Departure forms

Hello all, if you submit the form-c2b for notice of departure and have a registered EPIRB, insurance and radio does anyone come chasing you for this Safety 1 certificate?  Is this an admin step for a fully spec'd bluewater cruiser?

I am getting different takes on the what's required here.

Thks

need cat1 inspection.for overseas departure.  I personally believe should be able to sign a waiver.That you will take all resonable steps for your safety and expect no search n rescue should it go tits up ,but no the powers to be want cat1 etc

Wasnt there when columbus/cook etc went circumnavigating why do they think a lot has changed??same water same risks

I guess because the reality is, that if it does all go to custard, you WILL call for help- who wouldn't- and then others have to put themselves at some risk for you. Captain Cook didn't have any options.

Having said that, CAT 1 contains some really pedantic and stupid things which have nothing to do with safety. It would be better if CAT 1 remained to be used by the racing fraternity, and we  had a separate, basic safety scheme to check that you were OK before going offshore. I met a guy a few years ago who said he was off overseas  in his H28, and when I asked  him if you could do nav, etc and if he had a liferaft, he replied "no- I've got a hand held GPS, and a dinghy.!

• Like 1

I would like to see some consideration for experience.  I've lost count of how many times I've done cat 1, same for my boat. I have sailed around 150,000 offshore miles and experienced many of the situations they try to cover. On the strength of that I want autonomy over my vessel. 

I also think they won't make you "safe" with an equipment list. There is nothing in cat 1 about the attitude and mindset of the crew.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I still wonder what the powers to be would do if you said nothing and aimed for the barrier and kept on going? Might be difficult landing at next stop.

If MNZ were serious then they should have the powers to stop any vessel that arrives here from leaving without cat 1,we still send out snr to them

When they are checking you out, Customs will ask for a copy of the Cat1 cert and your will not get your clearance to leave NZ if you don't have one.

If you just sail out, its likely no one will stop you but when your arrive in your next port, you will be in a lot of hot water as you will not have any of the right paperwork.  They will have no idea where you came from, how many people you had aboard, did you murder your crew at sea and dump their bodies, etc, etc

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

I still wonder what the powers to be would do if you said nothing and aimed for the barrier and kept on going? Might be difficult landing at next stop.

If MNZ were serious then they should have the powers to stop any vessel that arrives here from leaving without cat 1,we still send out snr to them

It's been done. Very little mnz could do until the boat returned to nz, then went to court. The offending skipper had done it deliberately to protest the imposition of cat 1 on foreign vessels  

The court said MNZ were breaking international law and they were dickheads.

I believe that although they stopped the practice the rule( 21?) Remains on the books in case they want to be dickheads in the future. 

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

It's been done. Very little mnz could do until the boat returned to nz, then went to court. The offending skipper had done it deliberately to protest the imposition of cat 1 on foreign vessels  

The court said MNZ were breaking international law and they were dickheads.

I believe that although they stopped the practice the rule( 21?) Remains on the books in case they want to be dickheads in the future. 

Sell the boat before returning or register offshore once off shore??

Appreciate the responses.  I ask due to the hire of a highly experienced offshore helmsman, who has one take on the rules and I am carrying all the risk, as owner operator.

I am reasonably confident that all steps for good practice seamanship would be adhered to.