Stainless exhaust repair

Got to the boat last night for racing and discovered the engine refused to run and we had exhaust fumes in the engine compartment. 

Does anyone knowledgeable have an informed opinion on if this is repairable or if a new one should be fabricated. 

This photo is of the flange which connects to the engine exhaust outlet, so before the water mixer. 

20221006_072715.jpg

Possibly could be repaired if its not cause by internal corrosion i.e there is enough wall thickness.  Looks like its been on its way for a while  so you may need a new section welded in or a replacement, was it loaded in some way?

44 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Possibly could be repaired if its not cause by internal corrosion i.e there is enough wall thickness.  Looks like its been on its way for a while  so you may need a new section welded in or a replacement, was it loaded in some way?

We're pretty sure it was loaded as we were changing throttle and gear cables the day before so one of us could of inadvertently used it as a crutch to turn/twist in the small engine compartment.

But like you say, and I suspect, it was probably already in progress but just had not cracked through until it got loaded... so it's probably better it happened in the marina than out at sea.

56 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Looks vibration induced from start up and shutdown wobbles . How’s your engine mounts ? 

3 years old and still well attached.  The flexible exhaust hose which goes to the water lift is about 30cm long, but it isn't very flexible...

Is that the water mixer spur on the left?  If so, its likely some thermal stress as well.

I had a new one made by a guy in Waiuku - great work, nice bloke, not cheap or expensive.  I'd use him again.  You can courier the old one to him, he uses that as a pattern to buld the new item.

Ryan is contactable if you have something in mind - 027 289 4007

• Upvote 1