Throttle and gear shift cables

I have just successfully replaced my throttle assembly with the spinlock system.

Is it a worthwhile exercise to replace the control cables?

They aren't stiff and they operate smoothly.

There is no sign of wear on the outside sheath.

They would be as old as the boat (27yrs)

I have no idea of the internal condition. 

I only ask cause the throttle assembly, which was the same age, imploded catastrophically resulting in a near miss. And if I had looked at that two weeks ago I would of thought it just fine... nek minute. 

The last thing I want is a broken gear cable with the engine stuck in forward again...

Is it a waste of time?  Or good maintenance?

Thoughts? 

The cost is fairly minimal... https://www.trademe.co.nz/3780317136

One of mine broke after 27 years of work, I replaced it with a new unit which was quite straight forward and not too expensive amazingly. As part of the exercise I got an assistant to operate the mechanism while I watched and found the alignment was quite poor as it was placing twisting loads on the cable. That alignment was the cause of the breakage probably, by just bending and resetting some brackets and levers it was quickly remedied and probably a worthwhile exercise whether you replace them or not. I would replace them if you spot any similar problem.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

I have just successfully replaced my throttle assembly with the spinlock system.

Is it a worthwhile exercise to replace the control cables?

They aren't stiff and they operate smoothly.

There is no sign of wear on the outside sheath.

They would be as old as the boat (22yrs)

I have no idea of the internal condition. 

I only ask cause the throttle assembly, which was the same age, imploded catastrophically resulting in a near miss. And if I had looked at that two weeks ago I would of thought it just fine... nek minute. 

The last thing I want is a broken gear cable with the engine stuck in forward again...

Is it a waste of time?  Or good maintenance?

Thoughts? 

The cost is fairly minimal... https://www.trademe.co.nz/3780317136

Not looking for an argument or anything but I’m sure i raced against your boat in a 96 or 97 or whangaroa race . Think it was based at KCC then 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

Not looking for an argument or anything but I’m sure i raced against your boat in a 96 or 97 or whangaroa race . Think it was based at KCC then 

haha - trying to work out what you were on about... yep my maths is way out - CD was launched in '95, built by Bish Marine.

So the cables are most likely 27yrs old!

• Upvote 1