Landlubber Questions

what about 'hard on' or 'laid flat' or 'hard over'

'Watch out for the boom' had me listening for some great noise for quite a while

'Easing the sheets' sounds slightly erotic

'to go forward' is more of a conversion move

Wow, I can't tell which ones are jokes and which ones are real terms.

Unfortunately they are all sailing terms that get learnt almost as a new language over time. They can take on a completely different meaning when taken out of context!

Having a hard time getting an answer to this one, since the word has different meanings, but what is a "launch" in sailing terms, such as "she's an 8m launch."

I'm guessing it just means a type of a boat? Perhaps a sailboat that requires to be launched (trailer-sailer)?

In that context a launch is a powerboat.

also know as -

Fizz nasties

Stinkers

Pains in the arse

Tossers

Gas guzzlers

Carbon way Unfreindlies

and a multitude of others :)

But sometimes called 'damn handy' as in some launch towed us in which was damn handy ;)

Generally we have 6 sorts of broad terms used in NZ.

Fizzy - off the beach fizz boat with a motor, usually trailered and sub 8mts

Launch - usually 8mts odd and larger, lives on a mooring or in a marina.

Yacht - real boats with sails that mostly live on moorings or marinas but a few on trailers.

Trailer sailor - again a yacht, usually sub 8mts and lives on a trailer.

Dingy - usually a off the beach type yacht i.e. a Hobie or Opti but also refers to dingys as in the ones the bigger boats tow when going away. It's usually pretty obvious which of those 2 is being talked about in a conversion. Dingys can have motors or sails and some even have the ability to use both, usual knot at the same time.

Ship - a big bit of steel that if anyone has any of the above and 1/2 a clue they stay out of their way.

And maybe add Superyacht these days. Usually 30mts plus, can be sail or power, way out of most people budget.

The hassle you'll find grifter is many words used on a race track and sometimes cruising are words that have morphed from a word that was morphed from a word that was morphed from a word used by some dudes in 1605. Most are easy to work out often but some are a bit trickier. If in doubt what the 'slang' is just use the more known term, you'll be corrected as required, even if it that does involve a small but quickly forgotten giggle while it happens. We all had to learn at some stage so we've all been there done that, you're no different so don't worry about that.

Here's a more obscure but used a fair bit one. What is a 'Smart Pig'? It's a term for a bit of gear found and used on 90% of all yachts. You won't find it on anything but a yacht. Like many terms it is a play on the usually more known and used name, which will give you an insite into just how tricky it can be especially amongst a pile of season veterans, who I may add probably wouldn't use it if talking to a newbie. And No it's knot a clued up slapper with low morals but a great personality :)

Archived