Garmin760s

No one does repairs as far as I can find out. Garmin are not interested in anyone doing so either. I tried to get a service agency, just a straight out NO, we have enough agents. Garmin (marine support at least) seems non existent in NZ. There are only resellers, no electronics tech support. Post up here if you find anyone who can help! 

Reminds me of:

My first GPS, a hand-held unit bought in 1997, eventually started to behave erratically some twenty years ago. At first the display was bad and then did not show anything. The device was way out of warranty and I am an electrical engineer working for a major telecom company. We have decent labs... But how do I get into the device? I was stumped.

I contacted Garmin, told them who I was, where I worked and what I wanted to do. I was actually given the email of one of their technicians/engineers in the U.S. and he told me how to open the device and wished me good luck.

I actually managed to find what had gone wrong but it was beyond my repair powers. The display driver had de-attached itself from the flexible 'board' it was soldered to -- a truly weird building practice. Hence, the GPS could still find out where it was but it could not tell me.

I bought a new GPS during my next trip to the U.S. They cost roughly twice as much in Europe.

/Martin

Last Time I had a problem I was directed to a small office in Laurie Collins at Westhaven. He seemed to know what he was doing, but whether he is still there after Covid or can do anything, I don't know.

4 hours ago, ballystick said:

How about this person http://www.efrontier.co.nz/estore/index.php?currency=NZD  I think he out SW Auckland, hard to understand when you talk to him

These guys import cheap Asian products that often don't meet AUS/NZ standards. They either don't know or don't care. They wont have access to garmin parts as they are not garmin service agents. Be aware that any radio frequency equipment that does not meet the standards is illegal to use in NZ. Seems you can sell it, you just cant use it legally. To do so (although the risk of being caught is very low) is to risk a large fine. 

• Like 1
On 19/11/2022 at 8:15 AM, alibaba said:

Last Time I had a problem I was directed to a small office in Laurie Collins at Westhaven. He seemed to know what he was doing, but whether he is still there after Covid or can do anything, I don't know.

That sounds like the Navstation where I just bought a new Garmin Echomap for our boat. Very helpful and a good price.