Okahu Hard Stand meeting

5 minutes ago, Ed said:

A big part of the issue was the local board was responsible for setting the haul out rates, but hadnt updated them for years, hence the yard was very cheap to use, but struggled to cover its costs.

Nobody is objecting to a price hike to bring it in line with other commerical operations

In line? But part of the argument is providing an affordable service to yachties, otherwise Orams etc will do just fine. 

12 minutes ago, Psyche said:

In line? But part of the argument is providing an affordable service to yachties, otherwise Orams etc will do just fine. 

Theres boats that orams won't lift due to multis being wierd sizes, i.e. too wide for the smaller travel lift, and not feasiable for the big lift.

There is also the wider local auckland boat servcing capacity that has been significantly downgraded in the last year or so with P21 gone, LSB basicaly gone and now the landing closed.

I don't mind paying to haul out, I just want to be able to !

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Psyche said:

Perhaps MPI needs to get involved:

About 7 or 8yrs ago,Legasea held a fishing symposium. One of the guest speakers was Everlyn pinkerton from BC Canada.  She pointed out that all regional councils are responsible for the seabed/fauna/shellfish/fish(in conjunction with mpi)out to the 10 mile limit. But to take on council would be costly.Who has a lazy 2 or 3 mil??

The Landing,not are you only taking on AK council but local Marae who want a cleaner Okahu Bay. Councils arguement will be ,we need to put costly containment tanks in. Hike fees up. $200 up/down $200 per day and say no DIY must use approved applicators for removing anti foul or painting. Sounds negative,but reality.

Taking on council is like protesting a race committee.soon close ranks.

https://unitaryplan.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/HTMLSept/Part 2/Chapter D/Chapter D - 5 Coastal zones.htm

5.1 General Coastal Marine zone

Zone description
The General Coastal Marine zone (GCM zone) comprises the majority of the coast, and includes the CMA that lies outside of the Marina, Mooring, Minor port, Ferry terminal, Defence or City Centre zones, and is not in a precinct.

The objectives, policies and rules of the GCM zone apply to all zones and precincts unless otherwise provided for in the zone or precinct. If an overlay applies to the area where an activity is proposed, the provisions of the overlay will also apply, including any overlay rule that applies to the activity.

The purpose of the GCM zone is to provide for use and development that has a functional need to be undertaken in the CMA, and to manage conflicts between activities, while:
Enabling appropriate use and development of the CMAs natural and physical resources to provide for our social and economic well-being.
Protecting natural character and landscape values and natural features.
Maintaining water quality and the life-supporting capacity of the marine environment.
Protecting significant ecological values.
Protecting historic heritage values.
Providing for Mana Whenua values in accordance with tikanga Māori.
Maintaining and enhancing public access, open space, recreational use and amenity values.
Avoiding and protecting development from coastal hazard risks.(This will be the stumbling block and Council will push it.Saying this why we want it closed.)
18 minutes ago, harrytom said:

The Landing,not are you only taking on AK council but local Marae who want a cleaner Okahu Bay. Councils arguement will be ,we need to put costly containment tanks in. Hike fees up. $200 up/down $200 per day and say no DIY must use approved applicators for removing anti foul or painting. Sounds negative,but reality.

The Landing already has the appropriate washdown and stormwater treatment facilities for the boat yard and this is one of the reasons people are prepare to fight for it.

It has a diverter for the washdown pad that sends the wash water to sewer when the waterblaster is in use and stormwater when the pad is clean. The stormwater from the whole yard drains to a sand filter to make sure no contaminants get into the harbour. 

The Yard worked hard to get a "Blue Ribbon" Environmental accreditation to show how clean it was. Westhaven Marina also got the same accreditation.

During the consultation, Ngati Whatua Orakei submitted in support of Option 1 (Keep the Haulout as is), so Iwi are OK with the operation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 12/04/2023 at 9:46 AM, Ed said:

A big part of the issue was the local board was responsible for setting the haul out rates, but hadnt updated them for years, hence the yard was very cheap to use, but struggled to cover its costs.

Nobody is objecting to a price hike to bring it in line with other commerical operations

On 12/04/2023 at 9:52 AM, waikiore said:

Really I thought it was the operator who set the rates for haul and launch

FYI the same Orakei local board had voted against raising their rates a few years previously.

Also, from what I heard, The Landing was actually returning "non rates revenue" to the council so it wasn't actually a drain on public coffers (and therefore a closure is NOT in the interest of improving the council's fiscal outlook)

• Upvote 1

AYBA lost this Court Case.

Auckland Council playing very dirty.

Despite closing the hardstand and booting the operator, they have told the Judge they have not yet made a decision on closing the hardstand, therefore the relief AYBA seek cannot be awarded.

The Court Decision re AYBA’s Injunction against the Closure of the Landing | Auckland Yacht & Boating Association

• Confused 1

This was just the precursor to the main Judicial Review. This round was to try and get an Interim Relief to keep the hardstand operating till the main court case scheduled in September. The Council Biosecurity expert said there was no risk to Biosecurity by closing the Landing till the main Court case, even though her team had written a memo to the Orakei Local Board saying permanently closing the Hardstand was a Biosecurity risk.   

That combined with the actual court case not that far away, the judge considered there was not merit in forcing Council to keep the Hardstand open over winter. 

The real world side of this is that the Hardstand now has to be cleared of all machinery, cradles, props, offices, etc and possibly even the stormwater filtration systems, water taps and powerboards. This is make it nearly impossible to actually re-establish the hardstand, which is what Council and the Orakei Local Board are counting on. 

