Okahu Hard Stand meeting

Theres a bit of history of the hardstand.   Now what was established first.The hardstand or parasite dr??

https://waitematawoodys.com/2019/01/02/orakei-hard-stand/

The probate date is somewhere in the 1920>30’s.
The 2nd photo shows a magnificent collection of rear ends

KEN RICKETTS on January 2, 2019 at 9:51 am said:

Okahu Bay hard stand was not established until c1945-46, & was created from mud pumped from the surrounding seabed. — I recall seeing this in progress c1945-46, & this image, had to have been taken, almost certainly, in the winter of 1947, as the launch with the man alongside her, I do not recall the name of, but she was owned by Mendel Spitz a Newmarket pharmacist, who lived in Ngaiwi St Orakei, & the yacht alongside her, is the MIZPAH by my recall, & was owned by a Tommy?????, a Waterview Pharmacist, — ( must have been a lot of money in Pharmacy in that era).

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Psyche said:

To be fair to the residents of Paritai Dr. no one wants a boatyard next door, and if the opportunity came up to get rid of one I'll bet 99% of non-boaties would vote gone

Well that's why we are meant to have a robust process to prevent someone from moving in next to a regional asset and ruining it for everyone else....

At the rate Auckland is going all we're going to have left is walking around your local neighborhood and wondering where all the young and capable people went.

A momentary thread drift, but Western Springs Speedway, now Okahu Bay haulout. The Fun Police and NIMBYS represented by some who also are on this site, are coming to a street near u.

Its time they were told to f*ck off in tradesmen like language

1 hour ago, Romany said:

A momentary thread drift, but Western Springs Speedway, now Okahu Bay haulout. The Fun Police and NIMBYS represented by some who also are on this site, are coming to a street near u.

Its time they were told to f*ck off in tradesmen like language

The tradesmen are probably too busy parking on the footpath in their Tradiemobiles while they charge exorbitant hourly rates to construct shoddy "lifestyle units" crammed 57 deep onto the 900sqm section next door to you.  Before they head off for a spot of beach terrorism on their jetskis according to information posted a few above this.

Of course, if you point this out you are the fun police and a NIMBY.  Even when its on a street near you.

/rant and threadjack

There appears to be ample public assess open space in the leafy suburbs and a surfeit of harbour lounging space.  There is a shortage of  large craft service space, either commercial or public.  The Okahu decision needs rethinking.

• Upvote 1

There are not that many places in Auckland that can have a boatyard established now so removal is pretty much end of era stuff. Boating has changed, Auckland has changed, the population was a bit north of 300,000 in 1950 and now its 1.7 million. Thats a lot of pressure on public spaces and amenities.

8 hours ago, Psyche said:

Thats a lot of pressure on public spaces and amenities.

Is it though? as someone earlier said, there is a park circa 300m away, which I would describe as underutilized.

Seems there is plenty of public space in the area.

Many many moons ago my father and I lived aboard the Waione B33 Bailey designed old log of wood moored at Okahu Bay.

I used to help a local Maori family who lived at Bastion point remove mussels from the breakwater poles and sack them in an Idle-Along for delivery to a processing plant somewhere in Mission Bay if memory’s are correct.

Another crappy day here on the ranch in Mangawhai here’s some background on Okahu Bay.

Can not get it to link but comes up with a Google.

viewcontent.cgi?article=1195&context=pom
AFB7639A-1A63-49EF-9828-54607AB36B7C.thumb.jpeg.253ccb1ff034cadd4a2ac51856da4f03.jpeg

14 hours ago, Romany said:

A momentary thread drift, but Western Springs Speedway, now Okahu Bay haulout.

There was also the mt wellington go kart track, in an industrial area with no complaints, which had multiple clubs using it. Panuku were hell bent on letting the neighbouring container yard park containers on it. 5 years later and we're still waiting for the new track we were promised over by the airport.

