Two Blade Fixed Pitch Propeller

Our Heavy 38 ft Cruising yacht has a 3 bladed Max Prop  but it came with a spare 2 blade fixed pitch propeller of the same Dia and Pitch (18 x 17) The 2 blade unit has a comparatively generous blade area and I am wondering if it would be more efficient than the Max Prop . My reasoning is that the Max Prop does in comparison does not seem to have an aerofoiled chord profile and has little if any twist in the blade. I am no expert on this topic but I assume  compromises have to be made for feathering units. My experience with  2 blade folding propeller on a sail drive is they seem to have plenty of "bite" assuming the motor and prop are matched to the vessel of course. 

We can "hide" the 2 blade unit behind the fat keel so I don't think there will be any extra drag under sail. 

I understand that we would have to fit the spare and do sea trials to be sure of any difference, however any comments from propeller experts would be appreciated.

chrs

Consider if the blades and water flow pass obstructions like the dead wood, rudder or strut. When spinning if the upper and lower blades of a two blade propeller are both in time with (Close proximity) obstructions a "chatter" can develop in the drive line or rudder.

The grey or blue instances can be fine... a two bladed prop in a position such as the red  hull could be a problem.

I will say if you only motor a little this would not likely be a problem but if you find your self motoring for days....

OK.JPG

OKAY2.JPG

2 blades could be problem.JPG

• Upvote 1

my orininal salthouse 26 came fitted with a 3 blade and a spare 2 blade,swapped them over and 2 not as efficient  but drag was less,now the 2 blade ,marked shaft so blade be verticle and locked in gear. Found out quickly not a good pratice better to leave in free mode. Went back to 3 blade. not a big difference sailing cruising but would hinder if racing