Okahu Hard Stand meeting

4 hours ago, Adrianp said:

So no decisions made but hopefully the AYBA have scared the board enough to trigger a proper round of consultation and the yard can be saved through that. 

I dunno, but from the questions asked and the discussion on the actions it seemed the Chair had no interest in reviewing the decision and seems to think they shouldn't be responsible for "providing a haulout service". By the end of that it seemed they dropped the note to look into any legal exposure and nothing confirmed they would postpone closure from the current date.

Also very illuminating to see the two groups who want the hardstand gone, and it explains the loss/relocation of dinghy racks too. They just want their own dedicated space to run their organization and to hell with the consequences.

Very frustrating to have them spouting provable falsehoods and misrepresentations too. Some very careful choices in words and anecdotes from both of them. The reality is that the Landing is not a "commercial operator", it's a facility owned by council and the operations are contracted out. It returns revenue to council (despite the implications that it was freeloading), and if there are any environmental malmanagement issues then those are the responsibility of the bloody council to manage their facility!

...proof of anti-fouling

in last 6 months

if heading north?  WTF?

I just got hauled, washed, and returned - a bit of slime, a handful of tiny barnacles easily removed, the anti-foul holding up extremely well in the year since I antifouled boat a year ago...as it should I put four coats of the stuff on.  I kept the haul out receipt of course.  If that is not good enough for any Northland Nazi Council guys who want to approach me while I am anchored somewhere minding my own business up north this summer, then they can get stuffed.  

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 6.24.35 AM.png

1 hour ago, Zozza said:

...proof of anti-fouling [in the last 6 months] 

if heading north?  WTF?

There's a bit of scaremongering in that poster.

I went through all this a few years ago and with bay week coming up it was time for a refresher...

The different requirements are confusing... 

Northland marinas require:

• antifoul within 6 months per manufacturer specifications with appropriate evidence; or
  • A lift and water pressure clean within 1 month: or 
  • An anti-fouling declaration from NRC

NRC will issue you a declaration if:

• The vessel has been antifouled within 12 months (with receipts/evidence); and 
  • You declare in writing that the hull has been throughly cleaned within the last 2 weeks, (could be a commercial diver, or diy diver) 

The actual law is:

• The owner or person in charge of a craft entering Northland must ensure that the fouling on the hull and niche areas of the craft does not exceed ‘light fouling’.

So assuming you don't exceed light fouling between now and your arrival, your water pressure clean ticks all the boxes... 

We always use a diver. Our anti-foul will be 11 months old. So I have booked the floating dock the week before bay week, because it is a lot simpler than applying to NRC for an declaration. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, harrytom said:

seems to becoming to an end dive for hull cleans in marinas? does that mean need to take diver out for the day ?

I have not heard that?

There are some marinas that will not allow in water cleaning, but those rules were in place since the marina was established. Eg, Pine Harbour and non-private berths at Gulf Harbour.

54 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I have not heard that?

There are some marinas that will not allow in water cleaning, but those rules were in place since the marina was established. Eg, Pine Harbour and non-private berths at Gulf Harbour.

Vessel hull cleaning Not permitted in the Marina, except by a registered diver who is only permitted to remove a thin layer of slime

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/media/hwmb2f0j/westhaven-a-z-2021-pages.pdf

Guessing thats means no removing fanworm/barnicles etc

29 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Vessel hull cleaning Not permitted in the Marina, except by a registered diver who is only permitted to remove a thin layer of slime

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/media/hwmb2f0j/westhaven-a-z-2021-pages.pdf

Guessing thats means no removing fanworm/barnicles etc

Oh absolutely.

If your boat is being cleaned in the water in Auckland, and you find a "marine pest", you must cease cleaning, notify council, put in place a plan etc etc....

I was given this phamlet a few years ago by a Volunteer while heading out for the weekend. 

biofouling-and-invasive-marine-pest-species.pdf

It has places you can clean and can't clean. The rules are really straight forward, I personally don't find anything onerous in them.

I wasn't aware Westhaven had restricted cleaning to registered divers.  I see so many boat owners DIYing it.. 

We use Salt Works Limited. And lots of other boats do as well. 

• Upvote 1

Back to okahu bay. Does anyone else suspect this decision was made a long time ago and all this ' consultation ' is just theatre?

I imagine this conversation:

So we can get rid of the boatyard because $$$$$$

Yeah but what about all those muppets using the facility?

Easy we'll call for submissions and have a couple of meetings,  that'll distract them and by the time they figure it out we'll be building apartments. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Back to okahu bay. Does anyone else suspect this decision was made a long time ago and all this ' consultation ' is just theatre?

I imagine this conversation:

So we can get rid of the boatyard because $$$$$$

Yeah but what about all those muppets using the facility?

Easy we'll call for submissions and have a couple of meetings,  that'll distract them and by the time they figure it out we'll be building apartments. 

Dont think Apartments are on the Agenda - from memory the other option besides keeping it as a hardstand was to convert it to a reserve /park

12 minutes ago, harrytom said:

It will only be a mater of time before club haul outs are gone due to compliance costs. Devonport/pybc/northcote point/Bucks etc

Deeply embarrassing for the so called 'City of Sails'

• Upvote 1

This is a slow burn, Its not at critical level yet but a lot of boats particularly on marina dont need to get hauled every season. That translates into a lot of owners getting to anti-foul time and then becoming aware of the shortfall in available haulout space. The effects of the landing closure wont be fully realised for a season or two. My previous point about Orams is that they are mainly setup for larger vessels, sure they can haul small boats but it's going to cost. 

It does seem that council along with various entities are wilfully ignoring the needs of the bulk of the yachting community i.e those who cant just chuck the keys and chequebook to their man to get the work done.  The gradual reduction in moorings, removal of cleaning poles, closure of hardstands etc, one would question whether the council is just handing off responsibility and giving the private monopolisation of marinas and associated facilities a helping hand. I support various sports getting public support in the form of fields, pools, stadia or whatever but all yachties are asking for is not closing existing public facilities. 

Where are the keelboat clubs in all this, anyone seen anything in the newsletters?

• Upvote 1