Sir Michael et al depart Squadron

Ever feel like the wool has been pulled over your eyes?

When this AC decision first came out I asked myself what changed? We still had the venues paid for by taxpayers, we still had the bases,  the manufacturers, the crews, the team, the skills, the boats to practice on, the home team advantages, the supporters, the goodwill and a non-covid world to look forward too.

Maybe Emirates called in its chips and demanded the series be sailed in its home market and the club folded to Daltons pressure, either way I know a few people who have left the club for the same reasons. 

I got told off a few years ago for saying this but its just a boat race.

Really - who cares or gives a flying f.

Fays departure from the squaddie is just another display of someone who thinks there opinion matters - and on the realisation that it doesn't,  having a tanty.

So far as I can see the AC has always been this way.

Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

Good on Sir Michael and his mates although why they waited 5 months is still a bit confusing. The thing I still don’t understand is why the whole membership didn’t either force Mr Young and his committee out or all cancel their membership force a collapse of the club and then re form with new leadership who were less in Daltons pocket and actually listened to their members. Pretty sure similar things happened a few times in the clubs early history as they did at PCC and maybe VCC?

clubs are essentially democratic if the leadership move too far away from what their members want then take away their power.

straw poll how many of you are or have considered cancelling their membership over this?

I think the defence definitely should be sailed in Auckland.

I am no longer a member of RNZYS.

Unfortunately it is the case that the revenue from advertising, sponsorship and media coverage etc. would be far greater, the cup being sailed in the northern hemisphere than in NZ due to the time and the vast population that can watch the sailing live. Money to some, means more than loyalty.

Yep I dropped out of my old club when they prioritised functions over running races, that’s why SSANZ is the club for me. They run a select few races each year really well, don’t have a bricks and mortar club to worry about running costs and actually focus on providing yacht racing

The small clubs focussing on learn to sail and green fleet racing seem to understand what’s required, I wonder if the flash buildings on the waterfront actually complicate things?

The flash buildings on the waterfront were, in the main, erected on a shoestring with volunteer labour, donations and support from the then land owners (eg Auckland Harbour Board). Ground rental was cheap and Clubs could focus on their reason for being. 

Subsequent land owners, zoning changes and changes in philosophy have forced Clubs to look for revenue to pay the commercial rate leases now charged.

No club really wishes to concentrate on running a business with venue hires and outside rentals- they are forced to do so to stay alive. And some are dropping by the wayside or are close to it.

Yes, SSANZ functions well and may well be the way of the future. A "virtual" club with none of the overheads.

No Club with fixed assets, staff etc can compete with this. Still, Clubhouses are still used for briefings and prizegivings by the likes of SSANZ and Owners Associations. 

The whole face of our sport, access to berthage, environmental concerns,  maintenance facilities, traditional cruising grounds etc etc is changing and I fear future generations will not be able to enjoy what we have had on a reasonable budget if at all as we did.

Feel priviliged and lucky to have been able to enjoy it.

• Upvote 5

I like the waterfront club locale, only if to keep it sports oriented rather than developers knocking up yet more apartments on public land. But that said there is a lot of wasted space accommodating 3 clubs when they could all easily share the same premises. The empty buildings could be used for other sporting, public or charitable purposes. 

• Like 1

This was all announced some time back, but good on Michael for keeping it in the public eye -Grants retirement plan . I also know quite a few members who have resigned over it and the value they are getting from their $700.00 plus dollars when drinks are double the price of other yacht clubs (with the same booze supplier)

• Upvote 2

With the Squadron AGM on this week, will Jim Farmer go for commodore, stack the committee with supporters who will sack ETNZ, cancel Barcelona, and hold the next event in Auckland?

This article suggests it could happen:

A former Team New Zealand director is putting the pressure on the next Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron boss to get the America's Cup back home.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2022/08/america-s-cup-pressure-growing-to-stage-defence-in-new-zealand-amid-controversial-barcelona-call.html

Old story again, picked up by journos with no research, the incoming Commodore is a strong supporter of Dalton selling the cup and the status quo, in fact he raised three cheers for Aaron Young on saturday evening !! History will record what these guys allowed to occur. Jim Farmer has a great overview of the Team and all the goings on.

I believe the cup headed offshore primarily so that the show can generate more  money. Now its just looking for someone to blame but another way to view it is that Fay is doing the adult version of stamping his feet and chucking his toys out of the cot.  If the new commodore gave the past one a cheer its because he's not the kind of person to put the boot in.