Sir Michael et al depart Squadron

would this debacle ever of happened if Blake was still around??

Know very that are interrsted in the cup since foiling came along and even less now its going offshore.

Did watch the GPs in Denmark? far more interesting racing as its fleet racing.

• Upvote 1

Good doco, watched it a few weeks back, as BP said mostly better sails, if the keel was that good everyone would have gone that way no.

what the keel did was get it’s centre of gravity a lot lower, as in the bulbs we see now on racing yachts. The old 12 metre yachts had a very high CoG

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, harrytom said:

Watched on "Netfilx" The Australia 1983 campagin.Was it really the keel or did they manage to just get under Dens skin??

From SA post:

‘’The whole Australia II (A-II) package was incredible, from Benbobs innovation, Bertrands determination, Schnackenberg’s sails, Bondy’s money & foresight, plus a dedicated, talented and thoroughly professional crew.

BUT, for my mind the reason A-II got up on the downwind leg allowing them win the race was an absolutely brilliant tactical call by the tactician Hugh Treharne. Hughie spotted the shift that DC didn’t, took the punt & gybed into it and then A-II were in front at the bottom mark. The rest is history. No amount of a “great package” could make up the large deficit at the top mark by boat speed alone. It was tactical…

Side note about Hughie : A-II had a slight speed deficit downwind because their spinnakers were sub-par compared to Liberty’s. Hugh Treharne, a sail maker himself, eventually took over the spinnaker maintenance and spent many a night re-cutting all A-II kites, somehow making them more stable and draw better like Liberty’s were. A-II was notably faster down wind with his re-cut kites.’’

Listen to the Tom Whidden podcast to get the other side of the story:

https://shirleyrobertson.com/podcast/

He reckons that Australia had a faster boat, and should have won easily but were outsailed by USA, who won more starts and had better tactics.
USA took a punt on a new designer, but when the boat was built it didn't measure, so they had to go back to NYYC to ask for more money. When the third boat was built it was no faster than their boat from the previous cup.

Had A 2 not suffered steering and mainsail pin drop out might of been over quicker,Liked the NYC panick.Trying to pressure the Dutch in to say they invented the keel.

I read with interest how Daltonb wants crawl and hold a series here before the Spanish event "Go F yourself"Dalton.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/exclusive-grant-dalton-wants-lead-in-americas-cup-event-in-auckland-seeks-council-meeting/WFATJGWBIHZTWPK6RYF2I7AVWA/

The Spanish team defending the America's Cup should be able to afford a pretty nice event in Auckland with all that extra sponsorship money they've opened up by moving to Europe right? Right? They're not going to expect a small city like Auckland no longer directly involved to pay, right? Right?

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, harrytom said:

Trying to pressure the Dutch in to say they invented the keel.

Yes, that sounded very underhanded. 

The way Tom Whidden tells it, the rule stated the keel had to be designed in competitors country, but Lexcen said he designed it in Holland. So maybe USA were right on that?

4 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Yes, that sounded very underhanded. 

The way Tom Whidden tells it, the rule stated the keel had to be designed in competitors country, but Lexcen said he designed it in Holland. So maybe USA were right on that?

Could be true

https://www.smh.com.au/national/winged-keel-not-lexcens-design-dutch-architect-claims-20091013-gvnr.html

I have done a (not exhaustive) study during the last 20 months and feel I have a reasonable understanding of the new language "Daltonese" 

When he says I want to talk to someone sensible at the council about an event here, translation is : The ratepayers can pay and Matteo and I can bank, and the Squadron will back me up on this.  😊

• Haha 1

I have a lot of respect for what Dalts has achieved in his own racing and with ETNZ. However, language like that "talk to someone sensible" reminds me of a bully who is used to getting their own way. As you said, the ratepayers will likely foot the bill, and if indeed the city holds the risk then I'd support anyone who tells him to get stuffed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

$2m loss for America’s Cup sailing club: Royal NZ Yacht Squadron in financial trouble

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron’s estimated trading loss for the last financial year has risen to almost $2 million as the club hunts for savings in a bid to “achieve long term sustainability”. It blamed the loss on the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic and stormy weather in early 2023 and immediately started a “Reset” journey to turns its finances around.

“The financial loss for this year will be closer to $2m. This is higher than originally forecast due to the review and reset of our Fixed Asset Register,” Commodore Andrew Aitken wrote in the newsletter. Much of the extra projected loss was due to asset write-offs, Aitken said. He said the club’s Reset Committee wrote off 247 assets no longer in the club’s possession as well as assets with a value below $2000 - totalling $467,489.

It also wrote down the value of boats owned by the club but which it is selling - including Elliott Fleet, Pembles, the Etchells and Phantoms - by a value of $240,199. Aitken said other costs contributing to the loss included costs associated with training material, IT service losses of $33,480, sailing event losses worth $90,000 and a $110,000 loss designated as “members subscriptions and debtors adjustment”.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/2m-loss-for-americas-cup-sailing-club-royal-nz-yacht-squadron-in-financial-trouble/HIRR5A5NWNBXTHH2O2WYREKLW4/

Those Stewart sailors arent buying enough rum over the bar ! Seriously though two glasses of Chardonnet last week at members pricing $35.00 and they wonder why we drink on board. Buy a round of drinks for the crew $70-80  and if we won  - you get  a $38.00 bottle of rum you do the maths.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, waikiore said:

Those Stewart sailors arent buying enough rum over the bar ! Seriously though two glasses of Chardonnet last week at members pricing $35.00 and they wonder why we drink on board. Buy a round of drinks for the crew $70-80  and if we won  - you get  a $38.00 bottle of rum you do the maths.

serious $35 for 2 glasses?? thought my 2 double rums at the viaduct was robbery $28 for 2

11 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Anyone know what’s happening with the E7s when the new ones arrive ?  Asking for a friend . It would be unfortunate if they end up in Aussie where they already have a heap of them . 

They are for sale as a group lot I believe.

• Upvote 1