Anyone know anything about this boat???

Bulb bow? Now there’s a topic for Dad and Des to have a beer over in the bar frequented by those who’ve sailed over the horizon for the last time. The dodger and boarding platform are also non-original. Reminiscing might be a safer topic, though my arrival among the shavings post-dates the harbour bridge by half a dozen years. We actually got to watch dolphins come up the estuary from our classrooms at Ngunguru School occasionally. Not too many kids got to do that during their schooldays. We found money in the lead too, buying it from plumbers and using sinker moulds to supply a couple of sports stores in Whangarei. My enthusiasm for this early enterprise was dampened when I put in a pipe that still had some water in it. Dad also built us a couple of three foot dinghies that I used to still go for and occasional hoon in as a teenager – in the innocent days before schoolboy rowing involved litigation.  

Maroro - on Sydney Harbour, 1962.jpg

Maroro - Whangarei Harbour, 1960ish.JPG

Slice of Lemon - sea trials off Tutukaka, 1976.JPG

A friend of mine sailed on SOL to the Islands a few years back as crew. We had conversations after that about the bulb and other mods . She doesn't meet the Des T aesthetic anymore but the feeling was that the extra waterline aft helps and the bulb on the bow did do something . Posssibly a bit akin to the ram bows we see on the new race boats , a bit of wave piercing and pitch dampening. You have to love an inquisitive mind and the follow through of actually trying something out.