Fisheries amendment act, rescuefish and legasea

I was stopped in the Kaipara, while doing a channel edge cruise, seeing and marking just where any off shoot channels were for future use. A flash (a state of the art, every bell and whistle fitted) $$$$ ?? fizz boat headed my way, they had to come alongside as my ears don't work so well when i'm sailing by myself. It was a fisheries patrol. 2 guys and a woman, they were surprised to see a yacht in the Kaipara, they didn't think there were any! I wasn't of interest to them as I wasn't fishing. Very tidy, uniforms etc. Nice and friendly, but I could imagine that could change rapidly if you had transgressed in any way. They then zoomed off to continue their patrol. I'm not sure where they are based, or whether they were all professional fisheries officers or a mix of professional and volunteers.

• Upvote 2

I see the Coromandel Scallop fishery is now closed indefinitely for commercial as well as the previous recreational , its a good move , but why do we often seem to wait until a fishery is near collapse before acting ?

This sits alongside the high court ruling that affected CRAY 1 catch limits, its good to see NGO's holding Gummint agencies accountable for allowing unsustainable catch limits and practices, now we just need to ban trawling in the gulf.

". The key finding of the Court was that the advice provided to the Minister about the effects of rock lobster fishing on the aquatic environment, particularly with regard to the formation of kina barrens, was not consistent with the best available information."

The only open scallop beds are in the manukau for how long?? Who knows Why ban trawlers when reccs in the gulf take 3 times what comms take Trawlers operate over same grounds They don't move and plough new grounds.Check out Sanford's Facebook on trawling. Not a fan of comms but we do not have a right to fish.

On 26/01/2023 at 11:29 AM, Steve Pope said:

I was stopped in the Kaipara, while doing a channel edge cruise, seeing and marking just where any off shoot channels were for future use. A flash (a state of the art, every bell and whistle fitted) $$$$ ?? fizz boat headed my way, they had to come alongside as my ears don't work so well when i'm sailing by myself. It was a fisheries patrol. 2 guys and a woman, they were surprised to see a yacht in the Kaipara, they didn't think there were any! I wasn't of interest to them as I wasn't fishing. Very tidy, uniforms etc. Nice and friendly, but I could imagine that could change rapidly if you had transgressed in any way. They then zoomed off to continue their patrol. I'm not sure where they are based, or whether they were all professional fisheries officers or a mix of professional and volunteers.

I have since found out that the fisheries Dept. fiz boat is based in Whangarei, trailered to the Kaipara, does its run and is then trailered back to Whangarei

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

I have since found out that the fisheries Dept. fiz boat is based in Whangarei, trailered to the Kaipara, does its run and is then trailered back to Whangarei

With your probing for channels may if thought you were looking for scollies as it's closed too.

10 hours ago, harrytom said:

With your probing for channels may if thought you were looking for scollies as it's closed too.

No Scallops where I was, they were just curious that a sailing boat was in the Kaipara. Having to work the tides though, 20 minutes through the funnel (Tinopai) with the tide, 2 + hours against the tide on return, motor sailing, couldn't make headway under the head sail, Without the engine it would an anchor and await the change of tide.

• Like 1
On 21/03/2023 at 7:21 AM, harrytom said:

The only open scallop beds are in the manukau for how long?? Who knows Why ban trawlers when reccs in the gulf take 3 times what comms take Trawlers operate over same grounds They don't move and plough new grounds.Check out Sanford's Facebook on trawling. Not a fan of comms but we do not have a right to fish.

I agree broadly with those points, recreational fishing needs to do its part too

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Frank said:

I agree broadly with those points, recreational fishing needs to do its part too

I believe we should pay a licence fee and that money would pay for more fishary officers. Haven't seen one at our ramp for almost 2 yrs

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Guest said:

Being at the head of food chain we think because we can we will. Human entitlement.

