Okahu Hard Stand meeting

2 minutes ago, otto said:

They were, if they were not they couldn't appeal.  Perhaps more should offer to help the few that are fighting for us all.

Why not petition the council along the lines of sports fields are upgraded etc for free ramps are our sports field. Once again wake up and realise we are a minority sport and viewed as elite.

Good on you for trying but I will not be financially supporting already paying to use AK ramps etc

1 minute ago, harrytom said:

Why not petition the council along the lines of sports fields are upgraded etc for free ramps are our sports field. Once again wake up and realise we are a minority sport and viewed as elite.

Good on you for trying but I will not be financially supporting already paying to use AK ramps etc

They have written to most councilors (and a couple are on our side) along with MP's etc.  And yes i pay to but i would like them to remain.

Hardstand Status Update
Unfortunately, the Orakei Local Board are still committed to closing the Hardstand as of the 28th of February, despite:
• Having no funding, either within their own budget or Councils LTP (10-year plan) to implement the “park” that they consulted on and gave the impression they would be implementing.
• Two public meeting facilitated by the good people at the Auckland Yachting and Boating Association to try and convince the OLB to delay or review their decision (both meetings were attended by literally hundreds of boats and users).
• A presentation from Auckland Councils Biosecurity team that recommended that the Hardstand stay open.
• Receiving multiple letters, complaints and requests for The Landing to remain open from boating associations clubs and user groups (Auckland Yachting and Boating Association, Yachting New Zealand, Orakei Marina, Marina Operators Association, NZ Marine Industry Association, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Ponsonby Cruising Club, Kennedy Point Marina, Bayswater Marina users, Westhaven Marina users , New Zealand Multihull Association and the myriad of other boat clubs and associations).
• Any immediate use for the Hardstand space.
One must wonder what some of the boards’ agendas or reasons are?
All is not lost though, due to several generous donations and a considerable amount of voluntary time being committed by a very dedicated group spearheaded via the Auckland Yachting and Boating Association, moves are afoot to mount a legally based defence and implement a full investigation into the decision making process that has allowed such a small group of people the ability to rob the greater Auckland region of a considerable regional asset.

How can you help?
Please donate to the good people at the Auckland Yachting and Boating Associations Give a Little page: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/supportthelandinghardstand, even the smallest donation will make a difference.
  • Upvote 3
21 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Are the funds to be combined and used for both?  Or are they to be kept separate?

Not sure, but the same groups are involved in both. So maybe if there is any left over from Bayswater, it will be used for Okahu.

On 15/02/2023 at 2:47 PM, ex Elly said:

Not sure, but the same groups are involved in both. So maybe if there is any left over from Bayswater, it will be used for Okahu.

You are correct Elly

Both these cases are part of the AYBA & AMUA drive for a Strategic Plan of all our Coastal Resourses - Launching ramps, haul-outs, public access, club facilities, fore shore reserves, etc. Future Proofing the ongoing access to our harbours and Gulf for all Aucklanders to be able to enjoy the Coastal and Marine environment in perpetuity!  They have filed an appeal against the development at Bayswater and costs are already rising.  The Landing has also employed legal counsel.  Bayswater (followed closely by The Landing) are the first two.  The case against Bayswater is also relevant to The Landing and others in Auckland to be improved not removed.

I just hope more will support one or both so they can continue.

Thanks to those of you who have donated.

While support from the boating fraternity is poor in numbers others are still fighting.

For those interested here's where they presented to ACC,  watch from around 18.25 

• Like 1

Their presentation to the Councils was perfect. They presented a good case and really brought home the issue with the later presentation from the Howick local board chair saying they are worried about pest transition to the Tamaki river due to more boats coming down there. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 8/03/2023 at 1:48 PM, Adrianp said:

Their presentation to the Councils was perfect. They presented a good case and really brought home the issue with the later presentation from the Howick local board chair saying they are worried about pest transition to the Tamaki river due to more boats coming down there. 

The river is already infested with fan worm and other things,

Crikey one would think Liz could wash her 10ft trimaran at home rather than pay $1500 for a crane.

What a potpourri of territorial local authorities and private vested interest ship yard rats have crawled out of their nests to once again rob Auckland boaties of necessary access to reasonably priced hardstand facilities.

If you are a members of the Akarana you should hang your heads in collective shame.

A plague on all their houses I say.

• Downvote 1

Just. read it.  Disgusting rich pr*cks at Akarana huh.  That's the feeling I got from that article.  I'm sure there are "two sides" but don't think I will be joining Captain Piddlemarks at the Akarana Christmas Dinner this year old chaps.

1 hour ago, Psyche said:

I used to haul Sundreamer at Okahu Bay. The first few years when NZ Cranes were at Westhaven it would cost about $800 out and in. However when they moved to Onehunga it went up to over $3000. 

After I used Robertson's in Warkworth which was a pain with the travel but perfectly useable. There are probably facilities at Clevedon and other areas outside the city centre which I suspect is a big part of the angst. Aucklanders want to slot their maintenance in between the gym and their latte. That and being able to take 3 months to do a weekends work. But you know....gym and lattes...

My last Sundreamer haul out was on the slipway at Orams which wasn't that expensive if you organise with them to get out and back in between major jobs. 

DF4C916F-C1F4-4832-AEDF-912BE356E86A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

Crikey one would think Liz could wash her 10ft trimaran at home rather than pay $1500 for a crane.

No. Timberwolf is a Cochrane 30, so approx 30ft long and 20ft wide.

Little Shoal Bay is under threat. Options for multihulls are becoming very limited.

5 hours ago, Psyche said:

So the truth comes out - it is all a dastardly plan by the commercial boatyard owner to kill off more affordable competition:

The Royal Akarana Yacht Club is bankrolled by the Akarana Marine Sports Charitable Trust and Hyundai New Zealand, which are both headed by Howard Spencer - a keen boatie from one of Auckland’s richest families, whose own yacht is named ‘The Menace’.
Leading up to the vote on closing the public boatyard, the local board heard from the operations manager of Tamaki Marine Park in Mt Wellington who said any vessels affected by the Okahu Bay closure could be redirected to his facility. The marine park is owned by Tasman Holdings, which is directed by Howard Spencer.

Crikey crew lighten up I was just being sardonic after reading yet another finely crafted piece of local journalism...

Liz Alonzi doesn’t want to sell her 10-foot trimaran, but may have no choice. With the closure of the Okahu Bay Hardstand in Ōrākei, the next-closest location she can service her vessel is in Whangārei.

“It’s either that or pay $1500 an hour to hire a crane, which I can’t do,” she said, explaining that other Auckland marinas were not equipped for trimarans.

• Haha 1