VHF radio help

18 hours ago, alibaba said:

You shouldn't need to hold the international button while transmitting. That means that you have to use both hands for the radio. All radios should be able to be SET to either US or International.

Please don't go the handheld way, the height of the aerial for VHF - line of sight- is critical.

I would keep your new radio, the technology has been changing quite a bit over the last few years.

For some reason, maybe turning the main battery switch off (? ..or maybe im just presssing the buttons by accident...)) the radio defaults to not INTL. Switching it to INTL leaves it there until...I don't know what or why yet. Still working through that.

Yeah, the new one woudl fit better as well....Still a work in progress.

Appreciate the advice :)

12 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Serious question, what do you guys use it for?

The boat? Sailing around  the gulf. 1 day or 2-4 day trips at the most. So far anyway.

The Radio? Weather, reporting trips.... Mayday if required :)

Having a 7 year old daughter on board, im a bit more conscious of these things nowadays. Though I was pretty on to it in previous boats. Being trailer sailers back then, I was pretty cautious then as well. 

On 20/12/2022 at 9:01 PM, CarpeDiem said:

As a side note, I recently discovered that the callsign and MMSI actually belongs to the person who registers it and then that person can associate them to a boat.

When you sell the boat, the callsign and MMSI number don't go with it unless the owner transfers them for a $50 fee.

Got me thinking.A) must have licence to operate VHF    B ) call sign.   Now funny bit is I can walk to any marine shop and buy explosives,no licence,no idea how to use. Wonder MNZ will click to that problem??

Technically correct, but who is going to chase me up if I use my VHF without a licence? How would anyone know I didn't have one? If I put a trip report in with Coastguard, I Usually put it in with my boat name, not my name, so I'm a "nonny mouse".

Guys/girls - buy a VHF and use it to stay safe, particularly on the West Coast.

There is also a free app put out by Coastguard on which you can put in your trip reports. If you fail to turn up/return at the appointed time the person you nominate gets notified. They can then take action on  your behalf.

On 28/12/2022 at 8:04 AM, alibaba said:

There is also a free app put out by Coastguard on which you can put in your trip reports. If you fail to turn up/return at the appointed time the person you nominate gets notified. They can then take action on  your behalf.

HaHa Yes I laugh,logged a trip report a few times and forgot to close off. C/G never made contact with me via cellphone,they have my details etc. I guess its not tlll you go missing a family member contacts them then action starts.

Almost right. The app notifies your nominated contact, not Coastguard. It is up to the nominated contact - your partner say - to take action by notifying Coastguard etc. There is no way that Coastguard could check on all the overdue calls which are not self cleared on the East Coast, they only check on West Coast Bar crossings. After all, on a typical summers day like yesterday, the Coastguard ops centre will take well over 1000 calls.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, harrytom said:

HaHa Yes I laugh,logged a trip report a few times and forgot to close off. C/G never made contact with me via cellphone,they have my details etc. I guess its not tlll you go missing a family member contacts them then action starts.

We logged a trip using the app, we were late arriving and couldn't close it on the app, they contacted NOK who then paniced and checked up on us!

It works as stated on the box from our experience.

• Like 2