Half price rope sale - Fineline

3 hours ago, Sudden5869 said:

Fineline Advantage Dyneema is great.  I find the limited colour choice, restricts how much I'll use.   

If you ask nicely, they'll make it in just about any colour you want....

1 hour ago, ballystick said:

I have 12 mm mainsheet rope (Farr 38), should I replace it with the Dyneema type or something else?

What's wrong with it?

For our mainsheet, all other sheets, outhaul and reefing lines we just use polyester, negligible cost benefit from a UHMWPE like dyneema on thjose applications for us.

Halyards, code zero tack, runners and bob stay however are a different story.

3 hours ago, ballystick said:

I have just noticed a small fraying cover on the rope which looks to be more significant in the future so I was looking at replacing it before it all goes to custard at just the wrong moment

Can you end for end it ?

tail has probably done no work !

• Like 1

A fray is a time-consuming repair and it is really tough to do on a used/tough rope.  And like you say it will turn into disaster at the worst possible time if you don't repair/replace it. 

$2.30/m for a new 12mm double braid using the link above.  And maybe you could go 10mm?

• Like 1
On 28/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, ballystick said:

I have 12 mm mainsheet rope (Farr 38), should I replace it with the Dyneema type or something else?

Farr 38 mains are big so anything you can do to reduce friction and convert manpower to purchase is good, I would use 8mm Dyneema especially if racing. Its cheaper, runs free and easy to use. The only reason people use ships hawsers for mains is because that's how it was always done and rope wasnt strong. Best upgrade you can do for the main.

• Like 1
On 25/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, ex Elly said:

Cookes have 50% off Fineline ropes. So head out to East Tamaki, or shop online.

Don't head out there - the sale is online orders only.

Just wasted 2.5 hours and far more petrol than I'd like to admit finding that one out.

• Confused 1