Heading out on Wednesday...

Came back to Gulf Harbour today. Got bored after 4 days at anchor, wanted a sail. It was brisk out there, 30-40 odd knots, couple of meters of sea. I’ll do some maintenance, and go out again in a few days…

• Upvote 2

Had a great non stop sail up to BOI on Xmas day evening (left Weiti at 11pm rounded Cape Brett at 3pm) got sunburnt and enjoyed typical BOI cruising for maybe 4-5 days before it turned. Luckily had a mates mooring Sussed in Matauwhi Bay and hooked onto that new years day. Had a vehicle up there and made a few day trips to get kids off the boat, Russell Vehicle Ferry did well out of us.

Went up to Cape Reinga and overnighted at Pukenui Holiday Park, surfed the dunes at Te Paki in horrendous breeze, generally made the best of a damp situation.

Last night, steady 30kt puffs close in bur a comfortable sleep. Same can't be said for poor souls anchored at outer edges of mooring field.

Brass Tacks still on mooring, baled this morning ro drive back to Whangaparaoa and will return to convert it to Bar/Dormitory for Hotdogger Crew this BOI Race Week.

Finally after 5 years of BOI new years trips we've had a sh*t one. At least itmayhelp convince missus that the Barrier isn't cursed!

20230104_211502.jpg

• Haha 1

And........ it's still raining!  thats 3 solid days but on the bright side there is variety. It goes from  tropical to steady showers to medium drizzle and so on. Apparently the sun is coming out on Sunday 🤣

• Haha 1

The rain has finally stopped for us in the far north.  Even a few patches of blue sky appearing.

Making the most of the fine spell and departed Mangonui heading to Matai bay and onto the KariKari peninsula. Hopefully the kids can get some beach time and surfing after 5 days of wind and rain.  Still keeping a close eye on this next storm but the far north seems to get a fair bit less of it. 

I've given up on January, will try again early February - being semi retired I do have the choice of when I go - many of you don't.

A mate sent me a snapshot of Coastguard nowcast at Channel island this morning - ave 50, gusting 69. 

I suggested storm kite and a reef - or maybe two.....................not that he was there, he was safely in Westhaven wondering (like the rest of us up here) why summer lasted for 8 days.................sigh.

😄