The crazy thing about all of this is that the hardstand paid for most of the maintenance of the carpark, ramp and wharfs at the Landing. Council is now going to have to fund this. The floating dock is currently broken, who is going to pay to repair and make it happen?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Island Time said:

That's disappointing. But not particularly surprising....

You cant better city hall,ever protested a race committee and won!

When Legasea/option4 went before the supreme court over recreational Kahawai , cost roughly 1 mill,3 court appreances ,a win ,a lose and might say a draw,the outcome was.The minister shall provide catch rates ahead of commercial when species become low in biomass. (rough translation) so expect to spend more than that to bet council

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

trying not to be negative. But with recent events(weather since January)Think council has more to worry about the a few vessels that use the facility. When I say a few, last few yrs never saw it packed out. Remember when Westhaven had the slipway by the bridge? Use to be given the hurry up to get back as others waiting.

Due too rising costs,not just haulout but antifoul etc have joined the trailer brigade,Havent used for 4 weeks so if I had a moored vessel probaly be unused too,weather and commitments

• Downvote 1
12 hours ago, harrytom said:

trying not to be negative. But with recent events(weather since January)Think council has more to worry about the a few vessels that use the facility. When I say a few, last few yrs never saw it packed out. Remember when Westhaven had the slipway by the bridge? Use to be given the hurry up to get back as others waiting.

Due too rising costs,not just haulout but antifoul etc have joined the trailer brigade,Havent used for 4 weeks so if I had a moored vessel probaly be unused too,weather and commitments

Nonsense.

Council isn't doing anything about the weather, or the response to the flooding.

At best, Auckland Transport are dealing with the response to the flooding. Fixing roads, bus services etc. Council have nothing to do with any of that. Even the Mayor isn't doing anything (other than sleeping). Sure, the PR department have been tweeting a bit, and the Deputy has been doing pressers, that is all.

But Council still have a legislative requirement to manage biosecurity. That requirement doesn't lapse cause it rained yesterday.

Council maintains (wrongly in my view) that boats spread pests. Therefore Council are under a legal obligation, via the Biosecurity legislation, to provide a means of managing that risk. All AYBA are saying is that, to manage that risk, you need hardstands.

It is great that you found a way around needing to haul out and AF, and still spend time on the water. But you logic is entirely flawed as to Council functions and who actually does what. I'd be dead keen for you to say exactly what part of the flood response Council is spending time on, and what that has to do with the Biosecurity Team or the Local Board.

• Upvote 1

The Auckland council is broke,no $$,looking at rate hike of 22%

Yes they are responsible for bio security and seafloor/fauna/even stock out to the 10 mile limit but you stump up with $5 mill starting point and have a go.

I can just see YNZ saying we need to fight this and need $100k levy from every club and $20k from each boat owner. Give a page doesnt work as they have a page going and what was the last figure $9k??

I keep reverting back too 2013 where they outlined the plans for the okahu bay area.It was all for all to see but like so many we sat on our hands and said"this wont affect me so I will do nothing" guess what,no objection so now to put our planes in place.

Ayba/ynz missed the boat.

• Downvote 1
44 minutes ago, harrytom said:

The Auckland council is broke,no $$,looking at rate hike of 22%

Yes they are responsible for bio security and seafloor/fauna/even stock out to the 10 mile limit but you stump up with $5 mill starting point and have a go.

I can just see YNZ saying we need to fight this and need $100k levy from every club and $20k from each boat owner. Give a page doesnt work as they have a page going and what was the last figure $9k??

I keep reverting back too 2013 where they outlined the plans for the okahu bay area.It was all for all to see but like so many we sat on our hands and said"this wont affect me so I will do nothing" guess what,no objection so now to put our planes in place.

Ayba/ynz missed the boat.

So now you're saying its nothing to do with Council responding to the weather, and its because the Council is broke? Not the most compelling of arguements when they fall over immediately.

It wont cost Council anything to reinstate the hardstand. They don't have to fund it. Funding all the Matariki / Dewali / Pride celebrations costs the Council dollars, that is why we are broke.

The hardstand was always self funding. It is the service that is required for biosecurity. Again, the Council's obligations under the Biosecurity Legislation don't stop , same as the Council's obligations don't stop because it rained yesterday.

This is all about vested interests. Nothing else. I'd better stop there before I get pinged for getting into Politics, even though the subject directly relates to boating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AYBA has been fighting this since the beginning.  Plenty submitted against it but were they all counted?

Yes the give a little page is low for what we need, glad that makes some happy and perhaps its the constant negative comments that don't help either.

We have also received support from many direct into the AYBA account, but are still short.

The council needs money,  so it shuts down a business that was giving it an income and now has to come up with funds to pay a third party for security, ramp cleaning, pontoon maintenance (already parts missing), fresh water costs (although less now),  maintenance on the sewer pumps, carpark and ramp sweeping, Flotsam removal.  

I have a list of over 30 boats that now may have nowhere to haul-out.  Should you be one send me a PM.

Yes this is political and some of the things that have come to light are concerning.  AYBA is hoping to continue this fight not only because of the landing but for the future so access to the water is maintained,  is your local ramp or club safe? Do you want Hobsonville to also become a residential village?

So far the AYBA has prevented the "mooring Dolphins" (or wharf) being placed in Ak harbour, Filling Rakino's Bays with moorings, Marine farms in the Firth, Marine Farming in the Bay of Islands.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2