Panuku have also been on a mission slowly eroding all the marine industry at hobsonville and wynyard quarter, "activating" the "waterfront" at westhaven to the detriment of marina users, and seem to be very committed to allowing luxury apartments to be built on the boat ramp and marina car park at Bayswater. Pier21 was sold to a developer who immediately shut down the yard there, and it's only a matter of time before reverse sensitivity and rapidly deteriorating vehicle access force the rest of the big operators there to close via nimbys, impossible resource consent conditions and re-zoning.

Meanwhile, in between planning meetings for apartments on reclaimed land (on which a developer will make millions while the ratepayer and marina trusts are shortchanged), the crosshairs are squarely set on little shoal bay, under the guise of climate change adaptation.... apparently we can build apartments at sea level, but need to rethink hardstands and boat facilities in the face of sea level rise....

I'm pretty frustrated with this, as you might be able to tell.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Psyche said:

I hear ya, we've been seeing it happen for years. It seems that the powers that be think that yachties  cruise around in boats like this

Oyster-885-90-Foot-Sailing-Yacht-Exterio

when the reality is that most us are closer to:

4NHX1L8_image_crop_73118

Ironic that people with boats like the top one but bigger buy hardstands and close them .  

Waikeraka park 10.30pm curfew   Western springs limited meetings   .What I want to know is when is that dam zoo going to close??You know lions might roar at 10.00pm.

Bugger me all this was there before houses and those that were there went to these places.Now the people see the value of them and move in and want things gone.

St Marys bay prime example,nothing there except bailys shed ,marine shop and a fuel jetty,occasionlly one of Drommies ferries might of been on the slip. pre 1985.

Out way by the Karaka horse sale yards they have built a bloody "Hilton hotel" bugger me its Papakura. Then they developing the island. Still got to drive through the crap and southern motorway.More money than sense

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/130106399/no-nudity-no-laundry-on-show-at-gated-island-community-in-manukau-harbour

The worlds gone mad.

11 minutes ago, harrytom said:

What I want to know is when is that dam zoo going to close??You know lions might roar at 10.00pm.

They do. We could hear them at night when we lived in Morningside.  In fact we were next door to Eden Park. Couldn't understand people complaining about the park as it was there when we bought the house. Not like it snuck up on us. We would put cars in our back yard at $5 each then when the game started go into town for dinner. Back then was the only time we could afford to eat out.

• Upvote 1

Warning: Rambling whinge-fest below - some will find some nuggets of truth, some will find areas of vehement disagreement with what I say, some will shout from the rooftops saying "Yes Yes Yes Zozza you nailed it" others will say "Zozza what a whole loada cr@p mate" - it;s all good.  I played Rugby League against 17 stone teengage monsters from Mangere when I was a young man, so I am used to the hard knocks physically and a few words are water off a ducks back metaphorically, so if you want to give it badk to me- have at bro, because I am about to say a few things that need to be said:

Here goes:
Isn't all this closing of hard stands, apartments being built on marinas, only big rich super yacht owners being catered to, the overall eroding of facilities available to the common sailor man....isn't this what the NZ Marine industry and by proxy - all of us - wanted if not directly, but all this 'progress' in the Marine industry, made this the reality? 

All the talk in the early days of our Americas Cup wins as far as the NZ Marine Industry goes, is how rich Boatbuilders were going to get, not only from AC syndicates, but attracting the Big Superyacht Billionaires etc etc

Here is my question to NZ Boatbuilders - is this what you got into Boatbuilding for? To get as rich as possible from the super rich clients and their super yachts?  As that all its about? To make as much money as possible to buy that Herne Bay villa, or that stake in a Waiheke WInery....?
How about serving the common man, having a great camaraderie with your customers because you were often out there sailing along side them in the weekend, taking an interest in their small yachts (small to me is up to 35 foot) - sure, not getting super rich, but making a good living that you have a nice suburban house with a caring wife, and 3 or 4 little ankle biters......

