Storm Jib for Cat 1

I am working through the checklist for Cat 1 and it requires both a storm jib and a heavy weather jib.

Our boat has an inner forestay with a staysail on a furler, and the inspector has advised that this does not cover the storm jib requirement only the heavy weather Jib he also recommends that the storm jib should not be a furling sail, therefore I assume it would need to be a free luff sail just attached at the head, and tack .

I'm interested to know what others have used in this regard and how it was rigged (particularly Matt of IT if you are online :-)

Chrs

You can get an attachment that loops around the furled sail.

882_8250-2_cmyk.jpg

Particularly useful if you have a furler, cause what happens is people can reduce sail area over time as the wind increases, finally you're down to a handkerchief in 40knots and it is suddenly impossible to unfurl, drop and hoist a storm jib in its place.

I assume if your staysail is on a furler it's removable? In which case you could have a storm jib in it's place with a Dyneema luff cord so you can crank it on tight. But that would depend on if your boat performs with the centre of effort moved aft. 

Out storm job is luff tape, but we don't partially furl while racing. If we need to change sail area we go bare headed and change down through j1>j2>j3> j4>storm but that would suck cruising... 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

"I assume if your staysail is on a furler it's removable? In which case you could have a storm jib in it's place with a Dyneema luff cord so you can crank it on tight. But that would depend on if your boat performs with the center of effort moved aft. "

Problem with this scenario is if you find yourself in a wind strength where the jib is too large and you want to downsize to the storm jib... you need to first unfurl the jib fully to drop it. This is why I always consider a hanked on staysail to an inner forestay as the only practical option.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Thanks for all the helpful responses, I'll have to give this some thought and try and keep any solution  simple, with the wrap-around and sleeve types they seem an ingenious solution but I would be worried about chafe over an extended period.

The staysail is small and i have noticed it drops like  stone  when the halyard is released. 

I will talk  my local sailmaker but I think two options

1. Drop the staysail and hoist the storm jib in the vacant  luff groove, (be conservative and change early) 

2. Furl the Staysail and hoist the storm jib pre-threaded on a spectra "wire luff" using a spare halyard.

Either way it Looks Like B and G sails will be getting a bit more of my money soon :-)

I would have thought that when we get down to storm jib conditions we will probably be looking to Heave to whereupon Jim Lott advises we are unlikely to want any sail forward of the mast just the main with no 4 reef. This makes me wonder if it is something that might never be used, well that would be a good thing I suppose. 

It seems the staysail only works in harmony with the Genoa when reaching with the wind fwd of the beam so if we replace it with the storm jib at the start of the  passage its  pre-rigged. and ready to go.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

I would have thought that when we get down to storm jib conditions we will probably be looking to Heave to whereupon Jim Lott advises we are unlikely to want any sail forward of the mast just the main with no 4 reef. This makes me wonder if it is something that might never be used, well that would be a good thing I suppose. 

Agree with Jim there, true for nearly any modernish single masted boat. But you m8ght want the storm jib for running or reaching in gale force winds.