Rec take is vastly underestimated and should be cut. Trophy fishing should be banned or tag only. Licence all fishers and mandatory course for tag/release. Transgressions, take more boats. Commercial scale, lock them up.

Time to respect our planet.

We take if legal,no throwing back due to the risk of barotrauma,yes niwa has done a study and result released later this yr. The youtube clip doesnt show depth but fish swim away I believe sub 10m.

This one from Aussie well worth watching and legasea and co,say its not snapper and dismiss it. 

https://fishingworld.com.au/videos/how-to-videos/video-barotrauma-in-golden-snapper/

Trophy hunters need to be shot.Yes be great to join the 20lb club but not to mount but would given to a family in need like most of our catch.

• Upvote 1

I think if we really want to help rebuild the fish stocks you would completely rewrite the rules...

No minimum size.

Maximum total number of fish.

No throwing back.

Once you have caught your limit...No more fishing.

Before you say I'm crazy... stop and think about it.

I believe the mortality rate on released fish is fairly high... So this stops the killing of many fish on the way to your current limit of 7 Snapper.

It will cause fishermen to adjust techniques to minimise catching small fish.

However I don't think that will ever happen... So another change that I think could make quite a difference is ban barbed hooks....

• Like 1

Yes we wre out in the 45/50m  mark off colville on Friday,lots of 28/31 snapper around,Would e happy to take first 7 at that size,sweet unlike the bigger fish.

Now if we were serious about increasing fish stock. There are a number of things we can do,

1) no fishing within 1 mile of any shoreline or out lying islands(protect fry etc hiding in kelp  ,protects breeding /growing fish

2)no size limit,you catch must be kept

3) no taking any shell fish except kina and no limit on kina,reduce kina barrons and re establishs kelp

4)restrict trawlers out to the 100m mark.

5)restrict where longliners can operate,they lay 3000 hooks a time with a 1 in 20 strike rate.

6)introduce $20 pa fishing licence for all. 600k fishers in NZ x $20 =$12 mil. That would be used to increase fishery officers + vessels    without officers  number 2 wont work.

Would keep the current 7 snapper limit but drop combined bag limit from 20 down to 12 . 

Customary rights stays but limit take and enforce all stock to be legal size,no excemptions

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, harrytom said:

6)introduce $20 pa fishing licence for all. 600k fishers in NZ x $20 =$12 mil. That would be used to increase fishery officers + vessels    without officers  number 2 wont work.

The administration alone would cost more than the licence fee.  Just pay it out of taxes. 

Increase fisheries surveillance significantly especially at boat ramps.  Strict liability on offences with loss of gear as the only outcome for offending.  Change the quota system to reduce the waste of by-catch.  Mandate cameras and surveillence technology on commercial boats.  No discussion.  Again, strict liablity including on skipper and owner.

The biggest change is cultural, get people to change attitudes that justify greed. How many fish do you need to catch? Ive heard it all from I have family to feed so I need X fish, or I only go out twice a season so I can take more etc. Do we really want fish policeman everywhere legislated to board your vessel and treating everyone like criminals?

You also have to overcome an industry that is built on encouraging fishing and the easy availability of high tech gear that means everyone can enjoy fishing any species to collapse.

People should be entitled to fish for food, that is a natural birthright and take precedence over commercial in my view. Maybe I am wrong but my impression is that the NZ fishing industry right from the sealing days in the 1800's has not shown itself to be ecologically sensitive. Its rape and pillage until there is a law against it.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

The administration alone would cost more than the licence fee.  Just pay it out of taxes. 

Increase fisheries surveillance significantly especially at boat ramps.  Strict liability on offences with loss of gear as the only outcome for offending.  Change the quota system to reduce the waste of by-catch.  Mandate cameras and surveillence technology on commercial boats.  No discussion.  Again, strict liablity including on skipper and owner.

If we paid a fee then we can say we are STAKE holders.At the moment we are given a cursory amount even though the Minister must allow for recreational catch. We do not have a birth right to catch fish!!