Is it all Muldoons fault? Really? That was in 1975 and he still gets blamed almost 50 years later for destroying the small boat building business's in NZ.   Surely what Muldoon did is not relevant today.  Surely you can make a good living if not making small yachts for the common man, then repairing and refitting them?  Do you really just want to show interest in repairing and refitting super yachts so you can "get rich quick".

And now, with Dalton giving the two fingers to the NZ Marine industry - its all gone pear shaped.  You Boatbuilders, the Councils, the whole hoopla around the AC....it's all gone to sh*t.  Councils now closing down hardstands, developers turning Pier 21 into something other than a place to serve the common yachties needs......the whole set up these days seems to be making it as hard as possible to own, sail, repair/refit the common man and his yacht.

You know that old Chinese proverb: "Be careful what you wish for" --- 

So lets face it, the affordability of owning a nice little keeler, and being able to put it somewhere to work on either DIY or get the work done professional at a yard that is actually interested in working on it - is fast becoming near impossible - at least in Auckland.

WE all got what WE wished for.....and now all we can do is whinge about it.
So that's my whinge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zoz, you make some good points but the biggest change is demographics and economics.

The big flush in yachting coincided with the boomers being young men  i.e the 70's 80's and maybe a bit into the 90's before 2007 killed the last of it off. This is worldwide btw, and as that demographic moved through life like a piglet in a python dominating schools, sports, politics and now rest homes, they left behind yachting look at your local yacht club(and RSA's, Rugby Clubs  etc etc), almost without exception they are full of elderly grey haired gents who used to be the young guys in the 70's. 

This change has occurred across society, previously people who made decisions had far stronger connections to yachting either directly or indirectly so there was some understanding of our needs reflected in politics. If you get a local board  or council member who's never been on an average yacht or who thinks the AC is yachting and boats are for piss up cruises on the harbour, are they going to make policy in favour of a handful of privileged yachties or the general public when given a choice?

My question is who and where are our advocates when these policy decisions are being made? The recent data I posted shows yachties with boats over 6m are a tiny demographic so we need vocal on the ball representation to a make a difference because its a death by a thousand cuts.

The boatbuilding industry has catered to upper end of the market because that's where the money is. BTW I was reading recently that the buying power in the early 1970s for someone on the average wage would translate to after tax of $3100 per week in 2022. So not only has demographics slowly let the air out of yachting, the widening income disparity also means the top end is flush with buying power (as we see in the marinas) but the average and bottom is confined to the secondhand and DIY market. Finally people's expectations change, whereas once upon a time loading the family into your Raven for 2 weeks at Christmas wasn't unusual, these days people expect a lot more.

• Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Zoz, you make some good points but the biggest change is demographics and economics.

The big flush in yachting coincided with the boomers being young men  i.e the 70's 80's and maybe a bit into the 90's before 2007 killed the last of it off. This is worldwide btw, and as that demographic moved through life like a piglet in a python dominating schools, sports, politics and now rest homes, they left behind yachting look at your local yacht club(and RSA's, Rugby Clubs  etc etc), almost without exception they are full of elderly grey haired gents who used to be the young guys in the 70's. 

This change has occurred across society, previously people who made decisions had far stronger connections to yachting either directly or indirectly so there was some understanding of our needs reflected in politics. If you get a local board  or council member who's never been on an average yacht or who thinks the AC is yachting and boats are for piss up cruises on the harbour, are they going to make policy in favour of a handful of privileged yachties or the general public when given a choice?

My question is who and where are our advocates when these policy decisions are being made? The recent data I posted shows yachties with boats over 6m are a tiny demographic so we need vocal on the ball representation to a make a difference because its a death by a thousand cuts.

