Boat identification - former offshore racer (?) moored in upper harbour

Hi there, 

I was wondering whether anyone could id / knows what this boat is? Currently moored on the Chelsea side in the upper harbour channel? Looks like an old offshore racer of some sort? Seen last Saturday last. 

Thanks!

20220903_132056336.png.1917b8c1b4c7847dc8e5baa25392bba6.png

5 minutes ago, Psyche said:

I think the people who own this live in Aussie if its the same one I'm thinking of. Looks like a massive hole in the water hence the conversion to a mussel farm.

Great, thanks a lot, yeah I'd imagine it is (the same one), its pretty distinct. Looks like it had some signwriting removed from the topsides ... so evidently might have been something interesting at one stage. 

14 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

It’s on a FB page called “sitting there Rotting “  think it might be a holland IOR ? Or a Farr . There’s two very similar boats , ones out east somewhere 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/459489185082355/permalink/638732543824684/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/459489185082355/permalink/634163734281565/

Great thanks - yup thats the same one. Seems to be a German Frers 50 something called "Merry Thought" ?

Its cheaper to leave it on a mooring until it sinks and say you've sold it on to someone so not my problem!  

These enterprising gents tried a different approach :) 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/two-men-who-scuttled-vessel-in-waiheke-island-marine-reserve-and-misled-investigators-fined-40000-in-environment-court/CVQVBWOPVLILZWFGKZJ6KQ74R4/

21 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Its cheaper to leave it on a mooring until it sinks and say you've sold it on to someone so not my problem!  

These enterprising gents tried a different approach :) 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/two-men-who-scuttled-vessel-in-waiheke-island-marine-reserve-and-misled-investigators-fined-40000-in-environment-court/CVQVBWOPVLILZWFGKZJ6KQ74R4/

😂

1 hour ago, JBNZ said:

Great thanks - yup thats the same one. Seems to be a German Frers 50 something called "Merry Thought" ?

There was a number of very well put together racing yachts called Merrythought out of Annapolis owned by Jack King the biggest I recall was about 62ft they raced East Coat of US and Caribbean , including Pineapple Cup, don't know if this one is from the same stable but it was a very good well run program, that might be a good place to start.

Most of the 50's had a single large diameter wheel for helm, this twin wheel setup maybe a subsequent improvement.

The boats were light and fundementally empty inside good inshore coastal racing but would probably need more work to survive a bad Sydney Hobart.

Thats my ten cents.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rats said:

There was a number of very well put together racing yachts called Merrythought out of Annapolis owned by Jack King the biggest I recall was about 62ft they raced East Coat of US and Caribbean , including Pineapple Cup, don't know if this one is from the same stable but it was a very good well run program, that might be a good place to start.

Most of the 50's had a single large diameter wheel for helm, this twin wheel setup maybe a subsequent improvement.

The boats were light and fundementally empty inside good inshore coastal racing but would probably need more work to survive a bad Sydney Hobart.

Thats my ten cents.

Cool, thanks for the good info. I was confused about the dual vs single helm ... as all the Merrythought boats i saw were single helmed ... didnt know the owner name, good to know. Would be keen for a look onboard / below. I read something on the Admirals Cup as well i think .... thanks for the info 👍