Okahu Hard Stand meeting

As a fall-back plan for Multi owners, has anyone (Multi-hull Club?) considered brokering/facillitating Orams or one of the other haulout yards purchasing the Roodberg boat lift equipment so that there is a possibility of retaining an economical multi haulout facility somewhere in Auckland?  All they'd need in addition is a reinforce concrete ramp which could surely be installed somewhere at one of the current marinas/haulout facilities and could be quite lucrative given the potential size of the multi market and the fact that it would be a monopoly in the Auckland region.

2 hours ago, GCL said:

All they'd need ... is a reinforce concrete ramp ......

I can't think of any yards in the greater auckland area that you can get to mast up that have a ramp that would suit the trailer and wide multis, and the costs of building one would be significant (even ignoring the consenting requirements)

3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Orams has just spent $140 million, and is now set for the next 100 years, according to this video:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/140m-orams-marine-expansion-explained/JXHOACX4WGDSC4EMDYGM4QPRXA/

Orams is dreaming if they think they are going to be immune to reverse sensitivity in there with all the new high density housing going in. Give it 10-20 years and they'll all be getting shut down under onerous requirements being imposed on them.

Pier21 was just a soft target that the developers have already picked off.

Next meeting this Thursday - 8th December 3pm at St Chads Church. Supporters required!

The Auckland Yachting and Boating Association are speaking at the Public Forum during the next Ōrākei Local Board meeting this Thursday 8th December 3pm at St Chads Church, 38 St Johns Road, Meadowbank. If you could spare half an hour to attend and show your support, it would be appreciated.

They will speak just before Troy Churton and David Wongs’ notice of motion.

The motion being put forward is that the Ōrākei Local Board:

a) note the important role the Blue Flag accredited Hardstand at The Landing has in protecting the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf in providing marine and environmental services as required by legislation, the NZ Coastal Policy Statement and the Council’s Maritime Bylaws supported by the Council’s Environmental Officers, and accordingly consider adding the Hardstand as an important design element in future planning of The Landing.

b) request the Governing Body to review the entire Landing site for its value as a community and environmental/marine servicing asset and the process for assessing the value of the Hardstand.

This may be the last time we can talk to the Ōrākei Local Board before the Hardstand is turned over to boat storage for RAYC.

• Upvote 1

I personally would say forgone conclusion that it will close. Just going through formal motions of appeals.Bit like the ramp/apartments at Bayswater. Bayswater has been before the appeals board,now been modified with no further discussion for the public.

So is the long term vision to just have the Viaduct Marina remain for a few glamour boats and to keep a "City of Sails" facade? I find it staggering that a yacht club would support closing the stand when options are diminishing across the city.

Out of interest I had a look at the Viaduct marina website and noticed there were no fees displayed. Guess it's a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" scenario?

*edit* cancel that, found them. The "can't afford it" part was correct.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
On 28/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, motorb said:

Orams is dreaming if they think they are going to be immune to reverse sensitivity in there with all the new high density housing going in. Give it 10-20 years and they'll all be getting shut down under onerous requirements being imposed on them.

Pier21 was just a soft target that the developers have already picked off.

The owners put Pier 21 on the market & sold it. Not sure how that becomes "a soft target that the developers have already picked off."

My grapevine tells me one of the larger concerns at Orakei could be around the current operator's ability/willingness or unwillingness to clean up its act around discharges/oil etc entering the basin, a concern with the youth sailing seemingly based there.

So reading between the lines the yacht club etc is  needing seek a change in order to protect the environment. If right there sounds like some reassurances and improvements from the current operator. could assist.  

Dangerous things grapevines. I'd be careful about potential for a bitter crop!

STF may not be responsible for the infrastructure ( I think earlier STF post said they provide plant and labour - which i guess is tractors n stuff and people, not retention/detention tanks)  but subject to criticism when it is inadequate for the job required.

The classic hospital pass.

My understanding is that STF etc are NOT responsible for this, and due to the lack of secure future at this site, no-one has been prepared to invest in any infrastructure on the site. IMO this is the councils issue, and from this no properly run company would put money in, unless a future was assured. Looks like STF's decisions are about to be proven correct!

• Upvote 1

Agreed IT. My point was more about repeating whispers heard on grapevine.

Having said that, it would be niave to think operator gets it 100% all the time (although thats not out of the question), but certainly if the facility is not up to the task they have a much more difficult situation.

I think all thaf stuff about operator errors is utter bollocks anyway and has not contributed to this. RAYC are amongst the major villans here and should be taken to task for their attitude.

At least, they should front up and put up the facts leading to their stance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rayc promoted the removal of the moorings from Okahu Bay, I have the minutes , now they are promoting removing the hardstand , you can see from that what has happened to a once proud club, the instigator of offshore racing in NZ, the instigator of ladies racing, winter series etc etc. No more . And it was always Akarana , The Squadron and Victoria that ran M class races never Auckland sailing club, though a couple may have entered the Cock of the Harbour race on occasion.