VHF radio help

Last season our radio seemed to stop recieving. 

It powers on and the squelch works I just dont seem to be receiving anything.

Can someone tell me what chanel the weather is on? I figure there is at least a weather channel I should be able to hear from Gulf Harbour, can someone confirm that and the channel?

Just replaced aerial and cable with no effect, I want to make sure its not operator error before I buy a new radio as well.

3 hours ago, SeaAir said:

Hi... try channels 19..20 or 21 depending on which part of the gulf you're in.   Good luck...  

Yeah, I tried that last night with nothing. Might have to commit to new radio.

Thank you.

Two most common issues with VHF: Aerial failure (or connection)

Voltage insufficient for good transmission   (too small DC wires feeding it)

• Like 1

1. Double check that you have it set to "International

2. Use channel 64 for inner gulf, or , from Gulf Harbour, channel 60. Do a radio check with coastguard radio- they are happy to do it.

3.Technically, we should all have VHF licences, [ and you CAN do that online] but... Coastguard would rather you use the radio for safety even if you haven't got a licence yet. I can't see any way that anyone can chase you up anyway.

Merry christmas

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, alibaba said:

1. Double check that you have it set to "International

2. Use channel 64 for inner gulf, or , from Gulf Harbour, channel 60. Do a radio check with coastguard radio- they are happy to do it.

3.Technically, we should all have VHF licences, [ and you CAN do that online] but... Coastguard would rather you use the radio for safety even if you haven't got a licence yet. I can't see any way that anyone can chase you up anyway.

Merry christmas

Can be used in emergency use only. Coastguard will ask you for a call sign

Yep- they will, but callsigns have nothing to do with VHF licences. So- you can  have a callsign, which is a good idea anyway, as it a] identifies your boat [as  130 plus boats on the gulf are called "kingfisher",]  and b] if you don't have a callsign, they will give you a temporary one to identify your vessel until you do.

Coastguard are not interested in any enforcement, they are only concerned about your safety. So feel free to call coastguard radio, set up a trip report [ or use the free coastguard app ] and be safer. Coastguard do not report people for not  having a licence etc.

eg as I have clearly heard several times over the radio. ---"coastguard radio - this is [ for example] bluebird". Response - " bluebird- do you have a callsign. NO, no callsign. "Bluebird, until you get your own callsign, we will allocate you a temporary one,. Where do you normally launch [ etc] "bayswater- your temp callsign is "Bluebrid - Bayswater, go ahead with your trip report.

easy. Doesn't have to be an emergency.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, alibaba said:

Yep- they will, but callsigns have nothing to do with VHF licences. So- you can  have a callsign, which is a good idea anyway, as it a] identifies your boat [as  130 plus boats on the gulf are called "kingfisher",]  and b] if you don't have a callsign, they will give you a temporary one to identify your vessel until you do.

Coastguard are not interested in any enforcement, they are only concerned about your safety. So feel free to call coastguard radio, set up a trip report [ or use the free coastguard app ] and be safer. Coastguard do not report people for not  having a licence etc.

eg as I have clearly heard several times over the radio. ---"coastguard radio - this is [ for example] bluebird". Response - " bluebird- do you have a callsign. NO, no callsign. "Bluebird, until you get your own callsign, we will allocate you a temporary one,. Where do you normally launch [ etc] "bayswater- your temp callsign is "Bluebrid - Bayswater, go ahead with your trip report.

easy. Doesn't have to be an emergency.

Appreciate the advide thank you, presumably ch 16 isn't ideal for this kind of chat. From Gulf Harbour and north to Kawau region, what is the best channel to use?

Outer Gulf is channel 60. However, if you can see the skytower, use 64.  When you get as far up as Whangarei 60 slides into 05. Ship to ship locally is 62. Channel 16 doesn't belong to Coastguard anyway, its a Maritime NZ channel. You can still use  it, Coastguard will be monitoring it in case of emergencies, If you call maritime on 16 they will then move you to a working channel - channel 71 in this area - to take the rest of your call.

Look forward to listening out for you.

• Like 1

FYI- I have just bought the GME GX700 from Burnsco as the new antenna didn't work.

I have tried pressing the INTERNATIONAL button and unless im doing it wrong still not working. Though I suspect it is related.

I figure its just not worth the hassle (im running out of time...weather depending) so gave in today and got the radio :)

Appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

3 hours ago, alibaba said:

As a side note, I recently discovered that the callsign and MMSI actually belongs to the person who registers it and then that person can associate them to a boat.

When you sell the boat, the callsign and MMSI number don't go with it unless the owner transfers them for a $50 fee.

• Like 2

If you’ve replaced the aerial and radio and still not working can only be power ?

are you receiving on any channels  ?

Try listening on 60 or 62, there should be endless chatter of trip reports with Coastguard, especially on weekends

Turn volume to max, adjust squelch until it screams at you then back until it stops. Check your on International not USA or Canada 

As long as the Ariel is screwed in tight and the red wire is connected to a positive supply and the black wire to a ground/neutral they just work.

Maybe post where your cruising whilst away and someone can row over and have a look for you

3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Take the new radio back to Burnsco and swap for a handheld VHF.  They just work!

Yes, that was a consideration.

I did wonder about the range with such a short, close to sea level antenna though.

SO.......murphies law.

Apparently you have to hold down the INTL button rather than just press it.

Now our old Apelco radio works fine, with the old aerial!!!

Agggghhhhh. Hoep Burnsco will accept the return.

But it turns out our approx 2 yr old Deep Cycle Battery might be dying!

Boats!

Hopefully a nice slow charge over the next few days is the solution.

You shouldn't need to hold the international button while transmitting. That means that you have to use both hands for the radio. All radios should be able to be SET to either US or International.

Please don't go the handheld way, the height of the aerial for VHF - line of sight- is critical.

I would keep your new radio, the technology has been changing quite a bit over the last few years.