NE / NNE winds at Xmas? What's the plan to head north?

1 minute ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Windy shows a swing from North through west to south west on Saturday 24th to late Sunday 25th, continuing to the end of their current forecasting on Tuesday 27th

Good one.  May the SW last through till NY day 

On 23/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, Vivaldi said:

Looking like very strong easterlies for the first part of next week :-(

Easterlies for Africa for number of days from New Years eve....completely spun out my plans ....probably have to make my way to the Eastern Gulf and just work my way up and try make use of the Easterlies as best I can rather than fight them...the wind doesn't care about my or your grand sailing plans for the new year holidays -- ah well... such is life

On 25/12/2022 at 8:03 AM, Zozza said:

Easterlies for Africa for number of days from New Years eve....completely spun out my plans ....probably have to make my way to the Eastern Gulf and just work my way up and try make use of the Easterlies as best I can rather than fight them...the wind doesn't care about my or your grand sailing plans for the new year holidays -- ah well... such is life

Where were you headed and from where?

Just trying to figure out what the E prevents you from doing and if it shoudl prevent me from doing it! :) (who knows far less of directions, sailing directions etc.)

16 minutes ago, Rgvkiwi said:

Where were you headed and from where?

Just trying to figure out what the E prevents you from doing and if it shoudl prevent me from doing it! :) (who knows far less of directions, sailing directions etc.)

Giday Rg... firstly I am solo sailing, so can't rely on a crew to share overnight watches etc
I would say my experience is 'low to medium'...i.e I have not been up and down the coast 20 years in a row like some of you on here...a handful of times - yes

I want to head for Barrier (Port Fitzroy area) and then to Bay of Islands with a couple stops....from tomorrow I have to work for three days, then Im off for a month...the SWs' run out Friday evening and from Saturday all the wind models are showing building easterlies for days and days and days....my boat points "ok" for a 26 footer, but as I understand it, the easterlies will bring a big sloppy swell...I guess I could just suck it up and forgo Barrier and maybe do that on way home and take the easterlies on the beam, big sloppy swell and all...

Of course, and easterly makes the whole of the coast from Whangaparoa (where I am based) a lee shore, and while I don't think conditions will be dangerous, as I'm solo I just need to make sure I have a sound plan and don't do more than one overnighter in a row....

Any tips appreciated,

Cheers 

8 hours ago, Zozza said:

Giday Rg... firstly I am solo sailing, so can't rely on a crew to share overnight watches etc
I would say my experience is 'low to medium'...i.e I have not been up and down the coast 20 years in a row like some of you on here...a handful of times - yes

I want to head for Barrier (Port Fitzroy area) and then to Bay of Islands with a couple stops....from tomorrow I have to work for three days, then Im off for a month...the SWs' run out Friday evening and from Saturday all the wind models are showing building easterlies for days and days and days....my boat points "ok" for a 26 footer, but as I understand it, the easterlies will bring a big sloppy swell...I guess I could just suck it up and forgo Barrier and maybe do that on way home and take the easterlies on the beam, big sloppy swell and all...

Of course, and easterly makes the whole of the coast from Whangaparoa (where I am based) a lee shore, and while I don't think conditions will be dangerous, as I'm solo I just need to make sure I have a sound plan and don't do more than one overnighter in a row....

Any tips appreciated,

Cheers 

I dont have any toips for you. My tips would likely just be poor advice :)

Congrats on even planning such a big journey. I hope you give us updates as to how you go and wish you all the best.

My planned journey is from Gulf harbour to Kawau with a (sailing) sensitive wife and 7 year old daughter. Friday looks ideal at 13 knts SW, the return Monday /Tuesday at 20 knts NE predicted, not so much. I think we'll be fine if it doesn't go any higher than that.... fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, Rgvkiwi said:

“…with a (sailing) sensitive wife”

“Sailing Sensitive Wife” - ‘SSW’ -  luv it!  We finally have some to rival the ‘SWMBO’ (She Who Must Be Obeyed) acronym the Pommie Sailors use sll the time… 😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Zozza said:

“Sailing Sensitive Wife” - ‘SSW’ -  luv it!  We finally have some to rival the ‘SWMBO’ (She Who Must Be Obeyed) acronym the Pommie Sailors use sll the time… 😁

In the audiophile world they refer to speakers having either a high or low WAF, alongside the electrical metrics.  Turns out WAF is Wife Approval Factor

12 hours ago, Zozza said:

Any tips appreciated,

Cheers 

run north with the easterlies,why slog to windward?

• Like 1