Okahu Hard Stand meeting

On 6/12/2022 at 10:51 AM, ex Elly said:

Next meeting this Thursday - 8th December 3pm at St Chads Church. Supporters required!

The Auckland Yachting and Boating Association are speaking at the Public Forum during the next Ōrākei Local Board meeting this Thursday 8th December 3pm at St Chads Church, 38 St Johns Road, Meadowbank. If you could spare half an hour to attend and show your support, it would be appreciated.

They will speak just before Troy Churton and David Wongs’ notice of motion.

The motion being put forward is that the Ōrākei Local Board:

a) note the important role the Blue Flag accredited Hardstand at The Landing has in protecting the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf in providing marine and environmental services as required by legislation, the NZ Coastal Policy Statement and the Council’s Maritime Bylaws supported by the Council’s Environmental Officers, and accordingly consider adding the Hardstand as an important design element in future planning of The Landing.

b) request the Governing Body to review the entire Landing site for its value as a community and environmental/marine servicing asset and the process for assessing the value of the Hardstand.

This may be the last time we can talk to the Ōrākei Local Board before the Hardstand is turned over to boat storage for RAYC.

Did they vote on this?  Or what was/is the outcome? 

I was unable to attend but am told that in the second meeting the chair was difficult in regards to letting the pro Landing people attending from speaking or making their points and the vote was held 5-2 to close the Landing.

It was explained to me as a 'railroading'

Its now a done deal

56 minutes ago, Ex Veladare said:

I was unable to attend but am told that in the second meeting the chair was difficult in regards to letting the pro Landing people attending from speaking or making their points and the vote was held 5-2 to close the Landing.

Its now a done deal

SURPRISE!!!

1 hour ago, Ex Veladare said:

Its now a done deal

Thanks.  Hopefully Auckland Yachting and Boating Association are in a position to take it through the courts.

Please share with crew.org if they have a way that we can assist financially to the cause if they plan to proceed with a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 14/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, harrytom said:

Was all layed out in 2013 now they have gone with option 3 closure just went through the motions to get the results 

Where was it layed out (eg publically notified) in 2013? 

In 2013 they weren't talking about closing the boat yard it was proposed to keep it and add a travelift.

From the 2013 concept plan:

"Haul-out and hardstand In 2013 the Orākei Local Board assessed and confirmed the on-going need for The Landing haul-out operation and associated hardstand use. The haul-out facility for boat maintenance has been a principal characteristic of The Landing for several decades. The Landing haul-out operation is available to all members of the public. The Landing haul-out operation and associated hardstand use is supported because it: • meets the demand for haul-out and maintenance services for the existing and growing boat market • services the small boat owners mooring boats in the inner Waitematā Harbour • services the multi-hull boat market for haul-out, wash-down and maintenance services • supports the services of the harbourmaster and provides emergency haul-out operations. The concept plan proposes that the infrastructure is installed to support a Travelift® operation, which will refocus the hardstand on short-term maintenance as a priority and will dramatically enhance The Landing’s value proposition".

The concept 1 to 3 plans you referred to are dated Feb 2022. Therefore closure was not layed out as an option in 2013. It is somewhat more recent.

41 minutes ago, GregW said:

In 2013 they weren't talking about closing the boat yard it was proposed to keep it and add a travelift.

From the 2013 concept plan:

"Haul-out and hardstand In 2013 the Orākei Local Board assessed and confirmed the on-going need for The Landing haul-out operation and associated hardstand use. The haul-out facility for boat maintenance has been a principal characteristic of The Landing for several decades. The Landing haul-out operation is available to all members of the public. The Landing haul-out operation and associated hardstand use is supported because it: • meets the demand for haul-out and maintenance services for the existing and growing boat market • services the small boat owners mooring boats in the inner Waitematā Harbour • services the multi-hull boat market for haul-out, wash-down and maintenance services • supports the services of the harbourmaster and provides emergency haul-out operations. The concept plan proposes that the infrastructure is installed to support a Travelift® operation, which will refocus the hardstand on short-term maintenance as a priority and will dramatically enhance The Landing’s value proposition".

The concept 1 to 3 plans you referred to are dated Feb 2022. Therefore closure was not layed out as an option in 2013. It is somewhat more recent.

obviously you didnt click the link. try concept 3 and theres a map,no hardstand no nothing.

What we are proposing

Growing demand from a range of users is putting pressure on The Landing.

We are refreshing the 2013 Landing concept plan (Pathways to the Sea) to make it more accessible and welcoming to a wider range of users.

We aim to cater for those seeking water-based recreation on the harbour, as well as those who prefer to enjoy Tāmaki Drive waterfront from the land.

