Liferaft Stowage Options

I have been looking into options for a life raft and was keen on a 6 man Crewsaver in a valise. After making a scale cardboard model to the stated packed  dimensions I found It cant fit it in the cockpit locker which was the preferred option , its close but not close enough.

Next Option then is to get a smaller 4 man raft or stow it somewhere else, the two other  options seem to be the deck or maybe in the fwd V berth which wont be occupied when passage making. I'm not so keen on the deck option even though I see it is common because I would be worried about it being washed off . The boat has stout Iroko grab rails on the coach roof but I still would not trust them to restrain a 50Kg raft. We could probably also stow one behind the companionway steps.

Well a bit of a ramble here but any input is appreciated.

2 hours ago, Frank said:

The boat has stout Iroko grab rails on the coach roof but I still would not trust them to restrain a 50Kg raft.

I would more question my ability to wrestle a 50kg item above deck while the hull was rapidly filling with cold seawater at 0300hrs, 700km offshore...

I guess we worry about different things.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I would more question my ability to wrestle a 50kg item above deck while the hull was rapidly filling with cold seawater at 0300hrs, 700km offshore...

I guess we worry about different things.

Yes, I must admit that had crossed my mind as well, they are awkward puppies at the best of times. 

8 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

I once had a valise repacked from a suitcase shape into a rollbag of the same volume.

Might be an option to get it repacked to fit into the locker? 

Good suggestion, I will check 

7 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I suspended a valise above a quarter berth with a couple of snap shackles for quick release 

Worth a look , and I started watching you tube videos on this, In America they seem to prefer a hard case and a dedicated SS cradle bolted to the Coach Roof . One thought was to use a "soft Cradle"  or basically a webbing harness made  so that it was impossible for the raft to escape any opening. There would be a draw string  lashing through  loops on the top , pulling them together like the top of a duffle bag . The Cradle itself would be lashed to deck tiedowns which I may need to retrofit. One cut of the purse string and it is deployed.

My one is mounted in a stainless steel cradle on the Pushpit. Pretty nicely tucked out of the way and has a quick release strap around it. 

If you just need it for a voyage then you are welcome to borrow the cradle as I have taken it off for my summer cruise along with all that other stuff cluttering up the back end of the boat. 

20220923_110330.jpg

Thanks for the offer, I saw a few pushpit mounted ones on U Tube, Im considering that and also the deck fwd of the dodger, for both locations I would use a Hard case pack. I will PM you if I need a cradle. (Nice boat BTW ) 

13 hours ago, B00B00 said:

My one is mounted in a stainless steel cradle on the Pushpit. Pretty nicely tucked out of the way and has a quick release strap around it. 

If you just need it for a voyage then you are welcome to borrow the cradle as I have taken it off for my summer cruise along with all that other stuff cluttering up the back end of the boat. 

20220923_110330.jpg

What has happened to Rogue 2 - back on the market?

3 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

What has happened to Rogue 2 - back on the market?

Sold it about 6 months ago. She was a great boat but after a wet windy Easter cruise and being stuck inside a 35ft race boat with 3 boys we decided to stretch ourselves and get a proper cruiser again. Brought this one into NZ from New Caledonia in October.