DIY repainting

Well, Island Time is long overdue for a repaint. A couple of weeks ago I made the call to paint her myself. I decided I could do the topsides 1st, and gave myself 3 weeks off work.

Well, 15 days in, heaps of sanding, filling, priming, undercoating, and sanding. Oh yeah and sanding.

I'm using the Altex system, epoxy undercoat and 321 brushing polyurethane. Following from the great job Joel did on his 1020, I've thinned the paints 7%. Seems to be working well.

I also was using a cheap vac with my dewalt sander. It died of overuse. Upon advice from a friend who's a boat builder, I coughed up for a better vac, and bought a decent one (Nilfisk Attix 44) with proper filters and a knocking cycle to help knock the dust from the filters. What a difference! No dust escapes from the vac at all, sandpaper lasts longer, and sanding is considerably faster - with the same sander, just a better vac.

Anyway, 15 days on the boat full time, and ist top coat this morning, starting to flatten out as it's supposed to.

I'm pretty happy so far, but hoping the paint will flatten out like it's supposed to as it dries.

Topside repaint 1st Topcoat port.jpg

Topside repaint 1st top coat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
35 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

I hope you meant the vac died and not your dewalt sander? Looks nice. What sort of boat is IT?

Yeah, the old Ozito vac. The sander is fine :-) . Island Time is a Farr Phase 4 (very like a 1220..)

I have just done the inside of the cabin top with 321, didn't thin it and had to tip the rolled surface off. The finish is good and really glossy. I used the Interlux version when it first came out on the decks of my old boat. What I didn't realise was how slowly it cured. I was all finished about 2pm in the afternoon, the dew came down about 10pm and completely destroyed the finish. There was nothing in any of their literature warning about outdoor use. I ended up having to redo the decks by spraying with 2 pack car lacquer that goes off fast to avoid the dew problem. Fingers crossed it all works out good for you.

6 hours ago, Panache said:

I have just done the inside of the cabin top with 321, didn't thin it and had to tip the rolled surface off. The finish is good and really glossy. I used the Interlux version when it first came out on the decks of my old boat. What I didn't realise was how slowly it cured. I was all finished about 2pm in the afternoon, the dew came down about 10pm and completely destroyed the finish. There was nothing in any of their literature warning about outdoor use. I ended up having to redo the decks by spraying with 2 pack car lacquer that goes off fast to avoid the dew problem. Fingers crossed it all works out good for you.

Funny you should say that. Last night about 6 there was a big temp drop and hard rain. Marked the hull with spots, and completely de-glossed the transom, esp the sloped parts. :-(. Another coat today, back to glossy, I hope that it will be off sufficiently tonight - looks like the dew point will be about 6 deg tonight, which is what the low is forecast to be. Here's hoping it will be OK - at least no rain forecast this time...

Totally agree this problem should be in the literature, but its not anywhere I can see. 

I contacted Interlux several times about this problem, they didn't want to know, didn't send a rep out to view the boat, basically ignored me. All I wanted from them was to include the slow cure dew problem in the literature when they next reviewed it. I don't know if that ever happened as I rarely use their products anymore. Need a warm night with a light breeze, hopefully that will happen. Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Panache said:

I contacted Interlux several times about this problem, they didn't want to know, didn't send a rep out to view the boat, basically ignored me. All I wanted from them was to include the slow cure dew problem in the literature when they next reviewed it. I don't know if that ever happened as I rarely use their products anymore. Need a warm night with a light breeze, hopefully that will happen. Good luck.

Just to be clear to all;

Interlux is international - their equivalent product is Perfection and Perfection Pro - a 2 pack polyurethane 

I'm using Altex - NZ made - 321 brushing polyurethane (also 2 pack)

My understanding is that this is an issue with Polyurethanes, and would effect any paint of this type. Altex have said, if it happens again, a heavily thinned additional coat applied in the morning will set more quickly, and therefore retain the gloss. That will be tomorrow if needed. Hopefully not...

When a painter sprayed my C29 it was touch and go on the dew point so we put fan heaters in the boat and I slept on board , we got away with it except for a wee patch near the anchor locker. On another note a number of fellow club members have had durability  issues with 2 Part Poly applied over an epoxy base, myself too. It seemed to fade and chalk up after three seasons or so and the lunch room consensus was that the UV was encouraging some sort of chemical interaction with the epoxy.

I'm sure the Altex manf instructions say its OK though and with the number of coats you have put on it should be fine but in the unlikely event you have issues I would hold them to account, she looks sharp, good finish.

2 minutes ago, Frank said:

When a painter sprayed my C29 it was touch and go on the dew point so we put fan heaters in the boat and I slept on board , we got away with it except for a wee patch near the anchor locker. On another note a number of fellow club members have had durability  issues with 2 Part Poly applied over an epoxy base, myself too. It seemed to fade and chalk up after three seasons or so and the lunch room consensus was that the UV was encouraging some sort of chemical interaction with the epoxy.

I'm sure the Altex manf instructions say its OK though and with the number of coats you have put on it should be fine but in the unlikely event you have issues I would hold them to account, she looks sharp, good finish.

+1 on the fan heaters Frank. I had 1 in the boat and 2 others in the shed. They were just enough to take the chill out of the air. Have seen others (in other painting situations) using lpg or diesel heaters. While these warm up the air they also put a sh*t load of moisture in the air, ultimately slowing down the curing process. 

Yes it was a long time ago, all brushable poyurethanes are slow cure to make them brushable, The Altex 321 I painted on the inside of the cabin roof the other day seemed to take an eternty to go off. I put a fan heater on inside the boat before I started because there was condensation and I was painting inside. When I paint the outside I will do what you have suggested and heat the whole boat up.

Well, ready for relaunch tomorrow. I learned a few things that might be useful to others. 3 weeks full time work for one...

September is probably about a month too early for outdoor painting. The nights (especially one - the most important one!) can be too cold. If the temp drops to dew point (actual temp depends on humidity and pressure) the gloss is lost.  I lost some gloss in places on the hull due to this. Really I should have done a 3rd topcoat, to fix it, but no guarantees that would come out any better! So it is what it is.

She looks pretty good from 3m, but a close inspection wouldn't pass! There are bits on the hull that were too dry in the topcoat, although at the time I could not see them, and neither could a mate who was spotting. When the top coat was finished, I was pretty disappointed - it looked to bumpy to flatten out - but it is flattening now, and continuing to do so. The gloss is not too bad...

Paint finsihed Stb Aft.jpg

Paint Finsihed Port Fwd.jpg

Paint Finished Stb Fwd.jpg

Paint Finished Port Aft.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yep, full tent would have fixed it. Price to wrap was more than the whole paint job cost, incl hard stand! Could have made up something myself, but GH did not allow sufficient space around the boat for that without a substantial increase on hardstand fees. :-(

• Upvote 1

Looks great, you can always cut and polish at some stage(some lpu's can't be cut though) as for paint vs wrap I prefer paint. Mainly for durability, my paint job was rolled 11 years ago and is still ok, cant see wrap lasting that long.

On 13/09/2022 at 12:53 PM, Island Time said:

321 brushing polyurethane

Almost at the painting stage, what type of roller did you use? some foam rollers give that orange peel look, should i tip off??