves.

The main safety consideration with seacocks is they are often not big enough - the cockpit can hold a tonne or so of water if you get hit by a big wave, you want to get rid of that weight really fast before the next wave comes along, and not into the cabin or cockpit lockers. It might be worth adding extra drains if you ever go offshore but not removing the originals, like Battleship, if his Cat1 inspector recommended it then they had reasons.

The only problem I had with my Cav 32 cockpit drains is if you cleaned the cockpit of fish scraps after cleaning up after fishing, the scraps would slowly rot down in the tubes. Used to flush out and use an old heaving line poked down the drains to dislodge the smelly items and dispatch them to where they all came from.

A bit hard to see in these photos but I have two drains from my Cav 32 cockpit discharging directly aft. (Roughly rectangular 35x75mm at a guess)They work well and never leaked since I have had the boat. I have wet(ish) feet in some conditions but nothing that has ever bothered me. I can could photograph in more detail if that will be helpfulDSC_6057.thumb.JPG.db338836813538f2bb567dedb99c255b.JPG

DSC_6044.JPG

I got all the old throughhulls done a couple of years back and no dodgeiness is left behind there.....or so i hope...i did find a bit of core rott but, removed it.

I ll quietly take a decision and let you know in a season or two how it worked out 😀

Cheers