Stuff article, abandoned craft

Not the worst article I've ever read in stuff, but rather misses the point that ownership costs (marina, haul out, etc.) have been rising so fast as to render more and more small and old boats "economically unviable".

I tried to make the point to "Finn" on the Classified "beachlegs" so many cheap vessels around and dreamers think yeah I can do it,when in reality they past there use by date or too hard basket and just left to deteriate more.

Under the Auckland harbour master rules,vessel must be in a "sea worthy state"to be on a mooring.I imagine it would be the same for marinas?

Haulout costs skyrocketing and antifoul etc its no wonder they are left abandoned,as the article points out.Oh I sold it Fred,why say yes I own it when you are likely to face a bill for removal when the good ole rate payers will pay.What would happen if the sea worthy rule enforced and moorings etc went from a few hundy pa to 3k

This is where compulsary registration comes in to play.If you havent changed owner details then you are liable.

Sounds like they don't even salvage the hardware. 😪

“We end up with the crap. These boats individually have items that have value whether small bronze winches, bronze portholes and aluminium scrap in the boom, mast and rigging wire. The keel might be lead.

“The issue we face is the time it takes to strip the boat while meeting all the health and safety requirements. It’s far cheaper and safer to have a machine break it into pieces and take it into the tip.”

On 15/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, harrytom said:

Oh I sold it Fred,why say yes I own it when you are likely to face a bill for removal when the good ole rate payers will pay.

If selling an older boat, maybe a good idea to get a signed purchase agreement from the new owner.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

If selling an older boat, maybe a good idea to get a signed purchase agreement from the new owner.

I imagine the issue is more disproving fake sales, rather than proving legitimate ones.

6 hours ago, ex Elly said:

should have a signed agreement regardless,at the moment nothing stopping me saying your vessel is mine. Prove you own it??

19 hours ago, Zozza said:

Couple $0.00 of these boats on T/Me today, one of them a Cav 32 no less:  https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3819869904?bof=HxCIjjuz

A quick look at the advert shows that is not likely to be a Cav 32 but I expect there will be some pop up as abandoned soon, and the H28 too. Is sad to see.