Concept 1: 2013 concept plan with minor changes

Concept 2: Rationalisation

Concept 3: Transformation

5 minutes ago, harrytom said:

obviously you didnt click the link. try concept 3 and theres a map,no hardstand no nothing.

What we are proposing

Growing demand from a range of users is putting pressure on The Landing.

We are refreshing the 2013 Landing concept plan (Pathways to the Sea) to make it more accessible and welcoming to a wider range of users.

We aim to cater for those seeking water-based recreation on the harbour, as well as those who prefer to enjoy Tāmaki Drive waterfront from the land.

Concept 1: 2013 concept plan with minor changes

Concept 2: Rationalisation

Concept 3: Transformation

The 2013 concept plan, did not include an option for closing the hard stand.

Concept 1, 2 and 3 were announced in 2022 and were "updates" to the 2013 plan.

So Concept 3, closing the hardstand, was announced in early 2022, (or maybe late 2021).

No matter which you look at it. It was going to close. As I mentioned earlier just going through the montions."see we did consult with the public" 

But everyone sat on hands till final minute.Tough you get what you desrerve closure.

It is exactly the same as when the mooring debacle went on,moving from Okahu bay to Hobson. A few complained but no one said repair the break water .There lies the problem breakwater goes the mussels went and insurance companies saying rates going up if moor there. If the breakwater was repaired and eaterlies waves would of been reduced and possably yachts saved,but no,All sit their hands till it happens.

By now you must realise the of boat ownership is viewed as a privilege and boaties must pay not the rate payer.

10 hours ago, harrytom said:

It is exactly the same as when the mooring debacle went on,moving from Okahu bay to Hobson. A few complained but no one said repair the break water .There lies the problem breakwater goes the mussels went and insurance companies saying rates going up if moor there. If the breakwater was repaired and eaterlies waves would of been reduced and possably yachts saved,but no,All sit their hands till it happens.

By now you must realise the of boat ownership is viewed as a privilege and boaties must pay not the rate payer.

"By now you must realise the of boat ownership is viewed as a privilege and boaties must pay not the rate payer" Hmmmm........ they don't seem to apply this rule to the golf courses.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Frank said:

"By now you must realise the of boat ownership is viewed as a privilege and boaties must pay not the rate payer" Hmmmm........ they don't seem to apply this rule to the golf courses.

Golf courses bring several positive social impacts including large areas of green space.  They also generally provide access for casual/non-member players  Same argument for team sport facilities eg rugby / soccer fields.  Cost of entry is comparitively low

Marinas almost be definition detract from the environment and hte cost of entry (go buy a sizable boat) is comparatively high.  Useful, convenient for the user, and valuable, but still not obviously a public amenity.  Before I owned a yacht I no more thought of marinas as a public benefit than I thought of banks as socially responsible providers of affordable credit products.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Golf courses bring several positive social impacts including large areas of green space.  They also generally provide access for casual/non-member players  Same argument for team sport facilities eg rugby / soccer fields.  Cost of entry is comparitively low

Marinas almost be definition detract from the environment and hte cost of entry (go buy a sizable boat) is comparatively high.  Useful, convenient for the user, and valuable, but still not obviously a public amenity.  Before I owned a yacht I no more thought of marinas as a public benefit than I thought of banks as socially responsible providers of affordable credit products.

Yeah I’ve yet to see a golf course with a big galvanised gate and a keypad .

9 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Yeah I’ve yet to see a golf course with a big galvanised gate and a keypad .

I'm tempted to demure but it would be a long debate with no winners and this is a yachting forum, I have no gripe with golf as a game, I cant hit the ball to save my life so never played. ;-) 

• Upvote 1

It's not over yet,  the AYBA (Auckland Yacht and Boating Association) has joined the fight along with the support of the AMUA (Auckland Marina users Association inc.). 

The first is to appeal Bayswater as by doing so this will also help the case for The Landing and other sites.

So please consider making a donation here and perhaps add "crew.org" after your first name.

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/bayswater-marina-needs-to-remain-a-marine-precinct

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, otto said:

It's not over yet,  the AYBA (Auckland Yacht and Boating Association) has joined the fight along with the support of the AMUA (Auckland Marina users Association inc.). 

The first is to appeal Bayswater as by doing so this will also help the case for The Landing and other sites.

So please consider making a donation here and perhaps add "crew.org" after your first name.

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/bayswater-marina-needs-to-remain-a-marine-precinct

Why werent they there at the start?? Oh sh*t this might effect us or we might loose members.Yeah right 

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Why werent they there at the start?? Oh sh*t this might effect us or we might loose members.Yeah right 

They were, if they were not they couldn't appeal.  Perhaps more should offer to help the few that are fighting for us all.

• Upvote 2