a big sail

24 to 25 hours

if you mean sailing then a whole lot more info required

Option 1; Are you taking a 200nm offshore high latitude yachts with tonnes of fuel and happy to round the horn ?

Option 2;  or are you going to stay in the tropics and average 4kts

option 1 is 65 to 70 days non stop

option 2 is a year or more

32 minutes ago, Jon said:

24 to 25 hours

if you mean sailing then a whole lot more info required

Option 1; Are you taking a 200nm offshore high latitude yachts with tonnes of fuel and happy to round the horn ?

Option 2;  or are you going to stay in the tropics and average 4kts

option 1 is 65 to 70 days non stop

option 2 is a year or more

Ok, that's food for thought..

1 hour ago, BatongRouge said:

Hello, does anyone here know realistically how long it would take to go from Northeast coast of NZ up to Amsterdam/Netherlands, give or take a week?

Thanking all - (p.s. well done AUS in the footy this morning!)

I know nothing about that sort of sailing, but I would have thought that a trip of that distance (approx 20,000km or 10,800nm) would be difficult to estimate down to a one-week window...

The math goes like this though - 10,800nm / 5kt average speed = 2160 hours = 90 days.  So you have to sail 24/7 for it to be a 3-month voyage.  Gear breakages, stopping for restocking of supplies, delays in the canals, weather etc are all variables that will add to the time, not subtract from it.

If I was to do this as a delivery, I'd be working on 3-4 months. Its a long way, and there will be considerable wear/tear on the boat, motor, sails and all. This is the equivalent of about 10 years of local sailing. When you consider that, the ship is not that expensive (and lot more reliable and quicker). If not sailing yourself, a delivery skipper would likely charge about $50k for that voyage, + expenses and + Crew.

If you are relocating, sell the boat here and buy another. Not really worth moving her. IMO 

4 hours ago, Island Time said:

If I was to do this as a delivery, I'd be working on 3-4 months. Its a long way, and there will be considerable wear/tear on the boat, motor, sails and all. This is the equivalent of about 10 years of local sailing. When you consider that, the ship is not that expensive (and lot more reliable and quicker). If not sailing yourself, a delivery skipper would likely charge about $50k for that voyage, + expenses and + Crew.

If you are relocating, sell the boat here and buy another. Not really worth moving her. IMO 

Am now considering just getting up to French Polynesia at least as a good workout.  Thanks

11 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I know nothing about that sort of sailing, but I would have thought that a trip of that distance (approx 20,000km or 10,800nm) would be difficult to estimate down to a one-week window...

The math goes like this though - 10,800nm / 5kt average speed = 2160 hours = 90 days.  So you have to sail 24/7 for it to be a 3-month voyage.  Gear breakages, stopping for restocking of supplies, delays in the canals, weather etc are all variables that will add to the time, not subtract from it.

That's most helpful.  Wow, this is looking like a minimum 120 day undertaking.  

4 hours ago, Island Time said:

If you are relocating, sell the boat here and buy another. Not really worth moving her. IMO 

Plus boats are cheaper there so you could either make on the deal or upgrade