Stowe masthead anemometer

Hello all you tech types... hoping somebody can offer a little advice on the stowe anemometer fitted at the top of our mast.  It appears to be under reading by as much as 1/2 the actual wind speed.   Is this a case of maybe a simple clean of the head unit?.. or something more complex like a bearing about to fail or poor wiring?  Interested to get any ideas... 

Cheers .. Phil 

Thanks Island Time... yep, it'll be coming down.  This weekend's cruise confirmed it's definitely spinning slowly.  Has anybody had experience in cleaning a unit like this?  I'm thinking maybe to use meths as a cleaner, but what would be an appropriate lube? 

I replaced my Autohelm masthead bearings for the same problem. If you need new tiny ceramic bearings, Greg at Gofish in Onewa road has them, apparently they are the same as the bearings in some spinning wheels. --- I ruined my first pair of bearings because I lubricated them, it actually slowed them down.

The bearings can be bought often at a fishing reel repair place. If you can get the cups off, use CRC marine and then put a battery drill on the cup shaft, spin for a min each direction with the drill. The crap often drips out while doing that. Then turn slowly with your fingers, any resistance or roughness = new bearings....