The boatbuilding industry has catered to upper end of the market because that's where the money is. BTW I was reading recently that the buying power in the early 1970s for someone on the average wage would translate to after tax of $3100 per week in 2022. So not only has demographics slowly let the air out of yachting, the widening income disparity also means the top end is flush with buying power (as we see in the marinas) but the average and bottom is confined to the secondhand and DIY market. Finally people's expectations change, whereas once upon a time loading the family into your Raven for 2 weeks at Christmas wasn't unusual, these days people expect a lot more.

Good stuff Psyche....I know guys like BP have paid their dues with the small boats over the years so what I am about to say has no relevance to the likes of him....but what the hell is wrong with people that they can't put up with a bit of discomfort (which the joys far outweigh) putting a Hub, Wifey, and three kiddies in a Raven 26 for 2 or 3 weeks over Xmas?  Do you really need the 45 footer you use twice per year, then take up space in a Marina in an expensive berth..... something is seriously f__cked with the (no pun intended) 'psyche' of modern people.   In my experience, without a bit of 'suffering' (if you call squeezing your fam into the aforementioned Raven 26 over summer 'suffering') then nothing in life, let alone sailing, will be worth it or retain your interest. 

My old mum reckons that the world is gone soft, trying living through the 2nd WW soon after the depression - all we can do these days is get enraged over pro-nouns  -- gee life must be tough if we can spend time arguing about that rubbish (not that I want to turn this political, but you get my drift).

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Psyche said:

My question is who and where are our advocates when these policy decisions are being made?

I think maybe that the people who have the sway in Auckland are wealthy enough that these issues don’t affect their yachting ?  I suspect that people who could sway the swayers or make a noise about the lack of swaying make and supply stuff for the swayers boats or sail with them .  The pointy end of the Auckland fleet is full of captains of industry who as a collective could hold a lot of sway …if they wanted to 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Zozza said:

Good stuff Psyche....I know guys like BP have paid their dues with the small boats over the years so what I am about to say has no relevance to the likes of him....but what the hell is wrong with people that they can't put up with a bit of discomfort (which the joys far outweigh) putting a Hub, Wifey, and three kiddies in a Raven 26 for 2 or 3 weeks over Xmas?  Do you really need the 45 footer you use twice per year, then take up space in a Marina in an expensive berth..... something is seriously f__cked with the (no pun intended) 'psyche' of modern people.   In my experience, without a bit of 'suffering' (if you call squeezing your fam into the aforementioned Raven 26 over summer 'suffering') then nothing in life, let alone sailing, will be worth it or retain your interest. 

My old mum reckons that the world is gone soft, trying living through the 2nd WW soon after the depression - all we can do these days is get enraged over pro-nouns  -- gee life must be tough if we can spend time arguing about that rubbish (not that I want to turn this political, but you get my drift).

All you need to do is look at T/M with silly questions for a raven 26 or simular. Does it have a shower/hot n cold water etc. Think these are the ones who really want a caravan but dont want to use caravan parks;-)

My 26ft had a shower.Solar shower in the cockpit,hot water ,if you boiled the jug

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, harrytom said:

All you need to do is look at T/M with silly questions for a raven 26 or simular. Does it have a shower/hot n cold water etc. Think these are the ones who really want a caravan but dont want to use caravan parks;-)

My 26ft had a shower.Solar shower in the cockpit,hot water ,if you boiled the jug

SO has a bath!

Its about 4,000 sq km.

Fishing restrictions and new protection areas for Hauraki ...

• Upvote 1

The other thing we have to realise is that there are a lot of people out there who are pretty uneducated regarding yachts, the silly TM questions are really saying that people are trying to get into keelers with no background at all possibly indicating yachting knowledge is retreating. I think of yachting as a sport, others as access to the great outdoors but regardless of that, success in the terms we are discussing, i.e affordable facilities, is predicated on demand. We are aging as a nation, how that plays out in yachting world is a bit difficult to say.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300730132/welcome-to-the-hyperageing-nation-that-is-new-zealand

image.png.27d245ce388a38b2982deae75adbabc0.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1